Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

XBOX Buying Advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-03, 09:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
XBOX Buying Advice

I've decided after debating it for months that I'm going to finally buy an XBOX. While doing my research on it, however, I've noticed a lot of people discussing a possible price drop. Does anyone think I should wait a little longer for a price drop since the holidays aren't too far away?
Old 10-20-03, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 412 Likes on 309 Posts
I'd buy one now if I were you, especially if you can find any of the Splinter Cell/Mech Assault bundles anywhere. You'll be glad you did.

Old 10-20-03, 09:44 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 681 Likes on 457 Posts
I would buy it now if you find a good bundle or discount deal. Either the above bundle or one of the deals that BB or CC often advertise (free game w/ purchase, etc) or a MSN Dollars deal should be available if you search for it.

And 30 days from when you buy it, if a price drop or better deal is found, return it and re-buy it.
Old 10-20-03, 09:45 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I don't know if you read this forum regularly, but a price drop has always been predicted for every console. It makes it very hard to seperate fact from fiction.

My best guess? The Xbox will not drop in price between now and the holidays.
Old 10-20-03, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah.....don't wait for another drop or you'll be playing the waiting game until the NeXtBOX and PS3 come out.

The bundle mentioned above it good but MechAssault is only any real fun if you plan on getting LIVE. The single player game is pretty bad.
Old 10-20-03, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by MasterofDVD
Yeah.....don't wait for another drop or you'll be playing the waiting game until the NeXtBOX and PS3 come out.

The bundle mentioned above it good but MechAssault is only any real fun if you plan on getting LIVE. The single player game is pretty bad.
I dissagree, I think that the MechAssault Single player game is a solid and enjoyable game.
Old 10-20-03, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by goLUCKY
I dissagree, I think that the MechAssault Single player game is a solid and enjoyable game.
I agree. If you're into this genre, definately worth it.
Old 10-20-03, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It wasn't stated that the bundle should be bought if the poster liked the genre.....was it?

I got MA real cheap brand new and hated the single player. LIVE added a bunch to an otherwise flat game.

If Matt969 is into that type of game maybe he'll think better of it but I wouldn't recommend it as a blind buy to someone who doesn't like this kind of stuff. I'd say look for another deal or bundle but as stated before......go ahead and do it now.
Old 12-18-03, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm bringing this thread back up from the dead.

I'm new to the console "game" as I haven't had a game console since Nintendo 64 was release (before that, I had a: Nintendo 64, [an original] Super Nintendo, an original NES, Game Boy [and then Game Boy pocket and Game Boy color], all 3 models of the Atari, and a Virtual Boy or whatever that awful Nintendo VR thing was). As of lately, with my X-Mas bonus from work and the extra hours I've been putting in, I've been thinking about buying an X-Box. With quite a few great games on it, I was thinking the time is now to buy it...

Which one is a better deal:
$179.99 - Includes the console, the controller, two games (Clone Wars and Tetris), and 2 free months to X-Box Live. A few stores like GameCrazy adds coupons for free rentals and the such.
$249.99 - Radio Shack's deal which includes the console, two controllers, the DVD Player remote, two games (Jet Set Future Radio and Sega GT), a magazine subscription, and a $50 mail-in rebate.
$269.99 - Wal Mart's deal which includes the console, a controller, the DVD player remote, two games (Clone Wars and Tetris), 2 free months to X-Box Live, and the X-Box Live starter kit.

Or does anybody else know of better deals? Either way, when I purchase my X-Box, Im buying quite a few games and a X-Box Live starter kit.
Old 12-18-03, 10:02 PM

The Xbox isn't selling well. EB games just received a mail in $30.00 rebate on systems bought after 12/18. A price drop could be around the corner. Wait. If you can't wait, then EB has it's bundle at @ $240.00. It comes with Star Wars/Tetris, Shenmue 2 or Crash Bandicoot and another controller (plus extras ie, EGM subscription, extender cables). If you throw in another 50 bucks you could pick up a new EA title and get a EA Platinum Hits for free. That puts you at $290.00 for the system and 5 games and you still get the rebate. Save your money and buy a Gamecube (if you don't already own one).
Old 12-18-03, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Matthew Chmiel
Which one is a better deal:
$179.99 - Includes the console, the controller, two games (Clone Wars and Tetris), and 2 free months to X-Box Live. A few stores like GameCrazy adds coupons for free rentals and the such.
$249.99 - Radio Shack's deal which includes the console, two controllers, the DVD Player remote, two games (Jet Set Future Radio and Sega GT), a magazine subscription, and a $50 mail-in rebate.
$269.99 - Wal Mart's deal which includes the console, a controller, the DVD player remote, two games (Clone Wars and Tetris), 2 free months to X-Box Live, and the X-Box Live starter kit.

Or does anybody else know of better deals? Either way, when I purchase my X-Box, Im buying quite a few games and a X-Box Live starter kit.
While I don't advocate the Xbox, you may want to look at EBGames.com. They have an Xbox bundle for $179.99 that includes Clone Wars, Tetris, Jet Set Radio Future, and Sega GT with free 2-day shipping and no tax (depending on your state).
Old 12-18-03, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 412 Likes on 309 Posts
The Wal-Mart deal sounds like a ripoff. It's $179 for the system with the 2 games, and controller, and I think it comes with the 2 free months of Xbox Live. So Wal-Mart is saying for $269 they will give you all the forementioned items along with the DVD playback kit and Xbox Live Starter Kit?

Do the math...$179+$29+69= $277

It's not really a big savings, and if you went to a place like Best Buy, you could get both the DVD playback kit and the Xbox Live starter kit for $5 cheaper with the gamers card coupon. Plus there is always the possibility you may find a Live kit for $25-$35 at Target.
Old 12-19-03, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 920 Likes on 653 Posts
Sam's had a nice gift set when I was there the other night. It is the CloneWars/Tetris bundle, but they packaged in the DVD remote and an extra S controller. Can't remember the price though.
Old 12-19-03, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,317 Likes on 4,318 Posts
Originally posted by Michael Corvin
Sam's had a nice gift set when I was there the other night. It is the CloneWars/Tetris bundle, but they packaged in the DVD remote and an extra S controller. Can't remember the price though.
It's $219.57.

At Costco, it's just pennies more.

It's a slightly good deal if you really need the DVD controller, since that's never on sale anywhere. It'll save you $40 over buying everything seperately at full price.
Old 12-19-03, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
The Xbox isn't selling well
I love this kind of sentiment. Why does it matter to you whether it is selling well or not?

Xbox sales expand

Microsoft reports its game-console revenues are up by $53 million. PC game earnings also increase.

As part of its third-quarter 2003 earnings report, Microsoft announced today that earnings at its Home and Entertainment arm increased 20 percent to $581 million, compared to a $485 million year ago.

http://www.gamespot.com/all/news/news_6077286.html
Old 12-19-03, 07:51 AM

Xbox sales are stagnant. Even with Xbox being our (EB Games) Vender of the Month in Nov. the console sales are still struggling. Nintendo sold 750,000 units compared to Xbox 450,000 for Nov. A price drop is needed (so MSN can lose more money on each unit). I own an Xbox and I still say buy a Gamecube-better games. It matters to me why it's selling or not because it pays for my house, my bills, and if I'm forced to push a console for a month I better believe in the system (which I don't-nice hardware-crap games).
Old 12-19-03, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 689 Posts
Originally posted by Decker
It's $219.57.

At Costco, it's just pennies more.

It's a slightly good deal if you really need the DVD controller, since that's never on sale anywhere. It'll save you $40 over buying everything seperately at full price.
Decker's exactly right. It is really good if you need the DVD remote. My Sam's is beating the Costco across the street on this one & have their price point at $215.57.

Weird that everyone says it isn't selling well. All my late adopter friends have either bought one in the last month or are buying one for X-mas. These are all guys that normally do not own game systems.

The above deal definitely beats what I paid for mine in November of 2001!
Old 12-19-03, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Xbox sales are stagnant
Ok if you say so.

For its part, Microsoft said year-over-year sales of Xbox were up 7% for the Thanksgiving week.
http://www.gamemarketwatch.com/news/item.asp?nid=2819

The move makes the cube-shaped device significantly cheaper than its competitors, Sony's Playstation 2 and Microsoft's Xbox. Yet some critics are not impressed. They see the price cuts as reflecting the Gamecube's poor sales figures, not a position of strength. Xbox manufacturer Microsoft seemed similarly unconcerned about the Nintendo move. PR manager Boris Schneider-Johne felt that there was no call for a similar price cut on the Xbox
http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/worl.../24/2003077120

Perhaps more worrying, sales of Microsoft's Xbox are rising swiftly as the 25th approaches. Sales went up 22% this week, and the console is set to pass the coveted one million sales mark just before Christmas.
http://www.cube-europe.com/news.php?nid=5851
Old 12-19-03, 03:54 PM

Originally posted by jediwicz
I own an Xbox and I still say buy a Gamecube-better games. It matters to me why it's selling or not because it pays for my house, my bills, and if I'm forced to push a console for a month I better believe in the system (which I don't-nice hardware-crap games).
Since the person who brought this thread back from the dead seems to be in the research stage and might be swayed by people's opinions here, it seems like a little background check would be in order to judge the words of someone who inserts "I own an Xbox" to somehow give off the impression of an unbiased opinion.

Here's how eager jediwicz was to get one at the time...

Originally posted by jediwicz
Is it really worth it, KOTOR? I'm a huge Nintendo fan and I don't want to support the box. It sucks because I am also a Star Wars FREAK ie; multiple tattoos and mega-toys. Do I really need to own this console? Will it ever get ported? I hate Microsoft. I'll get one if I have to though.
Now if I were buying any console, I'd discount the presence of an extra controller if, as almost always, it's a cheap third-party one. Historically, that means it's probably terrible. If you'll regularly play multiplayer games, there's a good chance that you'd end up buying a "real" controller, sending the free one to a closet.

And given the reliabilites of the original Playstation, Dreamcast, PS2, and now Xbox, personally I'm not sure I'd buy without a warranty, which would eliminate a number of retailers.

I'd look for a simple Circuit City or Best Best deal... a typical "Buy the console, get an additional game" or "Buy the console and an additional game, get a discount."
Old 12-19-03, 04:05 PM

Originally posted by mr.snowmizer
Since the person who brought this thread back from the dead seems to be in the research stage and might be swayed by people's opinions here, it seems like a little background check would be in order to judge the words of someone who inserts "I own an Xbox" to somehow give off the impression of an unbiased opinion.

Here's how eager jediwicz was to get one at the time...

Now if I were buying any console, I'd discount the presence of an extra controller if, as almost always, it's a cheap third-party one. Historically, that means it's probably terrible. If you'll regularly play multiplayer games, there's a good chance that you'd end up buying a "real" controller, sending the free one to a closet.

And given the reliabilites of the original Playstation, Dreamcast, PS2, and now Xbox, personally I'm not sure I'd buy without a warranty, which would eliminate a number of retailers.

I'd look for a simple Circuit City or Best Best deal... a typical "Buy the console, get an additional game" or "Buy the console and an additional game, get a discount."
mr.snowmizer!!!!

TUSHAY!!!!-
Old 12-19-03, 04:18 PM

That was awesome, although opinions do change...

Originally posted by Apollo
mr.snowmizer!!!!

TUSHAY!!!!-
Old 12-20-03, 04:33 PM

Here's Electronic Boutique's latest offer, both online and in their stores:

"Get a $30 mail-in gift voucher! Includes an Xbox game system with the Controller S and two free games—Tetris Worlds and Star Wars: The Clone Wars."

Although I'm not sure if this is preferable to gamecrazy's dozen rentals (if you don't want a warranty... I don't think gamecrazy offers them, but I could be wrong), this is just more indication that there are deals to be had outside of some huge, multi-item, retailer-created bundles.