Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Receiver Problems/Choices - Need opinions fast!

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-03, 09:43 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in a bit of a receiver jam right now. Here's the short version.

1. New kid on the way (first) in a few weeks.

2. POS 3 yr old Sony STR-DE8## keeps "clicking" off and I have to apply pressure to the upper right front corner to get it back on. Seems like an internal switch went bad.

3. So I need a new receiver right away and I can only shop at Best Buy right now. I am NOT repairing the Sony.

4. Which receiver do I buy from them? I'm looking at under $400 because I don't need anything fancy this time. Just the basics. Before the kid I had visions of grandeur for my next receiver, but things change.

I don't have a lot of time to do my usual regimen of research (I didnt' research the Sony and now I'm paying for it) but I think I've narrowed it down to the Yamaha HTR-5650, HTR-5640, Pioneer VSX-D812, or the Kenwood VR-7070.

I have some experience with Yamaha (father-in-law has one) and it sounds great. Much clearer than my Sony. I've never heard the Pioneer or Kenwood and wanted to know if they are any better? It's hard to listen to them in the store as you all know.

Any help is appreciated.

FYI: I posted the same text in the "Any opinions on the Sony..." thread. Please ignore the duplication.
Old 10-23-03, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah just get a Yamaha receiver. IMO they are the best receivers that Best Buy carries by far.
Old 10-23-03, 03:52 PM

The Panasonic SA-XR25S is a good choice:

XR25 at Best Buy for $299

It's missing a few options from the higher end XR45, but they're very similar. Read about them in the August Update on Newform:

Click on the August 2003 update

They compare the sound to some pretty high end products (Spectron, Classe, Bryston).
Old 10-23-03, 06:04 PM

I would second Joshic suggestion. Yamaha is the best they carry. You might want to look for a open box. You could get a decent deal that way. To bad it has to be from Best Buy. There are good deals on the net for others that are much better.

Good luck and you might want to calculate in the service plan on a open box also
Old 10-24-03, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
if you have to buy from best buy, definately go with the yamaha
Old 10-24-03, 08:27 AM
Cool New Member

Thanks to everyone!

I bought the Yamaha HTR-5640 last night. One of the salesmen at my local BB is an HT enthusiast and we're pretty lucky to have him around. He sold me my HDTV and really knows his stuff in my opinion. They also gave me 24 months with no interest which was an added bonus.

I told him about my dilemma and he recommended an Onkyo for my price point which they don't even sell at BB! But since I had to shop there he recommended the Yamaha line. He stated that the Yamaha's were pretty much equal to the Onkyo's in sound and features but that the latter may be built a little better (and cost a little/lot more).

I also told him about my POS Sony that just died and he knew exactly which one I had. Apparently I'm not the only one to experience a dead Sony after three years. He even went so far as to tell me not to buy another one. He wouldn't even recommend any of the other brands they have there. Yamaha was it.

Anyway, I will hook it up tonight and report any differences between it and the old Sony if anyone cares. I didn't go for the HTR-5650 because I felt I didn't need the extra bells and whistles right now. The differences were 5W of power (75w/ch vs 80W/ch), number of digital inputs/outputs (2/0 vs 4/1), and the 5640's lack of video transcoding (takes an RCA video signal and outputs it as S-Video as I understand it). The only thing that I miss is one extra optical input for my Comcast HD cable box. However, until Comcast gets on the ball (probably not for a couple of years) I don't think it's worth it. They currently are not sending a 5.1 signal through the line. I've been using the optical connection for it and it really isn't good.

gotapex,
I read the NewForm review on the Panny XR45 from the link to it on your site's deals page. I then tried to find everything I could on the XR25 and decided against it after what I read. It seems like a pretty good deal but I just wasn't ready to take that next step up to full digital just yet. I'd rather wait until the product is proven.