Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Order of Indy Jones' films to watch

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-03, 03:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So what order are you folks watching the Indy trilogy in? Movie release order or movie timeline chronological order?

Thong
Old 10-22-03, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Raiders....Temple.....Crusades.... Plain and simple
Old 10-22-03, 03:24 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Autobiographical
Old 10-22-03, 03:25 PM
Banned

"Temple" takes place a year before "Raiders" but there's still no benefit to watching it earlier. Unlike the "Star Wars" movies, the "Indy" movies are self-contained episodes. You learn nothing in "Temple" that adds any sort of insight into "Raiders". As a matter of fact, the swordsmen gag in "Temple", while technically occuring first in the chronology, was clearly made as a play on the swordsman gag in "Raiders". In any case, if you want to go crazy about chronological order anyway, you'd have to watch the opening of "Last Crusade" first, and that's not even counting the "Young Indy" TV series.
Old 10-22-03, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by REL77
Raiders....Temple.....Crusades.... Plain and simple
very simple...yes.
Old 10-22-03, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hey! It's the 30th Indy thread today! Anyone know the over/under on the grand total for Indy threads this week?
Old 10-22-03, 03:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Raiders... Crusades... Bonus DVD

As if there was anything else
Old 10-22-03, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
This is the most ridiculous thread I've read in weeks.
Old 10-22-03, 03:38 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by Matt Millheiser
Apparently you missed the one recently where the guy was arguing that Pixar should dump Disney because Disney sometimes packages their DVDs in clamshell cases.
Old 10-22-03, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Alphabetically by height?
Old 10-22-03, 03:41 PM

Originally posted by Johnny Zhivago
Hey! It's the 30th Indy thread today! Anyone know the over/under on the grand total for Indy threads this week?
Wait till the Original Trilogy comes out....they're gonna hafta rename this Star Wars Talk....
Old 10-22-03, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not really, if you assume that:

(a) the person has never seen the films before

and

(b) they are confused by the way that Lucasfilm has been presenting them.

Ever since 1998/9 (when the "Indiana Jones and..." was added to the packaging of the first film), they've highlighted that TEMPLE actually takes place before RAIDERS. The ordering by 'chapters' with the Young Indy releases includes Temple first.

A little confusion from people seeing the set for the first time doesn't seem ridiculous to me.
Old 10-22-03, 05:36 PM

Originally posted by nemein

Completely correct! With Kate Capshaw (one of the top 5 worst actresses ever) this movie feels alot like Jedi does due to the inclusion of the Ewoks... almost too campy!
Old 10-22-03, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
The "CHUCKING" one is worse.
Old 10-22-03, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Whichever way you want, you will have the DVDs for a long time to come, so does it really matter?
Old 10-22-03, 05:45 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
There are 30 Indy threads because this is the single most anticipated and important DVD release SO FAR in the six-year history of DVD.

Anyway, watch them in order of length, from the shortest to the longest. I believe this will also be release order.

Indy 4 is going to be 3 hours long.

Then Indy 5, "The Adventures of Indiana Jones and the Missing Dentures" will be four hours of us watching Indy watch Matlock while gumming his pureed carrots.
Old 10-22-03, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 978 Likes on 689 Posts
Just wanted to add that the gag in TEMPLE towards the end when Indy confronts the swordsmen is set up in RAIDERS.

So in other words, RAIDERS MUST be viewed previous to TEMPLE. Proceeding in any other fashion is punishable by death. Or so I've been told...
Old 10-22-03, 05:55 PM
Suspended

To get the most out of the movies and a complete rush.. you simply have to watch them ALL AT THE SAME TIME.

Get yourself hooked up to 3 TVs and 3 DVD players and you're all set.
Old 10-22-03, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by jough
There are 30 Indy threads because this is the single most anticipated and important DVD release SO FAR in the six-year history of DVD.
Hmmmm . . . That's a bold statement . . . not necessarily untrue, just very bold. I wonder what others might vie for this spot. . . maybe The Godfather Trilogy? I'll have to think about that . . . might even be thread-worthy.
Old 10-22-03, 09:45 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
I think the Indy trilogy would easily be the second most anticipated DVD set next to the eventual Star Wars Trilogy, which is just going to be INSANE. There won't be threads dedicated to the Star Wars DVDs - there will be entire web sites.

I think it's an "important" release only in that it's a milestone - it's the biggest name release that will out-sell and out-hype the Godfather collection if only because films that the "whole family can enjoy" will sell better than those that daddy likes to watch by himself with the lights out with a cigar in one hand and a glass of scotch in the other.

But what else even comes close to the Indy release? Good call on GF trilogy - the LOTR films are huge but nowhere near the Indy DVDs (in terms of anticipation from the J6Ps, not in terms of the quality of the discs or extras).

I was thinking while I was wandering Walmart yesterday (I almost never shop there but they had all sorts of cheap and neat stuff) what would be the top 10 major releases of DVD. Obviously the Matrix would have to be up there.

You're right, it's a topic for another thread.
Old 10-22-03, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Still no reason to create a new thread for each different idea you have. "What did you eat while watching?" "how did you unwarp it?" etc. etc.

Watch them the order they were made. Godfather II has scenes from before the godfather's timeline. should you watch it in order? well if you have the VHS chronological version you sorta have to, but otherwise, watch it like it was released. Raiders, Temple, Last. done deal.
Old 10-22-03, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Originally posted by Groucho
Apparently you missed the one recently where the guy was arguing that Pixar should dump Disney because Disney sometimes packages their DVDs in clamshell cases.
Oh, I was front and center for that particular abomination...
Old 10-22-03, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

No, no guys, this is a legitimate question.

On a similar note, what order should I watch the Friday The 13th films in? I know Jason X takes place after Freddy Vs. Jason, and I really want to do the films and filmmakers justice by respecting their intended order. Would I be missing out on key plot elements if I watched Freddy Vs. Jason first? I'm compelled to, because Freddy Vs. Jason takes place before Friday The 13th alphabetically, and that can't be an accident, so I should watch that first, right?

If you rolled your eyes at this post, you know how I felt reading the Indiana Jones order post...
Old 10-23-03, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by nemein

Temple of Doom always gets shit on. Such a shame for a very good movie.
Old 10-23-03, 09:49 AM

Damn man. That's harsh!

I started this thread b/c I am not a Indy fanatic like most people are. I wasn't sure of the chronological order of the trilogy. But sounds like everyone's watching Raiders, Temple, and Crusade. So what's the story's timeline order? Temple, Raiders, Crusade?

Thong

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.