Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Martin Fans Rejoice! More Hedge Knight in Legends II

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-03, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Martin Fans Rejoice! More Hedge Knight in Legends II

Link to Amazon.com page.

Legends II: New Short Novels by the Masters of Modern Fantasy

Fantasy fans, rejoice! Seven years after writer and editor Robert Silverberg made publishing history with Legends, his acclaimed anthology of original short novels by some of the greatest writers in fantasy fiction, the long-awaited second volume is here. Legends II picks up where its illustrious predecessor left off. All of the bestselling writers represented in Legends II return to the special universe of the imagination that its author has made famous throughout the world. Whether set before or after events already recounted elsewhere, whether featuring beloved characters or compelling new creations, these masterful short novels are both mesmerizing stand-alones–perfect introductions to the work of their authors–and indispensable additions to the epics on which they are based. Beyond any doubt, Legends II is the fantasy event of the season.

ROBIN HOBB returns to the Realm of the Elderlings with “Homecoming,” a powerful tale in which exiles sent to colonize the Cursed Shores find themselves sinking into an intoxicating but deadly dream . . . or is it a memory?

GEORGE R. R. MARTIN continues the adventures of Dunk, a young hedge knight, and his unusual squire, Egg, in “The Sworn Sword,” set a generation before the events in A Song of Ice and Fire.

ORSON SCOTT CARD tells a tale of Alvin Maker and the mighty Mississippi, featuring a couple of ne’er-do-wells named Jim Bowie and Abe Lincoln, in “The Yazoo Queen.”

DIANE GABALDON turns to an important character from her Outlander saga–Lord John Grey–in “Lord John and the Succubus,” a supernatural thriller set in the early days of the Seven Years War.

ROBERT SILVERBERG spins an enthralling tale of Majipoor’s early history–and remote future–as seen through the eyes of a dilettantish poet who discovers an unexpected destiny in “The Book of Changes.”

TAD WILLIAMS explores the strange afterlife of Orlando Gardiner, from his Otherland saga, in “The Happiest Dead Boy in the World.”
ANNE McCAFFREY shines a light into the most mysterious and wondrous of all places on Pern in the heartwarming “Beyond Between.”

RAYMOND E. FEIST turns from the great battles of the Riftwar to the story of one soldier, a young man about to embark on the ride of his life, in “The Messenger.”

ELIZABETH HAYDON tells of the destruction of Serendair and the fate of its last defenders in “Threshold,” set at the end of the Third Age of her Symphony of Ages series.

NEIL GAIMAN gives us a glimpse into what befalls the man called Shadow after the events of his Hugo Award—winning novel American Gods in “The Monarch of the Glen.”

TERRY BROOKS adds an exciting epilogue to The Wishsong of Shannara in “Indomitable,” the tale of Jair Ohmsford’s desperate quest to complete the destruction of the evil Ildatch . . . armed only with the magic of illusion.

I can't wait for his 4th book, but I'll settle for more Dunk and Egg in the meanwhile. How cool is this? And Neal Gaiman contributing? Drool....
Old 10-27-03, 12:10 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Re: Martin Fans Rejoice! More Hedge Knight in Legends II

Originally posted by SiberianLlama
I can't wait for his 4th book, but I'll settle for more Dunk and Egg in the meanwhile. How cool is this? And Neal Gaiman contributing? Drool....
If you really can't wait, head to amazon.uk -- Legends II was released there earlier this month. I'm waiting for the U.S. edition personally, but I still like to complain that they get it first. Lousy stinking Brits!

Legends I is what turned me on to Martin (as well as Tad Williams and Orson Scott Card), so I'm looking forward to discovering some new authors with Legends II.
Old 11-05-03, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would just be happy if A Feast For Crows would come out. I know they are long, complex books, but I think I might be retirement age before this series is finished.