Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

No Standing Sections - See this before?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-03, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was looking for tickets for Shania Twain at the United Center (arena in Chicago) for my S.O.. I noticed that there are sections listed as NO STANIDNG.

I decided to look at other shows at the same place and they have the same listing. It seems that on the lower levels (or most of it) you are not allowed to stand.

What the hell is this ... Japan? I do not mind sitting at times, as my back gets to me, but if people are into the show they should get up and enjoy it.
Dance in the aisles (headbang if that's your thing) and respect your neighbor.
Old 10-21-03, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One simple answer - Shania Twain. No offense but I'd say your target audience, escpecially in the higher priced areas, are 35-40 in age. Most concerts I've been to with people from that age group tend to be relatively tame, i.e. sitting all of the time.

But I agree. If I'm going to a concert and I want to stand to see the show better or just get my groove thing on then I'm going to do just that!
Old 10-21-03, 04:19 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
35-40 year olds at a concert? What do they do, bus them over from the nursing home?
Old 10-21-03, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

ugh..

here in CT, we have a very nice venue called the Oakdale Theatre. in fact, it's almost *too* nice, as it attracts an older, ritzy crowd, who likes to go there, have a few cocktails, and SIT DOWN to watch a rock concert..

1998 i went there to see Santana with Ozomatli, and i was forced to SIT the entire show! i was up dancing as soon as the first tune started, and the guy in back of me started yelling at me to 'sit the F down'.. i ignored him for a while, while he was getting pretty furious... anyways, he went and got security, and 3 security guards made me sit down.. lame.
Old 10-21-03, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
The last time I saw Metallica (the Black album, I went w/ a GF, I hated them by then) I was one row off the floor, literally a 6" step, and security kept telling us to sit down. It made a crappy concert, by a then-crappy band even crappier.
Old 10-21-03, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
I have no problem with everyone getting up, getting down, dancing, jamming, etc. but it can be a problem for the people behind you, especially at these summer sheds with almost no slope in the reserved seating area (another reason to hate them).

For the last Rush tour, I was on my feet the whole three hours, which was a little tiring, but since everybody was doing it, I had little choice. Great show, lots of energy, and I expected to anyhow. During the Test For Echo tour, everyone had pretty much sat down by the middle of the second set. Except that when the drum solo began, one asshat decided he should stand. If he had danced, fine. If he had played mad air drums, fine. But he stood there like a goddamm stone, like he was in line at the DMV or something, about 20 rows in front of me, and was the [i]only jerk standing in the entire back section.

The most comfortable show I ever saw was ZZ Top. Bought the ticket the day of the show, and was way in the back. After the opening act, I noticed that the several rows behind me were empty, so I moved back about 6 rows, put my feet up, and relaxed. Ushers never said a word. Who's going to kick someone out of an empty section. No jerks in front of me, none to the sides, and none behind. Wish I could see every show like that.
Old 10-22-03, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by mkdevo
ugh..

here in CT, we have a very nice venue called the Oakdale Theatre. in fact, it's almost *too* nice, as it attracts an older, ritzy crowd, who likes to go there, have a few cocktails, and SIT DOWN to watch a rock concert..
I've been there before....it was definitely how you described when I went.

C_Fletch
One simple answer - Shania Twain. No offense but I'd say your target audience, escpecially in the higher priced areas, are 35-40 in age. Most concerts I've been to with people from that age group tend to be relatively tame, i.e. sitting all of the time.
Hey...I'm in that age group but I get what you are saying. I just hope that this is not a trend. I'm not the dancing type , but on the side sections I do not have a problem with other people standing and enjoying themselves as the incline allows me to see over them.
Old 10-22-03, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"35-40 year olds at a concert? What do they do, bus them over from the nursing home?"

I don't know. Do you live in a nursing home Groucho?
Old 10-22-03, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
While I've never heard of an enforced "no standing" rule at a show, I can say I hate going to shows where I'm expected to sit the entire time and clap politely at the end of each song. Last year, I saw Los Lobos twice. Once opening for Trey Anastasio. Everyone danced the entire time despite the presence of seats. Once, they headlined. The crowd was noticeably older and no one stood, danced, cheered or showed any emotion at all. The band was playing an incredible show and was rewarded by polite clapping after each song. Lame.
Old 10-23-03, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

No, I haven't seen it and hope I never do. A concert is like a huge party. There's something wrong about demanding people to sit like you're at an opera or something. I can't imagine an artist even wanting this. Can you imagine them trying to film a concert video while the audience is just stuck in their seats?! How boring.

For me it actually takes away from the experience when my section is simply sitting staring at the artist with no response, no emotion, c'mon! Why even bother, just buy the "live" album and stay home. Even if I'm tired and I'm sitting if someone is blocking my view I don't care, that's what they are there for -- to have a good time.

Besides don't many artists (at the large arenas at least) have those huge video monitors that you can see no matter what.

I'm going to see Shania on Friday. I'll have to ask my friend if our tickets have a stipulation.
Old 10-23-03, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by iggystar
I'm going to see Shania on Friday. I'll have to ask my friend if our tickets have a stipulation.
Don't know if that's the Chicago show but on TicketMaster they have a line to choose seats that states NO STANDING SECTIONS. I can't imagine this is the artist... I just think it is the arena as they have this option for Simon and Garfunkel (sp?) as well....but I guess most will be sitting for that....can't wait to see if this applies when they have a real rock show.
Old 10-23-03, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
I can't imagine being FORCED to sit down at a concert.

Sit if you want, but stop bitching because people want to stand.

We really need Lemmy to come and kick a bunch of people in the ass.
Old 10-23-03, 03:53 PM
Retired

People that aren't into the band/singer (or music in general) enough to stand up should't go to a concert IMO.