Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Belle And Sebastian - Fans Only (DVD)

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-03, 10:00 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Perusing the web this morning and came across this:

Belle And Sebastian - Fans Only
Starring: Belle And Sebastian
Rated: NR
Ships: 10/21/03
Format: DVD Region#1
Number of Discs: 1

Belle And Sebastian Fans Only DVD Movie

Synopsis: This DVD features Glasgow's pop ensemble and includes all of their promo music videos, additional film for videos but never used, 2 short films outlining the band's history, interviews with band members (first ever), new interviews, TV performance footage, live footage, a discography section, allowing the viewer to preview a sample of each track, montage sequences combining film and stills.

cool!
Old 10-21-03, 10:15 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Sweet!

I'm seeing them next month, BTW...
Old 10-26-03, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks for the info!
Old 10-27-03, 11:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is the UK release, yes? I think the US release will be postponed til 11.21.
Old 12-31-03, 06:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FYI, this is finally being released in the US on 1/21.

You can preorder it directly from the Matador site for $17. Deepdiscountdvd's price is $18.86.

My favorite store, www.parasol.com has it for preorder for $13.39, and here's what they say about it:

The jam-packed 'Fans Only' DVD contains all the band's videos, documentary footage, interviews, performances all over the world both live and on television and much more. Region 1, NTSC. Out Winter 2003. The DVD is over 2 hours long and mainly consists of a feature-length documentary that stitches together pieces of interview footage, all the promo videos, live performances, interviews, outtakes, TV appearances, early documentary footage, exclusive material and behind-the-scenes insights into the evolution of the band. It is possible to access the various bits and pieces directly by using the "scene selection" feature. In addition, there are several "extras" beyond the documentary itself, featuring, for example, the press release that the band held in London in 2000 to announce the release of 'Fold Your Hands Child You Walk Like A Peasant.' Although the back of the DVD lists 16 tracks, this is purely for aesthetic reasons. In fact over 75 songs are featured on the disc. Some are fragmentary, but some of these fragments are unreleased songs or covers not available elsewhere. Some of the unreleased songs actually play in the background during menus or scene selections. The live footage comes from Glastonbury, Bowlie Weekender at Cambersands, the Coachella festival and many other sources. The TV appearances include live performances and interviews on British, French, American and Brazilian TV, as well as a 1996 Scottish TV program about the band entitled "Don't Look Down". The band can be heard performing covers of "Darlin'" by the Beach Boys, "Rhinestone Cowboy" by Glen Campbell, "The Kids Are Alright" by The Who, "Poupée de cire, poupée de son" by Serge Gainsbourg, "A Minha, Menina" by Jorge Ben and "Baby" by Caetano Veloso.
Old 12-31-03, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by stevevt
FYI, this is finally being released in the US on 1/21.

You can preorder it directly from the Matador site for $17. Deepdiscountdvd's price is $18.86.

My favorite store, www.parasol.com has it for preorder for $13.39, and here's what they say about it:
Great news! I have been waiting for this for a long time and almost went with the R2. When I emailed Matador recently they couldn't give me a release date so I was concerned, glad I waited it out though.

And yes, Parasol is great
Old 12-31-03, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks for the info. Does Parasol usually have a sale in Jan.? I believe they do one a few times a year. It's a good place-I've been to their location in IL a few times. Nice people-employee Angie Heaton has a few cds there that are excellent.
Old 12-31-03, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Awesome! I heard about this a few months ago, and even requested a screener to review (although I'm not holding my breath). B&S is a fantastic band, though...I saw them last year at the Tower Theater in Philly.
Old 12-31-03, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Buford T Pusser
Thanks for the info. Does Parasol usually have a sale in Jan.? I believe they do one a few times a year. It's a good place-I've been to their location in IL a few times. Nice people-employee Angie Heaton has a few cds there that are excellent.
The only yearly sales I've seen have been on used stuff, I think. At any rate, their new approach is to just take 15% of their regular price off new releases and preorders, which is good enough for me.

I only have the newer Angie Heaton cd, but I'll be picking up the next one whenever it comes out. She's really nice on the phone, too.
Old 01-02-04, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

More info:

Dog On Wheels
I Could Be Dreaming
A Century Of Fakers
Like Dylan In The Movies
Lazy Line Painter Jane
Dirty Dream #2
Is It Wicked Not To Care
The Boy With The Arab Strap
Poupee De Cire Poupee De Son
This Is Just A Modern Rock Song
Legal Man
The Wrong Girl
Wandering Alone
Jonathan David
I'm Waking Up To Us
The State I Am In

The Brit-Award-winning Scottish seven-piece act, who this month played their biggest ever US shows and are set to release their fifth album in October (the Trevor Horn produced ‘Dear Catastrophe Waitress’ - their debut for new label Rough Trade), have worked for almost 12 months with Glaswegian film-maker Blair Young on the DVD, which serves as a complete overview of the band’s time with Jeepster Recordings.
The ‘FANS ONLY’ main feature includes every BELLE & SEBASTIAN promo video made during the band’s time with Jeepster (many of which are previously unseen), rare live and TV footage from around the world (including the Brit Awards win footage and a cracking rendition of ‘Poupee De Cire, Poupee De Son’, the Serge Gainsbourg written/France Gall sung 1965 Eurovision winning entry), interviews, two early documentary films and various photographic montages shot by the band themselves.

Fans will be delighted to learn that the DVD extras finally mark the release of the track ‘Landslide’, which was written by former band-member Isobel Campbell, but never found its way onto an official release. Also included in the 20-minutes of DVD extras are live cover versions of The Who’s ‘The Kids Are Alright’ and The Beach Boys’ ‘Darlin’’, an alternate (and previously unseen) video take of ‘Jonathan David’, press conference footage, plus a fully interactive and navigable BELLE & SEBASTIAN discography.

‘FANS ONLY’ DVD – Cat No. JPRDVD001

The main feature (1hr 56min) includes the following full music tracks (alongside a huge amount of additional BELLE & SEBASTIAN film and music);

Dog On Wheels (promo video)
I Could Be Dreaming (promo video from ‘Don’t Look Down’ TV special )
Century Of Fakers (promo video)
Like Dylan In The Movies (Isobel’s promo video/never-screened ‘Sessions At West 54th St.’ TV)
Lazy Line Painter Jane (promo video)
Dirty Dream Number Two (promo video)
Is It Wicked Not To Care? (promo video)
The Boy With The Arab Strap (live at Coachella Festival 2002)
Poupee De Cire, Poupee De Son (live on ‘The Black Sessions’ TV)
This Is Just A Modern Rock Song (promo video)
Legal Man (promo video)
Tigermilk (live outtakes film montage)
The Wrong Girl (promo video)
Wandering Alone (live on ‘Program do Jo’ TV)
Jonathan David (promo video)
I’m Waking Up To Us (live on ‘Later’ TV)
The State I Am In (live at Glastonbury Festival 2002)

Hidden track - after closing credits (4min);

Legal Man (live on ‘Top Of The Pops’ TV)

Extras (20min);

Jonathan David (alternate promo video - ‘Sixties’ version)
‘Fold Your Hands Child…’ press conference footage
Dog On Wheels (live at Bowlie Weekender 1999)
Landslide (live at Bowlie Weekender 1999)
The Kids Are Alright (live at Bowlie Weekender 1999)
Darlin’ (live at Coachella Festival 2002)
Belle & Sebastian interactive discography

‘Fans Only’ DVD - Technical specs;

Region : 2
Audio : AC-3 Stereo
Visuals : 4:3 PAL
Chapter Stops : 28
Certificate : E

DVD compiler Blair Young said of his work with BELLE & SEBASTIAN on the project;

"I was approached by the band to compile the DVD about a year and a half ago. There was some concern that, however charismatic they are, the earlier videos may be a little testing when you watch them all in a row. So we set about digging around for material, and considering the band had a reputation for being ‘media shy’, found ourselves with around 50 hours worth of footage. We wanted it to summarise that era, but at the same time show the band in a slightly different light. I wanted it to look like an early 90s skateboard video, in particular the Alien Workshop & Deathbox videos, where inbetween the main sections would be clips or collages that added to the general aura of things.

“What we tried to do with the DVD was make something completely watchable from start to finish; it didn't have to make sense, and it didn't have to be strictly chronological. It was more important that it was good to watch, and although the technology of the DVD encourages random access, we wanted it to be like a film, where you get more from watching the whole, rather than just the parts. Its a bit like making a good compilation tape for a friend - you lay the thing out in an appropriate order, maybe throw in a few little samples from films, and try and make your friend want to make a compilation tape too. But as much as possible, you try to let them hear stuff they've never heard before, or notice songs they didn't like previously."

http://www.belleandsebastian.com/dvd...recording=fans
Old 01-14-04, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm most excited by the inclusion of their appearance on Top of the Pops. Apparently there was a man in a gorilla suit.

Which every DVD should have, in my opinion.
Old 01-15-04, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

In case anyone's still dragging their feet...

I finally ordered this tonight -- from Parasol, or course. They'll be shipping it Saturday, so I should have it Tuesday.
Old 01-15-04, 09:07 PM

I can't effing wait to get this.
Old 01-21-04, 02:24 AM

I picked this up today! The Top of the Pops segment is hilarious, they're obviously lip-synching and it doesn't look like they're happy about it.
Old 01-22-04, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

One of the best parts on this DVD was the Brazillian talk show, which seems to be predicated on the band's assumption that the host didn't speak English very well, when he was really ****ing with them.

The Don't Look Down documentary was really interesting as well. They haven't changed all that much.