Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Carnivale - 10-19-03

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-03, 10:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Carnivale - 10-19-03

Well this show seems to have lost its way. Halfway thru I was looking up at the clock to see when it would be ending. The last 3 episodes have not been very good in my opinion. They seem to have veered away from the 2 main characters and what their purpose is in this show.

This week we see some 'Carnivale Justice' and it was just plain boring.

Well I will watch it until the end, but if it doesn't pick up I don't see myself watching this next season, if there is one.

Chris
Old 10-20-03, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's what I've said for the past couple of weeks, but this time I disagree. I thought the story actually progressed for a change, especially on Justin's end. Now his story is known by everyone who was listening on the radio and he's off riding the rails, having given up his faith.

This was probably the first episode that I didn't think needed to be condensed into a half hour.
Old 10-20-03, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I decided to watch this episode while being on the computer since I have no emotionally attachment to it previously and was often bored.

I enjoyed this one much better. I think the less focus I gave it might have helped.
Old 10-20-03, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Carnivale - 10-19-03

Originally posted by mrpayroll

This week we see some 'Carnivale Justice' and it was just plain boring.
I was waiting for the Carni's to open the box and let out the Gimp, who would then pummel the bartender.

Note to self, when it comes to carnivale justice, pick a low number.

Was Hawkins ever in the mine, or just passed out by the old man?

The show was good, but I did check the time 1/2 way through. It is no SFU, but definately fills up a Sunday.

Jon
Old 10-20-03, 07:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another S L O W moving episode, IMO. There were some revelations at the end,
Spoiler:
when the bartender told Sampson what the "secret" of Babylon is
, but it just took to damned long to get there for me.

Does anyone know if Carnivale is going to be a returning series? I thought I had read in the mast that this was strictly a mini-series; similar to "From the Earth to the Moon," and there was no option for a second season....

As I've said in previous posts, I'll probably watch this one through the end, since I am intrigued to see HOW good will battle EVIL (and who, and definitely WHEN!!), but this show is moving at a snail's pace....
Old 10-20-03, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Watching paint dry....watching an episode of Carnivale

It's a toss-up.
Old 10-20-03, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I actually dozed off - I was taping it for a friend anyway, and I had to rewind to watch the last 10 minutes. I really wanted to like this series, and have been doing all I can to convince myself that it's all going to be worth the effort.

If I can stay awake....
Old 10-20-03, 09:05 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
With me, that fact that this is a so-called "slow moving" show does not bother me in the least. The pace this show is choosing to take makes it all the more enjoyable for me. I love all the details and time that is spent with this show. In last night's episode the whole Brother Justin storyline was so well-done that I am glad they chose to do it that way. IMO, Hawkins was never physically in the mine. He was put in a trance by Lodz.
Old 10-20-03, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Geofferson
..... He was put in a trance by Lodz.
Maybe that's what made me doze off!
Old 10-20-03, 11:23 PM

I thought it was more interesting last night than it has been for the last couple of weeks.

Dora Mae's new predicament was heart-wrenching.

Spoiler:
She's now a whore of Babylon.
Metaphorically speaking, I guess she's been that all along.
Old 10-20-03, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I thought it was pretty cool. It was obvious what Babylon was last week, but I didn't put together why they killed her until Stangler mentioned there were no women in the town. I had no trouble staying awake or remaining engrossed in the story.

das
Old 10-21-03, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I thought the story is moving along. I like the show so far. It's slow paced. But it fits the show. I am still not 100% sold on it, but I feel more confident in how good the show is each week. The characters are being developed. Some things are starting to make sense.
Old 10-21-03, 05:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts
Originally posted by RandyC
I thought the story is moving along. I like the show so far. It's slow paced. But it fits the show. I am still not 100% sold on it, but I feel more confident in how good the show is each week. The characters are being developed. Some things are starting to make sense.
It's going to be the resolution that makes or breaks this show.

So far, I can see it going either way. It's either going to awesome by the end, or it'll crawl right up its own ass. I'm hoping for the former...
Old 10-21-03, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
IMO, Hawkins was never physically in the mine. He was put in a trance by Lodz.
Could be - but why/how was the "TAVATARA" written on his forearm in coal?

I thought the carnival justice concept was pretty cool. Did anyone nothice the card Samson threw on top of Dora Mae? It said something like the Magnificent Samson and had him in a muscle pose. Thought that was pretty cool.

Ugh - would it be possible to have a Carnivale thread that doesn't have more posts moaning about the pace of the show and more about the show itself? I mean by now we ALL know the show is SLOW paced. Do we need to bemoan that 6 weeks in a row? I happen to like the pace - it allows for a TON of intricate detail to be exposed and absorbed by the viewer. I don't really think a second of the show has been wasted.
Old 10-21-03, 09:55 AM

I thought the 10/19 episode actually picked up the pace compared to the two or three before it. I enjoyed it, but I am starting to lose some of the initial excitment I had for the show. It will be interesting to see how it all ends, which in my opinion could save the entire season.

Brett
Old 10-21-03, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
So what happened to Dora Mae anyway? I'm not up on my Bible trivia, if it's even from that, but it almost seemed to me like she was supposed to be a vampire/zombie now or something.
Old 10-21-03, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: New Jersey, where the state motto should be Leave No Tree Standing
Originally posted by Tom Banjo
So what happened to Dora Mae anyway? I'm not up on my Bible trivia, if it's even from that, but it almost seemed to me like she was supposed to be a vampire/zombie now or something.
Everyone in Babylon is a zombie, except for the Irish bartender. If you die in Babylon, you become a zombie, so Dora Mae is now a zombie, and apparently the only female one at that. That's why the bartender didn't want to be killed in town. But since he was, he too will be a zombie now. Interesting concept.

I agree, enough whining about the pace of the show. It's a slow show and I love it for that.
Old 10-21-03, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Zombie? I thought they were souls trapped in Babylon. I don't see why a zombie can't leave town. Maybe I missed that explanation though.
Old 10-21-03, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Spainlinx0 - You are correct. Their souls get TRAPPED in Babylon. That is why the bartender asked to be killed out of town - so he wouldn't be doomed to spend eternity trapped as a lost soul in Babylon.

Now how Scudder had anything to do with that... we have yet to be told.
Old 10-21-03, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by rfduncan
Spainlinx0 - You are correct. Their souls get TRAPPED in Babylon. That is why the bartender asked to be killed out of town - so he wouldn't be doomed to spend eternity trapped as a lost soul in Babylon.

Now how Scudder had anything to do with that... we have yet to be told.

Why couldn't the bartender leave? it seems he would depart every day and come back every night?
Old 10-21-03, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Originally posted by jon-w9
Why couldn't the bartender leave? it seems he would depart every day and come back every night?
Maybe if you were there when the Scutter incident happened, which the bartender said he was, you could not leave the town of your own volition.
Old 10-21-03, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

There's going to be a Carnivale Marathon on Nov. 8th, running all the episodes in order up to that point. That's probably the best way to watch it. Some of my disappointment just comes from wanting to see what happens next and having to wait a week.

I liked this weeks episode. My biggest problem is that Hawkins never wants to talk to Lodz. You'd think, by this point, he'd want to get some stuff cleared up and Lodz obviously has some important information to share. Hawkins constant refusal to talk seems as silly as Scully telling Mulder that he's being ridiculous for believing in aliens after 8 seasons of seeing crazy shit going down. But I guess he has his reasons, above just being stubborn. I'm sure it'll all come out.
Old 10-22-03, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: New Jersey, where the state motto should be Leave No Tree Standing
Originally posted by spainlinx0
Zombie? I thought they were souls trapped in Babylon. I don't see why a zombie can't leave town. Maybe I missed that explanation though.
I was leaning more towards zombies because they all came out at night and attended the carnival. They seemed to be corporeal. If they were souls, then they'd be more like ghosts, I'd guess. I'm open to either way, though.
Old 10-22-03, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm really enjoying this show. As for the pacing of the show, I look at it like I'm reading a book with each show being a different chapter. I think this show would be best if they did it like a lot anime shows, and just tell the story in one season and leave it at that.
Old 10-22-03, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

With me, that fact that this is a so-called "slow moving" show does not bother me in the least. The pace this show is choosing to take makes it all the more enjoyable for me. I love all the details and time that is spent with this show.
I agree . I really like this show and do not find it boring at all. I think its a refreshing change from the crap thats on network tv.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.