Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

West Wing 10/22

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-03, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
West Wing 10/22

Wow, is there really no thread for this? I guess Sorkin took all the humor AND viewers with him.

I thought it was an OK episode, but there seems to be a feeling of gloom over the whole show this season. Everyone seems more sour, more Toby-esque. The wrong speech getting on the teleprompter was so predictable, especially since they mentioned being in a hurry to get it on the teleprompter TWICE in about 5 minutes. Gary Cole's response to Will/Toby was funny, but totally unrealistic.

I'd sum up my feelings this way - after watching the WW rerun on Bravo at 10pm, I couldn't remember what the new episode had been about. Pretty sad statement
Old 10-23-03, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I didn't catch it cuz I was watching I love the 80s Strikes Back, then I proceeded to watch the Bravo ep at 11pm. One of my favorites -- Bad Moon Rising. Tonight's should be good as well, heck the rest of the week's will be.
Old 10-23-03, 10:47 AM

I enjoyed it, but I definitely agree about the feeling of gloom over the whole show. Everything is dark lighting wise too. I wish NBC would beg Aaron Sorkin to come back.

Anyone know what
Spoiler:
the disaster that happens is
as shown in the preview for upcoming weeks?

Brian
Old 10-23-03, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
I didn't think the ep was too bad. Yes the teleprompter mishap was completely predictable but the stuff Will and Toby wrote was pretty damn funny. The conversation between the senator and Josh was pretty good especially since it summed up everything the staff and the viewers had been thinking all along.

Maybe sooner or later we'll find out what the intern did to get the senator to change his vote. If we don't, that's ok though.

The music was wonderful and it reminded me of when Yo-Yo Ma played in a 2nd season ep. The expression on the kids face when Bartlet said he couldn't defect was pretty heartbreaking.

Random question though maybe this was just strange camera work but when Donna was fixing Josh's tie, did anybody else get the feeling he was about to kiss her? The end of that scene was just strange for some reason.
Old 10-23-03, 01:30 PM

Originally posted by lisadoris
Random question though maybe this was just strange camera work but when Donna was fixing Josh's tie, did anybody else get the feeling he was about to kiss her? The end of that scene was just strange for some reason.
It wasn't just you, I think there's going to be a payoff to that. Notice he went straight to whatshername and wanted to talk about their relationship after that.
Old 10-23-03, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 231 Likes on 136 Posts
You know what they forgot this season?

They forgot to bring the funny.

How many episodes in and I don't think I've heard one good line the whole season....
Old 10-23-03, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cheese?
Old 10-26-03, 04:16 PM

Location: Lounging on the beach in L.A., frappucino in hand...
Originally posted by Meatpants
It wasn't just you, I think there's going to be a payoff to that. Notice he went straight to whatshername and wanted to talk about their relationship after that.
Does anyone remember, some previous season (sorry, don't remember when exactly), when Donna came back (I guess she'd left her job, and was coming back to it)? Josh gave her flowers and kind of needled her the whole ep about how things didn't work out with some guy she'd been seeing. I don't remember why exactly she brought this up, but she finally told Josh that part of the reason she'd broken up with this guy wasn't because of him (Josh) or to come back to the job, but instead was because she'd been in some accident or something (which I guess Josh didn't know about), and she'd called her boyfriend, and instead of rushing to her side, he had stopped on the way to meet friends for a few beers as he'd been planning on doing.

When she said this, Josh got this priceless look on his face, and he asked a few rapid-fire questions, and Donna kept stopping him, didn't want to talk about it. He finally said something like"I'm just saying, if it'd been me, and you'd been in an accident, I wouldn't have stopped for a few beers!" Donna shot him this sideways look, got up, and as she walked past him said something like "If it'd been me, and you'd been in an accident, I wouldn't have stopped for red lights!" I had it on tape, watched it a few times, and it was a great scene between them, lots of "will they or won't they" tension, and I've been WONDERING ever since, when are they getting together??? Maybe it's coming soon?
Old 10-26-03, 04:16 PM

Location: Lounging on the beach in L.A., frappucino in hand...
Originally posted by Roto
Cheese?
As in, would we like some with our "whine"?
Old 10-26-03, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by shoppingbear
Does anyone remember, some previous season (sorry, don't remember when exactly), when Donna came back (I guess she'd left her job, and was coming back to it)? Josh gave her flowers and kind of needled her the whole ep about how things didn't work out with some guy she'd been seeing. I don't remember why exactly she brought this up, but she finally told Josh that part of the reason she'd broken up with this guy wasn't because of him (Josh) or to come back to the job, but instead was because she'd been in some accident or something (which I guess Josh didn't know about), and she'd called her boyfriend, and instead of rushing to her side, he had stopped on the way to meet friends for a few beers as he'd been planning on doing.

When she said this, Josh got this priceless look on his face, and he asked a few rapid-fire questions, and Donna kept stopping him, didn't want to talk about it. He finally said something like"I'm just saying, if it'd been me, and you'd been in an accident, I wouldn't have stopped for a few beers!" Donna shot him this sideways look, got up, and as she walked past him said something like "If it'd been me, and you'd been in an accident, I wouldn't have stopped for red lights!" I had it on tape, watched it a few times, and it was a great scene between them, lots of "will they or won't they" tension, and I've been WONDERING ever since, when are they getting together??? Maybe it's coming soon?
That was "17 People" when they told Toby about the MS. And the line was actually "If you were in an accident, I wouldn't stop for red lights"
Old 10-26-03, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i haven't seen last week's show yet, (on tape, gonna watch soon), but they have been hinting at a josh/donna thing for a long time. i think that they might have done something with it before now but sorkin always said that he would never actually get them together, just hint at it. that being said, he is no longer on the show so who knows what may happen? i am one, who would like to see them together (i think). if handled properly, i think it could be good, but i don't want to have them screw up the good thing they have by crappy writing.
Old 10-27-03, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by bdshort

Anyone know what
Spoiler:
the disaster that happens is
as shown in the preview for upcoming weeks?

Brian
Spoiler:
A tornado hits Oklahoma, or something to that effect.
Old 10-28-03, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

so i just watched this before 24 started and i think it can be summed up by toby ziegler...."we are drifting".

while this was still a good episode, there just seems to be something missing. maybe it's the humor, maybe it's just the fact that we are all predjudiced because we know sorkin is gone and we know to expect less. i don't know. however, there were some good things...

josh and donna. as always, the interaction between these two is great. when donna's family was there and josh was talking, there was a pause where donna gave josh am extended look. a combonation, i am going to kill you later and something else that i can't quite put my finger on. then later when josh is tying his tie and the looks that they give each other...there is that unspoken love between them that even if it's never acted upon by the writers, is central to the characters and one of the great things about this show.

the scenes with the piano player near the end were heartbreaking and so well done. when bartlett told him he couldn't stay.

also good to see cj standing up for herself again.

all in all, a good show. here's hoping we get more of the magic back soon.
Old 10-29-03, 09:07 AM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Dammit! I didn't realize they showed an episode last week. I thought they weren't going to show it because of the World Series??? They show a rerun because of the NLCS, but show a regular episode during the World Series?

Can anyone give a brief summary of what happened??
Old 10-29-03, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by shoppingbear
As in, would we like some with our "whine"?
Actually I was referring to Donna's Aunt and Uncle arriving from Wisconsin, and Donna making Josh promise not to make cheese jokes.

Then Josh find out her Uncle works in the dairy industry I thought that was a good old fashioned Josh moment that they'd been missing.
Old 10-29-03, 03:27 PM

Originally posted by PeMo
Dammit! I didn't realize they showed an episode last week. I thought they weren't going to show it because of the World Series??? They show a rerun because of the NLCS, but show a regular episode during the World Series?

Can anyone give a brief summary of what happened??
Long time ago, but I'll try:

Not a lot of forward progress last week. A North Korean pianist wants to defect, but the Pres can't let him because they're in tenuous negotiations with his government. The kid is crushed, and in the end the negotiations fall apart anyway. CJ wanted the Pres to allow his defection, BTW.

Toby was complaining to Leo that they were off message, and he wanted to stop doing communications and take on a different job function. Leo said they'd discuss it.

Everyone thinks the new VP is a joke. Toby and Will make a phony speech about how unqualified he is. There's one congressman who's going to vote against the nomination, and Josh tries to change his mind, but can't, but his intern makes a phone call and gets it done, unbeknownst to Josh.

Of course, the "bad" speech Tobe and Will wrote accidentally got on the prompter, embarrassing both the Pres and VP. The VP later said it was funny, and that Toby and Will have their hands full trying to fix his image.

That's it, I think. New episode tonight