Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Question about book signings

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-03, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about book signings

Do you actually have to buy the book to go get the persons autograph? Because Stone Cold and JR are coming to Ft. Hood in November, and Lita is coming the day after. I saw Lita's book, but I dont wanna buy it. Can I just go get their autographs?
Old 10-26-03, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ann rice signed my book
had to buy the book to get in to see stephen king, your best bet is to call the bookstore and check
Old 10-26-03, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

maybe since its at the PX on post it'll be different? thanks.
Old 10-27-03, 03:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts
It quite literally depends.

Some authors will sign anything, but a lot of times in order to actually arrange the book signing, the rules say you have to buy their book from the store holding the signing. This is probably a likely event if the author is doing a signing tour.

If the author is doing a signing in his favorite bookstore of his hometown, then the rules would likely be different.
Old 10-27-03, 07:40 AM
Banned

If it's at Border's, I'll say it's 99% guaranteed that you have to buy the book there.
Old 10-27-03, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
When I went to get my book signed by Al Franken you did not have to buy the book. If you brought your book in they simply put a small sticker on the cover that showed you had brought it.

This was at Barnes and Noble.
Old 10-27-03, 08:51 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
I too have brought in a book that I bought elsewhere and the bookstore did not care. They just seem to be happy to see a big turn-out.
Old 10-27-03, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The whole point of a book tour is to promote the book. It's simply common courtesy to buy the book, and to buy it where the show is being held.

That being said, you can always get the book signed and your photo or whatever, then take the book back (if you keep your receipt).
Old 10-27-03, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been to 3 major ones, and never had to buy the book. I don't know about bringing in an old napkin and getting a sig, but in all cases you could bring in already owned books and merchandise to have them sign.

What bishop2knight said though, it's definitely a courtesy. If they're going to sign all your junk, the least you can do is buy their book.
Old 10-29-03, 08:43 AM

As was said before it depends on the author and location. Sometimes they will sign the book and nothing and else and you have to buy it or bring a copy of the newest book. Sometimes you don't have to buy anything just be there. I went to one a few weeks ago Berke Breathed for Bloom County fame was signing his new kids book Flamed Dogs. Plenty of people just showed up with Bloom County stuff and he was glad to sign it. I did a mix I bought the new book and brought some other books for him to sign. The most annoying book signing I went to was one for Mick Foley. It just kind of sucked that he just scribbled his name in the book really quickly and moved right on no personalization not even really a hello. Berke Breathed was really cool and posed for a pic and talked a bit to my kids who are big fans of his and Bruce Campbell was very nice as well personalizing books and taking pictures. I'm going to an Anne Rice signing this weekend and they say in advance you must by the new book and that's all she will sign. This is at a Borders so no suprise. A pretty good place to pickup signed books if you are looking is http://www.olssons.com/ they do tons of signings here in the DC area and they have a nice selection of signed books with no real jackup in prices.
Old 10-29-03, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

well like I said its on post here at ft hood. i still have time to call and ask the manager about it. I just really want them to take a picture with my crayon.
Old 10-30-03, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts
I went to a speech that the "Hurricane" gave at school. He was promoting one book and would only sign that one. You didn't have to buy it there (since it is the Special Events Center @ USF, they did have books to buy though). He didn't do any personalizations though citing that he wasn't the author.

I understand only signing one book and supporting the author but if you have the book already I really don't think you should necessarily have to buy it from that particular bookstore. Just my opinion.
Old 10-30-03, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts
BTW, what is a good way to learn about booksignings?
Old 10-30-03, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: New Jersey, where the state motto should be Leave No Tree Standing
Only signing I went to was for Nicole Blackman's book of poetry, Blood Sugar. Her book had recently been reissued by a new publisher after her original publisher went out of business. I had the original out of print edition already and brought that with me to the BN for her to sign. The bookstore staff didn't mind at all. She read some poems, signed and personalized books and talked with the people who were there to see her.

Based on these posts it looks like BN is more likely to let you bring in a book you already own while Borders forces you to buy the book there.
Old 10-30-03, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: New Jersey, where the state motto should be Leave No Tree Standing
Originally posted by tanman
Several ways. The chainstores, at least BN and Borders, have a calendar posted near the store entrance listing that month's events. I'm sure your larger independent stores would do the same. Also, check your favorite authors' websites, they usually have book tour info.
Old 11-17-03, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So I called and asked about having to buy their books.

YES. Damn it.

Now who's do I buy and who do I wanna see more? And who's more willing to sign using Tumbleweed?
Old 11-17-03, 12:13 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally posted by tanman
Weekend newspapers also have a list of booksignings.