DVD Talk
How long do dvd players last? I was told that if I get 3 yrs use, i'm lucky. [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : How long do dvd players last? I was told that if I get 3 yrs use, i'm lucky.

Flare65
10-26-03, 06:50 PM
The tech guy at Best Buy claims that if you get three to four years use of a dvd player, your lucky as they tend to fail after a few years use.

My JVC plaer is over three years old and still works fine. I can see more problems happening with a VCR than a dvd player as VCR players have belts, gears etc..

What usually goes wrong with dvd players? How long do they last?

nickmondo1
10-26-03, 06:53 PM
I've had my since 98 and it works fine. I guess it depends how well you take care of them.

Laser Movies
10-26-03, 07:09 PM
My Pioneer DVL 909 is still going strong over five years after I purchased it. I don't know how many hours of use it actually has on it but until recently I would say it averaged about 2-3 hours everyday.

matome
10-26-03, 07:13 PM
I guess it also blows down to you get what you pay for. I would have to imagine that a $1000 Sony player will last a lot longer than a $40 Cyberhome one, just on component quality alone.

aphex944
10-26-03, 07:56 PM
My Panasonic A110 from '97 still works perfectly despite all the problems it was known to have.

Mickey
10-26-03, 08:15 PM
My Panasonic gets an average of 4-5 hours use a day and it's about 3-4 years old, still working fine (touch wood).

I bought an Apex for a friend and it lasted all of about 4 months.

Bronkster
10-26-03, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by Flare65
The tech guy at Best Buy ...
:lol:

I'm sorry, but that just busted me up :)

Sessa17
10-26-03, 08:42 PM
The tech guy at Best Buy claims that if you get three to four years use of a dvd player, your lucky as they tend to fail after a few years use.

My JVC plaer is over three years old and still works fine. I can see more problems happening with a VCR than a dvd player as VCR players have belts, gears etc..

My first DVD player I ever got was in 1996, so that is going on 8 years old, & this thing was bought right around when players first really hit the market, the thing even had Divx in it, it's so old. And the player is still going strong, never had a problem with it. It's not my main player anymore obviously, but it still get's used often & I never had a problem with it. So I think it's safe to say they last a lot longer than 3 years. And when did Best Buy get tech guys:)

mzupeman2
10-26-03, 08:46 PM
I have an RCA player that I have had so far for four years. Although last january I bought a new DVD player just for the hell of it so I can watch VCD and SVCD's on it... the RCA still works fine!

candyrocket786
10-26-03, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by Mickey
I bought an Apex for a friend and it lasted all of about 4 months.

I've had my APEX for almost 3 years and it still works absolutely FANTASTIC!!!!!!! :banana:

I use it every-DAMN-day.....and still not a problem.

- Flare65

Don't listen to BB employees......hell, don't even talk to them.

Just make your purchase, smile and run away. ;)

emanon
10-26-03, 09:43 PM
I can see more problems happening with a VCR than a dvd player as VCR players have belts, gears etc..

I guess the DVDs put in your player just remain stationary, then? Mine tend to spin when I'm playing them...

bdhart
10-26-03, 10:57 PM
I bought mine in Sept. 1997 and it still plays fine.

ScottyWH
10-26-03, 11:29 PM
DVD Players also have belts, gears, etc... and FWIW, my first player has 4+ years of heavy use now and still going strong.

Snarff
10-26-03, 11:36 PM
My panasonic is pushing 7 years and it still plays fine

speedy1961
10-26-03, 11:49 PM
My Pioneer 525 is at 4+ years.

BizRodian
10-26-03, 11:51 PM
I've found places like Best Buy tend to hire people to be salesmen and not people who know anything.

Thunderball
10-26-03, 11:57 PM
My Sony 550D went 5 years, and I finally just bought a new one. Not because it died, but because I wanted a new shiny silver one.

cruzness
10-27-03, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by BizRodian
I've found places like Best Buy tend to hire people to be salesmen and not people who know anything.

I agree. I've had my Sony for 4 yrs and as long as I clean the lens ocassionally, I have no problems.

kevin75
10-27-03, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by Bronkster
:lol:

I'm sorry, but that just busted me up :) yeah, me too.

nexus_7
10-27-03, 12:25 AM
of the 5 or 6 dvd players I have goten over the past 6 or so years and only one died. and one lives is a nasty rat hole of my basement. :)

Greg

DVDRunner
10-27-03, 12:46 AM
still running strong on a Toshiba SD-2109 from '99

spainlinx0
10-27-03, 01:02 AM
What you mean when you say Best Buy Tech Guy is "Employee who will say anything about a product to get you to buy the service plan." I still have nightmares about working there. I remember I went back there to return a walkman and I heard one employee flat out telling a customer that his TV would break, and he NEEDS the service plan. I don't know about anyone else, but if a TV I buy is destined to break, I'm probably not buying that TV.

renaldow
10-27-03, 08:35 AM
I've got an Apex 600A that's a few years old and still going strong.

While most DVD players should last 3 years and more, one thing to look at is that technology changes extremely fast when it comes to DVD players. A $99 player today has better video and audio than a $300 player from 2 years ago. The quality gap between a sub $99 player and an $800 player is narrowing. In the last few months home theater mags have commenting on this in their reviews.

I don't know that I would want a DVD player to last 3 years, at least right now. Soon, aside from a few remarkable models, most DVD players will be about equal, regardless of price point. Until that happens though I'd suggest upgrading players every couple of years (assuming you have a TV that would allow you to tell the difference.)

To the posters complaining about the statement that VCR's have more moving parts than a DVD player: Take one of each apart and see for yourself.

F For Fake
10-27-03, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by DVDRunner

Same here. :thumbsup:

darkside
10-27-03, 09:35 AM
My Sony S300 is 5 years old and still going strong. However, I had an onkyo that failed after a year.

MarcinL
10-27-03, 09:39 AM
I have had Pioneer DV500 in 97, Sony 330D in 99 Apex AD600A in 2000 and now I have the Sony 725 and i had no problems wit any of them, Although for some reason APEX would not play BAD BOYS SE and PATRIOT, both which had the same problem, would get stuck in the menu, both were Columbia Tristar releases

PixyJunket
10-27-03, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by speedy1961
My Pioneer 525 is at 4+ years. Ditto. Plus, I leave mine on loop every night with a commentary to help me sleep so it's gotten a hefty workout. :)

Brian Shannon
10-27-03, 10:04 AM
The tech guy at Best Buy claims that if you get three to four years use of a dvd player, your lucky as they tend to fail after a few years use. :rolleyes:

I have two Sony DVD players, one is three years old, one is 6 years old. Both work just fine.

eXcentris
10-27-03, 10:11 AM
Except for developing a case of "trayitis" my old Sony S7000 works fine. Trayitis is a condition whereby the DVD tray refuses to stay out. When you press the "open/close" button, the tray comes out but immediately pops back in. You just have to be really quick to put the disc in or get it out. I assume that this condition is a form of DVD player Parkinson's or arthritis specific to older DVD players. :)

Thunderball
10-27-03, 10:14 AM
The tech guy at Best Buy tried getting me into a dark corner of his "workshop" and asked me to close my eyes and apply some lotion he was going to squirt on me.

Oh wait...

friendly DVD collector
10-27-03, 11:20 AM
My Sony S300 still plays great after 5 years, but recently has begun making some concerning noises when loading up particular disks. Sounds like scraping/shuffling, but the dvds are unharmed.

Count_Zero
10-27-03, 12:15 PM
Had my Panasonic A100 since March 1998 and it still runs perfectly (never even had the firmware upgrade that many have found necessary for this particular model). I keep waiting for it to bite the dust but my luck's holding out... :)

basaro
10-27-03, 12:34 PM
I have a JVC, i think it's a XV-SA70, something like that. It's a decent player, cost over $200, and I've only had it for 2 years.

The laser just burned out (the player freezes around the 45min. mark), and it is at the shop right now getting repaired. The tech estimates the new laser will cost about $100.

Ouch!

Based on most of the other posts here, mine should still be going strong, but I guess I don't have that kind of luck. :(

SIUmark
10-27-03, 01:21 PM
My Toshiba that is 6 years old is fine. My sister uses it. My Sony is 3 years old. It is fabulous. I won't replace it with flimsier Sony models made now. I bought my parents a JVC dvd player a few Christmas' ago and it is junk. It was junk pretty much when I bought it.

DonnachaOne
10-27-03, 01:32 PM
The Best Buy tech wants you to buy a servce plan. That's it. No profit is made off the player - you need to buy the service plan. Don't forget the monster cable! And netflix!
True. I knew more about DVDs than anyone else in my store, but I was put in home theater, selling TVs (and on occasion, stereos, which I knew nothing about).

munedaddy
10-27-03, 01:44 PM
When Victorola is 89 years old and still going strong. However I am wearing out from cranking it and it keeps scratching my dvd's.

kmac
10-27-03, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by DonnachaOne
The Best Buy tech wants you to buy a servce plan. That's it. No profit is made off the player - you need to buy the service plan. Don't forget the monster cable! And netflix!

True. I knew more about DVDs than anyone else in my store, but I was put in home theater, selling TVs (and on occasion, stereos, which I knew nothing about).

I worked at BB also in Home Theater. I was told to sell those damn PSPs and monster cable. I got in trouble whenever someone bought a DVD player, audio system or TV without a PSP or cabling.

Management actually told me to make a customer carry their own TV out if they didn't buy a service plan. I am sure is not BB policy, but one of my manager's told me to do that. I didn't listen to him.

I was damn good at selling (or swindling) those plans though. I used to tell people that their DVD player would not last if they didn't have it cleaned every 3 months like the manual says.

Josh H
10-27-03, 02:18 PM
The Toshiba I got in 1999 still works fine.

Best Buy employees will tell you anything to talk you into getting the warranty.

How many warranties they sell is part of their performance evaluaations. If they don't meet a certain quota they can be fired.

kmac
10-27-03, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
\How many warranties they sell is part of their performance evaluaations. If they don't meet a certain quota they can be fired.

Actually, to my knowledge this in not completely accurate. BB got into trouble with this due to a 60 minutes investigation about 3 years ago. They do not include this in the performance evaluation, but they degrade you and ridicule you if you do not sell them.

kmac
10-27-03, 03:06 PM
Also, I have a Toshiba 5109 and it has lasted for about 4 years. I gave my Sony that I got in 1997 or 98 to my parent's and it still works great!

cloudburst
10-27-03, 03:07 PM
I have had 2 break on me but the combined price I paid for both of those was about $250 so I guess you get what you pay for. But the second one I got was a Panasonic Rv-31 which came highly reviewed on amazon.com and other sites so that was very disappointing.

Duodenum
10-27-03, 04:29 PM
"The tech guy at Best Buy claims"

that should be all the answer you need.

Spooky
10-27-03, 04:41 PM
This thread actually got me thinking...I've had about 3 VCRs go out on me in my "VCR years", but I currently own 4 DVD players...the newest is about two years old and the oldest dates back to Feb. of 1998, and I've never had problems with any of them.

Of course, I haven't been buying those $75 players either...but I would say a DVD player should last as long as a CD player, if not longer.

Josh H
10-27-03, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Spooky

Of course, I haven't been buying those $75 players either...but I would say a DVD player should last as long as a CD player, if not longer.

Yep, and the single disc cd player I use in my HT has been in fairly heavy use for 11 years. Only problem is sometimes when you hit the open button the drawer will just keep going in and out rather than stopping out.

MJKTool
10-27-03, 06:05 PM
I've bought 3 Sony DVD players dating back to 1999 and they all still run perfectly fine. The Best Buy "Tech" is FOS.

Alan Smithee
10-27-03, 06:35 PM
My Pioneer DVL-909 is still my main player and works great, though it's been to the shop 3 times (twice for skipping on side B of laserdiscs). I'll keep using it for DVDs until I get a new TV that had progressive scan inputs. I've got 4 other DVD players (including 2 cheapos, a PS2 and a recorder) but I still like the Pioneer the best.
One of my 2 VHS machines is from 1987 and has only been to the shop once for a cleaning, and I've got a CED videodisc player from 1982 that still works!

jough
10-27-03, 07:57 PM
The first DVD Player hit the market just over six years ago, so anyone claiming to have a seven-year-old DVD player is a DAMNED LIAR!

jough
10-27-03, 07:58 PM
My five year old Sony works just fine with an abundance of use - I used to have it running around 6 hours a day (always something playing in the background) for about the first year I owned it.

Now it's just down to 2-3 hours a day.

DonnachaOne
10-28-03, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by kmac
Actually, to my knowledge this in not completely accurate. BB got into trouble with this due to a 60 minutes investigation about 3 years ago. They do not include this in the performance evaluation, but they degrade you and ridicule you if you do not sell them.
I was fired after three "exit interviews" where people claimed I helped them and did not offer all of the attachment deals. If you do not sell service plans, you're gone.

The Bus
10-28-03, 08:05 AM

Every place hires people to be salespeople. Sales people create sales and revenue. Best Buy, in general, just hires uninformed children.

Iron_Giant
10-28-03, 10:13 AM
I have had 2 DVD players burn out on me.

Sony 360 and a Panasonic. Sony last about 2 1/2 years and the Panasonic lasted about 1 1/2 years - I must be rough on players.

I now have a JVC RXDV3SL and a CyberHome, I hope they will last for over 3 years

kmac
10-28-03, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by DonnachaOne
I was fired after three "exit interviews" where people claimed I helped them and did not offer all of the attachment deals. If you do not sell service plans, you're gone.

That doesn't suprise me. I worked there before the 60 Minute investigation and was told that if I did not sell them, then I would be written up and eventually fired. After I left, I saw the investigation on TV with the anonymous, disgruntled Best Buy employees. Best Buy supposedly changed their policies about employees selling PSPs.

For a short period of time after that, it was so nice to go in Best Buy and not be hassled about PSPs. But, recently, it seems to be prevelant again. Bummer.

aam1
10-28-03, 11:46 AM
Bought A Panny A310 in Nov '98. It started doing all the bad things 3 months later, but it just wont die!

kmac
10-28-03, 11:52 AM
I was mistaken. It was a 48 hours investigation. Here is the link....

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2000/09/20/48hours/main235079.shtml

I worked at Best Buy in Jan/Feb of 2000 (mainly for the discount hehe).

Iron_Giant
10-28-03, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by kmac
I was mistaken. It was a 48 hours investigation. Here is the link....

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2000/09/20/48hours/main235079.shtml

I worked at Best Buy in Jan/Feb of 2000 (mainly for the discount hehe).
The only true problem the report told was computer software not being covered.

I'm sorry, but software is never covered in computers sales.

BB should tell people, but the salesperson did tell the buyer what was covered. The buyer did the correct thing and talked to the computer company.

I do not see BB at fault in this issue.

I have never bought the extended warrenty at any BB, I may buy one of for the Sony or Samsung TV that I am going to buy there in the next few months.

Duodenum
10-28-03, 12:43 PM
i think it just boils down to common sense- VCRs depend on lots of moving parts and wear down the heads and media during the course of normal use. DVD players just spin the disc up, and move the laser assembly.

kmac
10-28-03, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by Iron_Giant
The only true problem the report told was computer software not being covered.

I'm sorry, but software is never covered in computers sales.

BB should tell people, but the salesperson did tell the buyer what was covered. The buyer did the correct thing and talked to the computer company.

I do not see BB at fault in this issue.

I have never bought the extended warrenty at any BB, I may buy one of for the Sony or Samsung TV that I am going to buy there in the next few months.

I disagree. CBS only encountered the software issue, but the former employees in the story told of lying to customers and pressure from managers to sell the PSPs. I know this was true because I experienced it first hand.

I was told numerous times that I would be written up if I did not sell them. I was also told not to help customers take merchandise out of the store if they did not buy a PSP (TVs and such). I was told to put the merchandise on the cart and then walk away.

Best Buy got into trouble for this.

kmac
10-28-03, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Iron_Giant

The PSPs on appliances and large TVs (over 27 inches) are not bad deals anymore. They lowered the prices on them to make them more affordable. These are in-home services.

The big screen TV plans used to be $450 when I worked there. It was difficult to sell them! Sometime after the story above, they lowered the big screen tv plan prices to $299 (i think this is the correct price).

The in-home service is pretty good and I would not fault someone for wanting it on a large purchase.

Orlando
10-28-03, 01:46 PM
I had a JVC 501 die after 8 months 2 months after the warranty expired. I had a Sony 560 that died after about 2 years. So I guess my luck is not that good either. And I am really nice to my equipment. I guess luck of the draw. But decent ones are so inexpensive lately that I usually just use it as an excuse for an upgrade.

007bugs
10-28-03, 03:07 PM
My first, a Pioneer, lasted about a year and half. I next bought a Samsung from Best Buy that was bad out of the box, however since I didn't buy the extended service deal I had to ship to Samsung for repair. $20 in shipping later, Samsung of course found nothing wrong and sent it back. I've had a $90 JVC for about a year now and it shuts down during play during about 10% of movies plus the picture is terrible, but I am not ready to buy a 4th player in less than 3 years just yet.

rdodolak
10-28-03, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by bdhart
I bought mine in Sept. 1997 and it still plays fine.

Same here and still works like it is new, nor have I had one problem with the player.

mikewendt
10-28-03, 08:21 PM
I have 7 in my house the oldest one that still works is the first one I bought back in '98.

Josh-da-man
10-28-03, 08:34 PM
The Best Buy guy was just trying to get you to buy their service plan. They will say absolutely ANYTHING to get you to buy that shit.

I bought my computer there about four years ago. The sales drone flat out told me that the Compaq I was buying was a piece of crap and would break down within months. Yet, here I sit, typing this post on it. Sure, my mouse died, and my "spill proof" keyboard fritzed after I spilled a Diet Coke on it, but I replaced both for about ten bucks each.

And I'm still using the Toshiba 2008 DVD player I bought in December of 1998 -- going on five years, with very few problems. I have a Buffy Season One DVD that acts a little wonky from time to time. At first I thought it was DVD Rot (or Delamination for you sensitive types), but the disc only seems to fritz when I've had my player on for an extended period of time before playing it.

leemik
10-28-03, 08:41 PM
Players with no problems:

--Pioneer DV09 bought in '98.. 5 years and still going strong.
--Panasonic XP30 - bought his year. works fine
--Bravo D1 - bought this year works fine. not one lockup.
--Apex AD600A. ~4 years old... sold to friend and still works fine today.

Players with some problems:

--Sony s7000 bought in '97.. sold to friend but recently needed laser alignment service.....so it lasted 6+ years.

--Panasonic A110 - after about 2 years, had lots of trouble reading discs and kept getting worse.. eventually I threw it away.

--Panasonic Portable (very old one)... rechargable battery is dead but the player still works fine... ~4 years old

--mike

mookiemeister
10-28-03, 09:35 PM

I also have a Toshiba SD2109 from 99 that is still working fine. Recently, I got a 5 DVD changer, so I gave my Toshiba DVD player to my parents who still don't have a DVD player yet.

Jepthah
10-28-03, 09:46 PM
Pioneer DV-525 now nearly 4 years old, and going strong. Had one firmware update, though. :)

danwiz
10-28-03, 09:48 PM
Jeez, 007bugs! Maybe you should get a brand name which is a GOOD brand name. As I was once told in this forum "you get what you pay for".

Myself - on my second Sony player since 1998. I just gave the first one to a friend because I wanted a new progressive scan model, there was absolutely nothing wrong with the first one, and the friend is still using it and happy too!!

gotwavego
10-28-03, 11:33 PM
Bought my first player (all region) in HK in 1998, still works but doesn't get much use since I bought a new Denon (all-region) about 2 years ago. I also have a panasonic portable that I gave to my parents when I stopped traveling so often on business that works fine.

DVD players, just as with all electronics, they will either break soon after purchase (i.e. within the manufacturers warranty) or they will last a looong time.

-g

snorlaxnut
10-29-03, 02:30 PM
I have had my Go Video DVP-853 player for a year next Saturday. The only problem I had is when I pressed the button to close the tray, the tray would not go all the way in. I just had to press the button to get the tray to come out, then press the button again and the tray would go back in the way it should. This happened only three times this year, about six months between the second and third times. The player works fine.

danganet
10-29-03, 02:56 PM

Ditto!

Gcomeau
10-29-03, 03:14 PM
Mine is a Toshiba as well. The SD-1600 to be exact. No major problems. There's been a few times where i'll stop a movie then when i press play i don't get a picture. But all i have to do is shut the player off and turn it on again, this hasn't happened in a few months...thank god. My player is almost at the 3 year mark and i can't complain.

Josh H
10-29-03, 03:25 PM
The 2109 is the Toshiba I had and mentioned earlier, I couldn't remember the model number as I gave it to a friend who still uses it all the time.

Only problem I ever had is it froze on the layer change on Spiderman. I was lucky, had the old firm ware, but no problems with the Matrix or any other discs.

Kerborus
10-29-03, 04:44 PM
I have owned 4 DVD players. The first two were rather expensive, $400-500. 3 of them died.

I have never had a DVD player last over a year and a half.

My DVD players were in well ventilated areas, were kept clean, did not move, and were nice models. I have always thought DVD technology was kind of sketchy...