Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Dick Van Dyke Show reviews?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-03, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Are there any reviews of the Dick Van Dyke show Seasons 1 and 2 yet? I have not seen any and would be interested to read them if there are any.
Old 10-22-03, 10:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got the sets yesterday and watched the first episode. The picture quality is pretty darn good. I realized how good when I could read the tiny word "Westinghouse" on the refrigerator behind Laura Petrie!
And Dick Van Dyke's face makeup seemed really pronounced - in a couple scenes he looked like a clown (I don't know if that is a result of the DVD's picture quality or an overenthusiastic makeup artist!)
The mono sound is clean too - I don't think it could be better.

Each episode has its own menu with scene selections and an extras submenu (extras include photo galleries and the occasional commentary) as well as information on when the episode was filmed and aired.

Other pleasant surprises were that the discs are in thin packs, and that there are "3-D" holograms on the box covers.

So, at first glance it looks like a well-done package. I can't wait to watch more of these episodes.

Guess it's a safe bet: If you love the show, you'll love these sets.

Adam
Old 10-22-03, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Let's try this again:

Is there any news on the Ottoman Collection? I want to get these season sets, but I don't want to have to double-dip if there's an uber-collection in the future.

das
Old 10-22-03, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by das Monkey
Let's try this again:

Is there any news on the Ottoman Collection? I want to get these season sets, but I don't want to have to double-dip if there's an uber-collection in the future.

das
There hasn't been any new information on the Ottoman front for about 6 months. According to Doug Denoff's latest updates at dickvandykeshow.com, he will not be able to do anything with regard to the collection until after the entire Image/Brownstein collection has been released, and presumably allowed to achieve its own sales potential.

So, when (or if) we will ever see the Ottoman collection is still anyone's guess. And, as much as I want that set, I can't resist the lure of the current sets.
Old 10-22-03, 08:19 PM

And, as much as I want that set, I can't resist the lure of the current sets.
I concur with that.

In addition, who on God's Earth of Green is gonna want to shell out $799 (!!) for the "Ottoman" Collection. Buying them individually (at approx. $50 per) would only yield a total consumer cost for all 158 fantastic episodes of $250 (for 5 season sets).

That high "Discs Plus Furnishings" price point is spectulated upon
here -----> at www.dvdondvd.com.

I received my 2 boxed sets of DVD-on-DVD on release date (October 21st), and I love them thus far. Like a previous poster, I watched the first episode, "Sick Boy And The Sitter", and it looked great. (A tad bit of a dirty/grainy opening credits sequence, which had me worried, but, as I've noticed with many other DVDs, the clarity seems to crystalize and become better after the opening theme, for some reason.)

As for the make-up on D.V.Dyke --- I believe I read that Dick had a bad, obvious cold sore on his face, that the make-up man tried his best to hide during the filming of Ep. #1 (which, incidentally was filmed on the exact same day as John F. Kennedy's inauguration, Jan. 20, 1961....which I've always found to be a kind of ironic twist, since Rob & Laura were considered by many to be the "First Couple of TV" during the JFK era). So...perhaps a bunch of extra make-up was needed to balance out the cold sore make-up. I think the sore is indeed evident during Dick's close-ups on Ep. #1 (lower left lip).

I'm amazed at the seeming lack of interest in such great TV comedies as the Van Dyke Show (and, of course, The Mary Tyler Moore Show as well). I'd love an MTM-S.2 set. What a waste of great material if those never see the light of day.

Of course, I realize many HT fans were not even born when these shows first aired. I only hope many younger viewers will discover the greatness of these older shows, like this V.Dyke Show. They are truly much better than the majority of stuff being called "sitcoms" in today's environment.

And: That $20 OFF rebate for Van Dyke S.1 + 2 should be a big boost in sales for these sets! Great idea, Image! Kudos.

EVERYBODY GO BUY THESE BOXED SETS! They are top-notch, with some great extras to boot. I'll be diving into those in the coming days.

DVD Empire is still listing the incorrect (too low) MSRP on these. So, get 'em now & save. Just $47.99 + $2.25 S&H minus a $5.00 e-coupon you can utilize. Not bad.

By-the-by.....I just now noticed a nice personal message on the dvdondvd.com site from Doug Denoff (son of one of the Dick Van Dyke Show writers, Sam Denoff)...........

A personal note from Douglas Denoff

The DVD release of the Dick Van Dyke Show started shipping October 21, 2003. I have been reading about how happy everyone is (even CERTAIN people) at finally getting their DVD on DVD. Many of you have followed the saga on this website and on various Message Boards about how I have tried for over four years to bring these DVD's to the public. Now it's a reality and I'm thrilled.

Those of you who have followed this saga and supported my efforts with your countless emails will understand when I say that regardless of money, ethics, William Morris Agents and their lawyers, and anyone else who has the guts to call this project their own, I can honestly say that I am sitting here in my apartment in New York City SMILING BIG SMILES because I know in my heart (and so does EVERYONE ELSE) that this whole bloody thing...and all of your happiness....was because of something I did.

Something I started.

That's a great feeling which nobody can take away from me.

Actually, to be really truthful - your TRUE happiness isn't due to me at all.

Unlike some, I have no problem giving credit where credit is due. Because I sleep very well at night.

Your happiness, and mine, is due to some other VERY brilliant people:

Carl Reiner
Sheldon Leonard
Danny Thomas
Dick Van Dyke
Mary Tyler Moore
Rose Marie
Morey Amsterdam
Larry Mathews
Richard Deacon
Ann Morgan Guilbert
Jerry Paris
Frank Adamo
Jerry Van Dyke

ALL the guest stars.....

and of course:

A FEW BRILLIANT WRITERS
Carl Reiner
Bill Persky & Sam Denoff
Bill Idelson
Rick Mittleman
David Adler
Walter Kempley
Jack Raymond
Norm Liebmann, Ed Haas
Arnold and Lois Peyser
Leo Solomon, Ben Gershman
John Whedon
Sheldon Keller, Howard Merrill
Ray Allen Saffian, Harvey Bullock
Charles Aidman, Roy Roberts
Lee Erwin
Martin Ragaway
Ray Brenner, Jack Guss
Ronald Alexander
Garry Marshall, Jerry Belson
Ernest Chambers
Nathaniel Curtis
Jay Burton
Joseph C. Cavella
Dale McRaven & Carl Kleinschmitt
Fred Freeman, Lawrence J. Cohen
Art Baer, Ben Joelson
Joe Bonaduce
Ronald Axe
Jack Winter

A SMATTERING OF STELLAR DIRECTORS
John Rich
James Komack
Alan Rafkin
Hal Cooper
Coby Ruskin
Jerry Paris
Claudio Guzman
Howard Morris
Peter Baldwin
Lee Phillips
Theodore J. Flicker
Richard Erdman

ONE HELLUVA GOOD MUSIC MAN:
Earle Hagen

AND EVERYONE ELSE WHO MADE IT HAPPEN
Ronny Jacobs
Robert de Grasse, A.S.C.
Ken Reid
Bud Molin, A.C.E.
Beryl Gelfond, A.C.E.
Frank Myers
John C. Chulay
Glenn Ross
Jimmy Niver
Marjorie Mullen
Ken Swartz
Cam McCulloch
Walter Popp
Harald Johnson
Tom Tuttle

AND CBS, PROCTOR & GAMBLE, KENT, GRANT TINKER, LEE RICH, AND ANYONE ELSE WHO TOUCHED THIS SHOW AND MADE IT A PART OF TELEVISION HISTORY.

ENJOY IT FOREVER ! THAT WAS MY WHOLE DREAM IN THE FIRST PLACE!

and of course, thanks to:
Vince Waldron
David Van Deusen

-------------------------------------------

Last edited by davidvp; 10-22-03 at 08:25 PM.
Old 10-22-03, 08:21 PM

Another fun D.VanDyke site......

www.thewalnuttimes.com
Old 10-22-03, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cool
Old 12-07-03, 10:41 PM

Season 3 coming February 24 (confirmed via Image).

MSRP: $69.99.

>> 5-disc set; Audio Commentaries Featuring Carl Reiner and Dick Van Dyke for Selected Episodes; Interviews with Cast and Producers; Rehearsal Footage; Emmy Award Telecast Clips Honoring The Dick Van Dyke Show; Original Commercials Featuring the Cast and Network Promotional Spots; Photo Galleries for Selected Episodes; Collectible Booklet Featuring Trivia, Biographies, Illustrations and More!

Old 12-07-03, 11:06 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
If a thread ever said it belonged in the Reviews Forum, I think this is it.