Community
Search

Does the buying feel out of control?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-03, 02:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does the buying feel out of control?

Seriously.

I make a decent living, and I still find myself eyeing my bank balance nervously while buying/preparing to buy the masses of good DVDs that are releasing.

In the past month or two:

Simpsons 3
Family Guy 2
Strangers With Candy
Indiana Jones
Futurama 2
Christmas Vacation
Run Ronnie Run
Ren & Stimpy 3-disc
(perhaps gratuitous) Columbia House run

Coming Soon:

Two Towers uber edition
Looney Tunes
Strangers With Candy- Season 2
Upright Citizens Brigade- Season 1
Tenacious D- The Complete Masterworks
David Cross- "Let America Laugh"
Triumph the Insult Comic Dog- Come Poop With Me (CD/DVD)

These are all required viewing for me, I literally have no choice! In other words, my habit controls my actions.

It's a scary feeling
Old 10-23-03, 02:34 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not here, I've bought less than 1 a month over the past year.
Old 10-23-03, 02:40 PM

Your problem is all those TV Box sets. You should consider Netflix - that way you can rent them anytime you want.

Saves me shelf space and money. Also, I don't watch regular TV anymore, so I don't get addicted to new TV shows which I would then have to buy. Its WIN-WIN!!

p.s. - I know to each his own, but "Strangers with Candy"?? The leading lady in that show always gave me the heebie-jeebies.
Old 10-23-03, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 160 Likes on 122 Posts
Yes, My Credit Card balance from month to months stays around the $400 mark I'm not gonna buy any more DVDs until the first of the year at least. It's gonna be hard but I can do it, I keep telling myself that anyway
Old 10-23-03, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Yes, my buying is way out of control. It's nice always (well, almost always) having what I want at my fingertips at any given time.
Old 10-23-03, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I used to buy a lot I didn't need. (cough, Olsen Twins movies, cough).. but I think I've calmed down a lot. I think twice before buying something now (and have called myself out of a lot of unneeded DVDs).
Old 10-23-03, 02:59 PM

Last month I bought school dance parties, favorite parties, vacation parties and greates parties. The sad part is that I'm 28 years old and I don't even have any kids! I also have Holdiay In The Sun, 2 DVDs of So Little Time, Getting There, When In Rome and soon The Challenge.
Old 10-23-03, 03:10 PM

this thread took a turn for the weird

as i've stated before, DVDs *are* what i watch on TV now. no more cable, unless i'm at a friend's place. so having the library is sweet.

i just haven't seen so many worthwhile releases in ages, and i'm not even mentioning the required blockbuster buys that are coming (Reloaded, T3, Nemo, etc).

and i haven't even purchased Man's Best Friend yet!!

IMO i'm in the midst of my DVD salad days right now.
Old 10-23-03, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think it sometimes depends on where you are in your collecting. I'm approaching 200 right now and feel like I am getting to the point where I will have filled out my collection with all of the available "must haves". Because of this, once this year is over, I think I will have "caught up", so to speak and that my buying will slow down to a few new releases every now and then and the previously unavailable "must haves" as they get released.

But up until now, I think my buying rate has been a little on the high side (especially recently . . . probably 20-30 in the last month) as I've tried to fill out the collection.
Old 10-23-03, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I used to buy movies just to buy sometimes even if I would only watch them 1 or 2 times... after getting my own place and having to pay so many bills, i was able to convince myself to only BUY what I woudl watch 10 times or more.
Old 10-23-03, 03:38 PM
Retired

Originally posted by talemyn
I think it sometimes depends on where you are in your collecting. I'm approaching 200 right now and feel like I am getting to the point where I will have filled out my collection with all of the available "must haves".
I think you hit the nail on the head. The number will vary from person to person according to how much they're into movies.

I'm just over 100 and there's not many available that are must buys for me that I don't already have. I'm not into classic movies, or indy films, and I haven't been going to the movies/renting movies as much the past couple of years, so it's natural that my buying has tailed off greatly.

Of course, the end of the reel.com, 800.com etc. deals of years past had a lot to do with it as well.
Old 10-23-03, 03:41 PM
Emeritus Reviewer

Yes. Next week alone, with the Looney Tunes, Sopranos, and 3 Criterions as a starter, I feel very overwhelmed.
Old 10-23-03, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have around 200 to 250 but like others I have collected pretty much all of the catalog titles I want. I have also been purchasing since Sept. 97 so I don't feel my the size of my collection is outrageous. I see posts on here about what people are buying each Tuesday and it blows my mind how people can buy so many/have time to watch them, etc. To each his own though.
Old 10-23-03, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by masetodd
I know to each his own, but "Strangers with Candy"?? The leading lady in that show always gave me the heebie-jeebies.
That show is HILARIOUS. BTW have you ever SEEN Amy Sedaris out of makeup? She is really a beautiful woman. (According to stories written by her famous brother David Sedaris, Amy LOVES to play around with her looks - i.e. see "A Shiner Like a Diamond" from Me Talk Pretty One Day)
Old 10-23-03, 05:11 PM
SeeNo Member

yep, my buying is WAY out of control!!!
Old 10-23-03, 05:19 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Does the buying feel out of control?

Originally posted by Duodenum
These are all required viewing for me, I literally have no choice!
Literally, you do.
Old 10-23-03, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Out of control, not quite, but getting there! Having the addicting personality that I do, it's far better and safer than drinking, drugs, or gambling. When I first started collecting I would only get the films I really really wanted, but now I'm finding I'm getting all sorts of movies, mainly to get more genres I may be lacking in. I've already bought 4 expensive DVDs in the past 2 days, and the week is only halfway over.
Old 10-23-03, 05:20 PM

My buying has been somewhat stable but with the internet I am buying more online. It's too easy to order a movie in the comfort of your home, forget about it and the next couple days it's there. I think i'm liking that a little too much. I recently bought Indy, carlitos way, french connection, halloween, criterion fear and loathing. Thats in a week. Next week I'll be picking up the looney tunes golden collection for sure.
Old 10-23-03, 06:04 PM

Netflix has helped me control my buying. I can still see all the movies I want without the expense of owning every single one. And as a previous poster mentioned it is a great way to catch the tv shows. I am currently watching Stargate SG-1 and Farscape in order. My first two years in to DVD I was almost out of control. It didnt help being in love with DVD Talk and Home Theatre Forum, hearing about all the great DVD sets out there.
Old 10-23-03, 06:11 PM

Originally posted by pawdog
Netflix has helped me control my buying. I can still see all the movies I want without the expense of owning every single one. And as a previous poster mentioned it is a great way to catch the tv shows. I am currently watching Stargate SG-1 and Farscape in order. My first two years in to DVD I was almost out of control. It didnt help being in love with DVD Talk and Home Theatre Forum, hearing about all the great DVD sets out there.

Same here, I realized I was spending a bit too much on DVDs so now Netflix is helping me big time. I was worried that I "had" to get Hercules Season 2 and the Xena releases, not to mention Dick Van Dyke, the rest of Farscape, etc etc. bot now I can just rent them
Old 10-23-03, 06:22 PM
Banned

Looks like you could save a lot of money by getting better taste
Old 10-23-03, 06:25 PM

I just limit myself to $15.99 a week. If I need to buy a box set (e.g. simpsons season) I just won't buy anything for a couple weeks.
Old 10-23-03, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I feel a little guilty about all the money spending. My New Year's resolution was to cut back a bit on my DVD spending, and I think I've held to it pretty well (though it certainly gets tempting to overspend every once in a while!)
Old 10-23-03, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Nope.

For me it's all about the quality of the movie and the DVD. If it ain't anamorphic or is bare bones I don't even consider it; unless it is a small title/low money maker that won't get released again any time soon.

A good way for me to get rid of movies is when someone wants to watch a movie I own but I have no desire to. I think I have weeded out most of those.

I learned from my previous hobby that it ain't about quantity but quality.
Old 10-23-03, 07:17 PM

I have boxsets of Angel to get in the future and X files.
Some Buffy as well.

Angel season one, two got, need three, four, and five in the future

X files season one, two, three got, need four, five, six, seven in the future, eight as well, nine maybe if cheap

I got Buffy season one cheap, I'm a huge fan of the first three seasons, it had everything, angel, faith, spike, dru, so season two and three is a must. I have not seen all of season seven, and might collect that. Be cool to collect that episode Hush from season 4, but the willow lesbian thing, and how the characters change made it depressing through season six, left a bad taste in my mouth. Buffy ended at graduation time for me, end of season three, rest of the seasons were good, but consistency isn't there to watch those episodes more then the first three seasons. Angel on the otherhand has impressive consistency, sort of X files like, it has a x files producer working on it as well

So for once, I'm not the total completist for the sake of it.

Once I get these boxsets out of the way, hopefully just stick to films.

But, there maybe more tv shows I will like and get in the future.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.