SSX 3 Discussion Thread

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

SSX 3 Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-03, 10:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SSX 3 Gets a 10 in PSM and A- in PLAY!!!

I don't know about the rest of you but this game looks and sound amazing. I can't wait till the 21st. Every magazing is giving it rave reviews!!
Old 10-17-03, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I started a thread about this a while back but nobody seemed into it. I'm going to be getting it next week for PS2. Can't wait to play online! The videos on EA look amazing and the soundtrack rocks too (Higher Ground by the RHCP, and Rockstar by NERD in particular are awesome!)
Old 10-17-03, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts
This does sound good. I'm leaning towards getting it, especially since the first review of Amped 2 likened playing it to "eating a yellow snowball".
Old 10-17-03, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
I wasn't even aware SSX3 was coming out until a week ago (I know, I know...get with the program). A sweet surprise all the same and I'm looking forward to it and Jak II both.
Old 10-18-03, 07:30 PM

IGN reviews for SSX3

PS2 Score 9.5
http://ps2.ign.com/articles/455/455424p1.html

Xbox Score 9.4
http://xbox.ign.com/articles/455/455...html?fromint=1

Gamecube 9.3
http://cube.ign.com/articles/455/455472p1.html
Old 10-18-03, 08:05 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by Decker
This does sound good. I'm leaning towards getting it, especially since the first review of Amped 2 likened playing it to "eating a yellow snowball".
Check out this hands-ons article about it: http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrank...eviewid=292334

I think some people are put-off by the fact you actually need skill to play a game like this.

Sorry if this is OT!

Last edited by Gallant Pig; 10-18-03 at 08:36 PM.
Old 10-18-03, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have SSX Tricky, and Amped. One I loved, and look forward to the sequel. One I am really indifferent of. Okay, no more suspense...

I thought Amped blew away SSX Tricky. I know they are two different game types; Tricky is an over the top, gravity defying racing game, and Amped is more of a snowboarding sim.

Granted, Amped had me very frustrated at times, due to its difficulty, but Tricky was just another relatively boring racing game to me.

I'll probably get both (eventually), but don't see myself getting SSX 3 until it hits the bargain bins.
Old 10-19-03, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Question about SSX 3 and release dates

I buy a lot of video games, but rarely do I buy them on their release dates, unless it's something I'm really looking forward to. In the past when I've tried to get games on their official release dates I've been told by various store employees that they don't always have the games on their shelves until a day or two after the release date.

I'm really looking forward to SSX 3 and want to get it ASAP. The official release date is tomorrow, Oct. 20, according to IGN. So, here's my question to those of you who know more about releases in various stores than I do: Will it be on shelves anywhere tomorrow? How about Wal-Mart at midnight tonight? What's my best bet?
Old 10-19-03, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That is actually its shipping date. So you could expect it in specialty shops like Electronic Boutique and Gamestop on Tuesday. Other stores like Bestbuy and Circuit City will probably get them any where between later that day or 2 days from then.
Old 10-20-03, 09:11 PM

SSX 3 Xbox,GC *PS2 added later Gamespot reviews

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/sports/ssx3/review.html
Xbox Score 9.0

http://www.gamespot.com/gamecube/spo...x3/review.html
Gamecube Score 9.0

http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/sports/ssx3/review.html
Playstation 2 Score 9.0
They labeled it the best out of the 3. Most likely because of the online portion of the PS2 version

Last paragraph same in all reviews
SSX 3 delivers a rush like few racing games or action sports games have ever achieved. The game's new, open-ended structure, excellent audio, enhanced trick system, and improved graphics combine to make this a superlative sequel to a series that's always had high standards. Regardless of whether you've played SSX or care much about snowboarding, you'd be doing yourself a favor by checking this game out.

Last edited by Galanthas; 10-21-03 at 04:36 PM.
Old 10-20-03, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
This game looks to be the only Snowboard game to get. It will probably kill Amped 2 and 1080.
Old 10-20-03, 10:09 PM
Mod Emeritus

open-ended structure
So it's not a racing game anymore?

Edit: it still says racing game, but the open ended has me intrigued.
Old 10-20-03, 10:11 PM
Mod Emeritus

Guys I'm expecting a lot of threads on SSX which looks pretty cool, let's keep the discussion of reviews and the game in here, thanks.
Old 10-20-03, 10:18 PM

Originally posted by Gallant Pig
Guys I'm expecting a lot of threads on SSX which looks pretty cool, let's keep the discussion of reviews and the game in here, thanks.
Sorry about starting the second thread, forgot about this one and didn't check for it . Will try to remember the next time.

Thanks for transplanting it, saw this thread then started looking for mine to do the same and delete the other one hehe.
Old 10-20-03, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They shows Amped 2 on X-Play the other night and it looked great. I loved the original. Only SSX I ever played was Tricky, and I really didn't care for it all that much.
Old 10-21-03, 12:16 AM

Well, I wasn't too interested in this one (see my post above for why), but after seeing a commercial for it, my interest has increased somewhat. The game looks better, more realistic, and the "open-ended"ness of it is a big plus (basically, it looks like they took some good cues from Amped).

At first I thought I might be seeing an Amped 2 commercial. The character they showed looked cool, and I didn't see any crazy "break-dancing" moves on a snowboard, which I thought were pretty lame in tricky.
Old 10-21-03, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Anyone know if SSX 3 supports 4-player split-screen multiplayer?
Old 10-21-03, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by TheMadMonk
At first I thought I might be seeing an Amped 2 commercial. The character they showed looked cool, and I didn't see any crazy "break-dancing" moves on a snowboard, which I thought were pretty lame in tricky.
I'm sure those crazy breakdancing moves AND MORE will be included in this game. I actually enjoyed that aspect of SSX Tricky. Some of the tricks looked pretty damn cool. It's supposed to be un-realistic... it's a video game.
Old 10-21-03, 10:14 AM

Originally posted by 19K
I'm sure those crazy breakdancing moves AND MORE will be included in this game. I actually enjoyed that aspect of SSX Tricky. Some of the tricks looked pretty damn cool. It's supposed to be un-realistic... it's a video game.
Yeah, the gamespot review said that even with the changes it is still basically an trick-based racing game. So, my interest has gone back down. I'll probably get it when it gets cheap.
Old 10-21-03, 11:39 AM

Originally posted by TheMadMonk
Yeah, the gamespot review said that even with the changes it is still basically an trick-based racing game. So, my interest has gone back down. I'll probably get it when it gets cheap.
The tricked based "Boost" was the main selling point of the SSX series... It was copied by other games and considered revolutionary and was why it was THE game to get when PS2 first came out.

Just checked my FedEx Tracking and it's arrived. When I get home, It'll be grinding rails and big air bonuses. Getting "boosts" for knocking down other player is my favorite. Reminds me of Road Rash (... maybe SSX should incorporate weapons? But they'd loose their E rating)
Old 10-21-03, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just picked it up at lunch and played a bit. Will take some getting used to after SSX. I never played Tricky. Still seems fun and the tricks and graphics are great. Fell a bit more since the tricks and recoveries are timed differently. Didn't get too deep into it, but the interface and presentation are top-notch from my brief initial impression. I was the first one to pick it up from my local Gamestop. More impressions to come.
Old 10-21-03, 01:14 PM

It's gonna be tough reading this thread and the Castlevania thread while waiting for Sunday to arrive.
Old 10-21-03, 04:33 PM

PS2 gamespot review added to post with the other 2 reviews.
Old 10-21-03, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Looked for it today at a few places. Had no luck at all.

I was hoping Toys R Us would of made a huge mistake and would of received it on time so I could get in on the deal they have going on. Then I started to look around and didn't even see 2 other titles I really had to have. I was so bummed after that I just blew all my money on DVDs.

I'll probably wait a bit to get it now. My friends aren't interested in this game and I was gonna get it right away so we'd have a new party game. Since it's just for me I'll wait and save the money. But I am glad the reviews are so positive.
Old 10-21-03, 06:14 PM

good game so far

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.