Guns n' roses dvd's coming Oct 28th!!!

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-03, 07:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

According to this thread from the HTF fourm, the Guns n' Roses releases for Welcome to the Videos, and Use Your Illusions I & II are coming Oct 28th.

Quote:

Wednesday October 15, 10:00 am ET
LOS ANGELES, Oct. 15 /PRNewswire/ -- Guns N' Roses are finally, officially, on DVD with the first-time releases on the format of WELCOME TO THE VIDEOS and the concert performances USE YOUR ILLUSION I: WORLD TOUR - 1992 IN TOKYO and USE YOUR ILLUSION II: WORLD TOUR - 1992 IN TOKYO (Geffen/UMe), released October 28, 2003. WELCOME TO THE VIDEOS, originally released on VHS in 1998, features all 13 GN'R videos seen on MTV, some of the most popular and acclaimed videos ever aired, from the burst-of-energy "Welcome To The Jungle" to the inspired "November Rain" to the epic "Estranged." The music videos to six Top 10 hits, four of them gold, are included in the 70-minute compilation. Whether filled with concert and behind-the-scenes footage, performances-for-video or powerfully evocative narratives, Guns N' Roses music videos have been among the most emotionally provocative in rock.

A winner of the prestigious Video Vanguard Award from the MTV Video Music Awards, the band's video history began with a 1988 MTV Award as Best New Artist for "Welcome To The Jungle" (#7). The following year, "Sweet Child O' Mine" (gold and the group's only #1) won for Best Metal/Hard Rock Video. Both videos, as well as the next two, "Paradise City" (1988, #5) and "Patience" (1989, #4 and gold), were directed by music video pioneer Nigel Dick.

In 1991, GN'R expanded their repertoire with more grandiose videos directed by many-time MTV Award-winner Andy Morahan. For "Don't Cry" (#10, gold), the narrative was mixed with a rooftop performance (including the late Shannon Hoon of Blind Melon). After the band's cover of Paul and Linda McCartney's "Live And Let Die" (1991, Top 40), Morahan helmed "November Rain" (#3, gold). At the 1992 VMAs, the video won three awards, for Best Cinematography, Best Special Effects, and Best Editing -- and, most significantly, GN'R won the Video Vanguard Award.

Morahan then directed 1992's "Yesterdays" and "Garden Of Eden" and 1993's "Estranged." A massive undertaking, "Estranged" was shot all over the world, from a live performance in Munich, Germany, to a supertanker off Texas to a swim-with-the-dolphins experience in the Bahamas to the Sunset Strip.

In 1992, Guns N' Roses debuted on home video with USE YOUR ILLUSION WORLD TOUR - 1992 IN TOKYO presented in two separate packages, I and II. Each is a collection of live performances of their best-known songs. Unique to these videos are performances of Bob Dylan's "Knockin' On Heaven's Door," the theme from THE GODFATHER and one hell of a Drum and Guitar Solo. Each USE YOUR ILLUSION video was certified gold.

Now the original band is seen and heard once again on DVD geared to long time fans as well as the new ones discovering one of the most influential rock bands of all time -- Guns N' Roses.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Source: Geffen/UMe

[/Quote]

G N' R is my all time favorite band. I have been waiting for the
Welcome to the Videos to be released on dvd. My only complaint is that, from the looks of this article, the video for You Could Be Mine won't be on it. It say's all 13 of their videos will be on it but, there are 13 on the VHS version and YCBM is not on there. The 13 on the VHS are:

Welcome to the Jungle
Sweet Child O' Mine
Paradise City
Patience
Don't Cry (original)
Live and Let Die
Yesterdays
November Rain
Garden of Eden
The Garden
Dead Horse
Estranged
Since I Don't Have You

I guess they didn't want to pay for the T2 footage. Cheap Bastards!!!

I wonder with the multitude of T2 dvd's out there does anyone know if the YCBM video is on any of them?

Nevertheless this is good news. Now i'll see if my sister will give me $5 for my vhs copy.
Old 10-24-03, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, maybe it's not the T2 footage(it's still promotion, the original purpose of the video), maybe it's Arnold who wouldn't give clearance/wanted big bucks.

In either case, I love Estranaged so much, I'd buy the videos just for that. I dont' think I ever saw the video for The Garden, that's a sweet tune too.

Another missing video is "Knockin on Heavens Door", probably the only thing I saw of theirs to really catch their L.A. club vibe(not that I was there but as i percieved it). That was a Dial MTV staple.
Old 10-24-03, 07:58 AM
Premium Member

Received 694 Likes on 464 Posts
more info:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=241851
Old 10-24-03, 08:02 AM

They never did an official video for Knockin' on Heaven's Door, AFAIK. The one they showed on MTV was concert footage from their Live at the Ritz show.

It looks like if GNR would give permission for their song to be on the T2 dvd, that Geffen would have made it part of the deal that the T2 footage for YCBM could be used on the GNR release. Whey couldn't they just swap rights so they could use each other's material? I'll never understand the entertainment industry.
Old 10-24-03, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
I am so ready for this set
Old 10-24-03, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I can't remember: does Izzy play on these?
Old 10-24-03, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought I already saw a Use Your Illusion DVD at Best Buy. It had an IMPORT sticker on it though.
Old 10-24-03, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

DAMN IT!!

i still haven't get the Duran Duran DVD yet, & now THIS?!?

Old 10-24-03, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I saw imported (from Japan) Use your Illusions DVDs at borders a couple months ago... reminded me of what started happening with CDs.
Old 10-24-03, 01:01 PM

Originally posted by nodeerforamonth
I can't remember: does Izzy play on these?
Are you refering to Use Your Illusions or Welcome to the Videos?

On WTTV he was in Welcome the jungle, Sweet child o' mine, Paradise City, and Patience. Also he was in some photos on Yesterdays and Live and let die. I think those were the only ones he was in (other than YCBM which is not on this set).

As far as the Illusions, I am not sure. Haven't watched these tapes in forever. He may have been in some of them because I think they used footage from several diffenent concerts.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-24-03, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Upper pylon 3
Are you refering to Use Your Illusions or Welcome to the Videos?

As far as the Illusions, I am not sure. Haven't watched these tapes in forever. He may have been in some of them because I think they used footage from several diffenent concerts.

Hope this helps.
Illusions.

I think the Use Your Illusions was filmed in Japan in '92. Just one gig, split into two shows. I don't know for sure. And I can't remember if Izzy was with the band then. I don't think so though.
Old 10-24-03, 02:01 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Izzy was still with the group early in the Use Your Illusion tour, because he was playing with them when I saw them (he was my favorite member, of my favorite band. Hey, I was 14, what did I know?) I'm not certain if he was still in the band when they went to Tokyo though. I saw these on laserdisc before, and for some reason I wanna say that Gilby Clarke was in the group by then.
Old 10-24-03, 02:22 PM

Izzy left the band in 91. He did sometimes join the band for concerts after that though.
Old 10-24-03, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

does anyone have the track listings for the Illusions VHS/DVDs?
Old 10-24-03, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts
Originally posted by The Cow
more info:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=241851
track listings...
Old 10-24-03, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Izzy officially left GN'R in late 1991, around Thanksgiving.

The Tokyo shows were shot in either late January or late February 1992, with new guitarist Gilby Clarke.
Old 10-24-03, 09:53 PM
Cool New Member

Hey I can't seem to find these up for pre-order anywhere but Best Buy.com, anybody got any insight into why that is? will they actually come out being they seem to be under the radar of most retailers?
Old 10-24-03, 10:42 PM
Premium Member

Received 694 Likes on 464 Posts
Originally posted by xangelx
Hey I can't seem to find these up for pre-order anywhere but Best Buy.com, anybody got any insight into why that is? will they actually come out being they seem to be under the radar of most retailers?
Amazon has them.
Old 10-25-03, 11:17 PM
Banned

The Ultimate T2 DVD does NOT have You Could Be Mine. Not sure about the Extreme T2 DVD. The video IS on the Laserdisc Boxed Set though.
Old 10-25-03, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
It's not on the T2 EE either.
Old 10-26-03, 06:51 AM

Didn't Gn' R have a video for Civil War? When I was in Germany in '93 I could've swore I saw it on MTV Europe and I was really surprised as I had never seen it stateside. If I remember right it was nearly all compiled concert footage.

Can anyone confirm this?
Old 10-27-03, 11:21 AM

Who?
Old 10-28-03, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Virex
Izzy officially left GN'R in late 1991, around Thanksgiving.

The Tokyo shows were shot in either late January or late February 1992, with new guitarist Gilby Clarke.
i remember, at the end of the 2nd video of the UYI concert, when the credits are running, i think they're interviewing Gilby where he talks about how the crowd sometimes mistake him for Izzy & yell out Izzy's name to him...
Old 10-28-03, 09:15 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by InnocentBlood
i remember, at the end of the 2nd video of the UYI concert, when the credits are running, i think they're interviewing Gilby where he talks about how the crowd sometimes mistake him for Izzy & yell out Izzy's name to him...
He was practically an Izzy lookalike. I always assumed that's why they hired him.
Old 10-28-03, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Man why can we get this dreck on dvd but no Nirvana Unplugged ar Live!Tonight!Soldout! ?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.