Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

XFiles Seasons 7 / 8 : should I buy it ?

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 10-20-03, 04:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi

I have just finished to watch the XFiles season 6 .

Now I have a big problem :

I have never seen one single episode of the following seasons
and I donīt know if I should buy the seasons 7 and 8 dvdīs boxsets.

And do you know why ?

I love the x-files but I hate the funny/lite episodes ( there were several in the season 6) ... so :

In seasons 7 and 8 , should I expect more X-Files Lite

or

Should I buy it and get the serious/dark X-files?

Please ... no spoilers

Thanks

Edgler
Old 10-20-03, 04:27 PM

I personally love season 7, it does have new mythology but it is pretty heavy with "lite" episodes, not so much as season 6 though. Season 8 is "darker", without giving away too much there are events that keep the whole season on a downbeat.

There are a lot of people who don't like season 7 or 8 (their loss!) so you may want to trying renting the first disc on each season on Netflix or something.

Hope I helped!

Last edited by SideShow; 10-20-03 at 04:32 PM.
Old 10-20-03, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Is there any hope of a price drop on the earlier seasons any time soon? This is the one TV series I have put off on buying because the price is just way to high.

I actually had stopped watching it on TV around season 5, so I can't help you on your question.
Old 10-20-03, 05:10 PM

I hope there is for the fans that can't afford the set right now, but there's not a price drop announced. I got all mine used though, I paid for all 7 seasons about what I would for 3 1/2 new at the store and didn't have any problems with them.
Old 10-20-03, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
My advise would be to rent the discs first and then make the decision to buy. SideShow is right, a lot of people don't care for the last few seasons (there were good moments and bad moments) and it would be a shame to drop all that $$ just to find out you don't like them.

If you're a completist, then it doesn't matter because you'll buy them regardless. Either way, make sure to get a good deal.
Old 10-20-03, 05:33 PM

I would say get them on eBay. If you are a good bid-sniper, you can easily get them new for under $40. Just make sure to avoid those damn Asian bootlegs that are all REAL cheap.
Old 10-20-03, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm amazed at the fans that just give up on the last few seasons and how they tend to steer other away from the seasons.

I do understand your reasoning on saving some cash since they are so pricey. The last seasons are very different but I think they have a number of things going for them.

If you can't get a great deal on them then I guess it would be best to rent them. But I do hope you enjoy them and buy them farther down the road.
Old 10-20-03, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 256 Likes on 181 Posts
Season 5 was the crest of the show's good years. Season 6 saw a noticeable downturn, and it's all downhill from there. There are still good episodes mixed in here and there, but they become few and far between until you hit rock bottom with Season 9, indisputably the show's worst. And then you get to the final episode, probably the worst 2 hours of television in the history of the medium, and you'll wish you'd stopped several box sets earlier and saved yourself the pain.
Old 10-20-03, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Loved 7, but skip 8. They re-run them on Sci-Fi and TNT I think. Watch them there and then decide. I gave up on the season sets after 4. $150 for a season is a joke.
Old 10-20-03, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by madcougar
$150 for a season is a joke.
Come on now. No member here would, in their right mind, pay full price for these.

Total Action Universe has hooked me up 7 times so far. Their shipping may be a tad slow from Canada but for the price you can't beat. Actually by waiting until after the release date you could beat it but I'm not the type that puts off buying my favorite titles.
Old 10-20-03, 10:16 PM

Being a hard core phile.
I enjoyed the first 7 seasons very much and have all of those sets.Season 7 is much better than 6 IMO. more darker eps certianly.
Seasons 8 and 9 not so much as there is limited DD for those two seasons. but will probably get at some point at a reasonable price. For me that is going to be in the $40.00 range.

you can get the sets new online for around $90 dollars. I bought most of mine from Entertainme.com
Old 10-21-03, 01:09 AM

Seasons 8 and 9 not so much as there is limited DD for those two seasons
How limited ?

Just in a few episodes ?
Old 10-21-03, 05:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
www.dvdsoon.com has season 7 and 8 at a very fair price.
Old 10-21-03, 06:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was a big fan of X-Files through most of it's run, but the last two seasons completely turned me against the show and I certainly won't be buying season 8. Still on the fence on 7.

I would agree: find a way to check out some episodes either through rental or Sci-Fi. It's a lot of money to spend on something you could easily regret.
Old 10-21-03, 08:01 AM

I'd say Season 7 is definately worth it. It isn't as good as the early seasons, but it has some really good episodes. As for seasons 8 & 9, I wouldn't touch them with a 12-foot pole. I watched much of 8 when it aired, and I found it to be terrible. The stories were poorly written, and the character development was flawed at best.

As for DD's appearances, he's in about half of S8 and only one of S9.
Old 10-21-03, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How can you purchase the first however many seasons (5 or 6), and stop there? I don't understand. The storyline ends at the end of Season 9. It's like buying the first two Lord of the Rings movies and stopping there. Makes no sense.
Old 10-21-03, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Josh Z
Season 5 was the crest of the show's good years. Season 6 saw a noticeable downturn, and it's all downhill from there. There are still good episodes mixed in here and there, but they become few and far between until you hit rock bottom with Season 9, indisputably the show's worst. And then you get to the final episode, probably the worst 2 hours of television in the history of the medium, and you'll wish you'd stopped several box sets earlier and saved yourself the pain.
What he said.
Old 10-21-03, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by jmj713
How can you purchase the first however many seasons (5 or 6), and stop there? I don't understand. The storyline ends at the end of Season 9. It's like buying the first two Lord of the Rings movies and stopping there. Makes no sense.
Not in my opinion. LotR has a clear purpose, and a satisfying conclusion.

X-Files just rambles about until it finally runs out of steam. The storyline ends at Season 9? Did you really consider that a 'conclusion'?

X-Files for me ends with season 5 + the theatrical film.
Old 10-21-03, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

X-Files just rambles about until it finally runs out of steam. The storyline ends at Season 9? Did you really consider that a 'conclusion'?
Well, I can't think of a reason NOT to buy the rest of the seasons if you bought at least one. It's like a contract. Perhaps I'm just a completist collector, but if I had every season except the last two, I'd look at that shelf of the neat row of boxes and feel something missing.
Old 10-21-03, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by jmj713
Well, I can't think of a reason NOT to buy the rest of the seasons if you bought at least one. It's like a contract. Perhaps I'm just a completist collector, but if I had every season except the last two, I'd look at that shelf of the neat row of boxes and feel something missing.
Just a difference in opinion, I guess. I don't 'collect' things that I don't like. I look at the row of boxes and don't feel anything's missing... I've seen seasons 6-9 and I think they suck. I have no desire to spend $600 retail and take up shelf space for something that I hated. And will never watch.

That's really what it comes down to... you say that you 'can't think of a reason NOT to buy the rest if I've bought at least one'. I enjoy seasons 1-5, so I bought them. I hate the subsequent seasons, with Season 9 being all but unwatchabe. *That's* my reason.
Old 10-21-03, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Josh Z
Season 5 was the crest of the show's good years. Season 6 saw a noticeable downturn, and it's all downhill from there. There are still good episodes mixed in here and there, but they become few and far between ....

My sentiments exactly - and the few epsodes that I did enjoy from the 6-7-8-9 wouldn't justify buying those seasons.

Love the first 5 seasons, and just recently started from the beginning again .... 2nd season started last night!
Old 10-21-03, 05:44 PM

I personally enjoyed about 60% of the Season 7 episodes, some a great deal (I still get a kick out of X-Cops). I am glad I picked it up used, though, for like $60 and I think I'll just be waiting out for a $50 or less used copy for Seasons 8 and 9.
Old 10-21-03, 10:50 PM

The storyline ends at the end of Season 9.
Sadly, that's not really the truth. The original storyline culminated in the middle of the sixth season. The 6th season's cliffhanger introduced a new mythology, and the storyline by the end of season 7 was clearly a stretch at best. Other than the intereactions between Mulder and Scully, the core storyline of the show was definately non-existent by the time the 8th season arrived.
Old 10-21-03, 11:53 PM
Banned

I don't think anyone should buy anything they don't want but personally, when I buy Season 1 of a TV show, I'm in for the long haul. There may be seasons of "X-Files" that are overall worse than others, but the best episode in Season 8 or 9 is still better than the worst episode in one of the better seasons like 3 or 4. For me, when I buy TV shows on DVD, I'm buying them for better or worse.
Old 10-22-03, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally posted by GuruAskew
I don't think anyone should buy anything they don't want but personally, when I buy Season 1 of a TV show, I'm in for the long haul. There may be seasons of "X-Files" that are overall worse than others, but the best episode in Season 8 or 9 is still better than the worst episode in one of the better seasons like 3 or 4. For me, when I buy TV shows on DVD, I'm buying them for better or worse.
What he said!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.