Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Punisher - S: Tom Jane

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-03, 03:03 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...it coulda been Busta Rhymes [as rumoured]...
Thomas Jane is THE PUNISHER!
[ZENtertainment]

Artisan Pictures and Marvel Studios announced today that Thomas Jane has been cast in the title role of The Punisher, the feature film production of Marvel Comics’ immensely popular comic book series of the same name.

The film is being produced by Marvel Studios’ CEO Avi Arad and producer Gale Anne Hurd with renowned screenwriter Jonathan Hensleigh writing and directing. With the project’s other major roles currently being cast, The Punisher will commence principal photography in early July 2003 and the event film will arrive in theatres during the summer of 2004. Artisan Pictures President of Production, Richard Saperstein and Marvel’s Arad made the announcement.

The Punisher rises out of the ongoing Artisan and Marvel joint venture designed to develop, produce and distribute Marvel character based programming across all media with profits generated from each project shared equally after distribution fees are incurred. In addition to The Punisher, the two entities are in active development on the big screen adaptation of the venerable character, Iron Fist.

The Punisher tells the story of FBI undercover agent, Frank Castle, who until now has beat considerable odds. A former Special Forces operative, he is finally moving out of the field and into a desk job – and a normal life with his wife and son. Then Castle’s world is shaken to its core by a nightmare he has longed feared: his family is executed as a repercussion from his final undercover assignment. With unparalleled intensity, ferocious intelligence and fearless actions, Castle seeks to punish the murderers – and finds the one thing he least expected: redemption.

Marvel Comics’ The Punisher made his first appearance over 25 years ago as a supporting character. The hero proved so popular with readers that he could not be contained in a peripheral role and by the 1990’s he was starring in as many as three titles a month. In 2000, The Punisher reemerged as one of Marvel Comics’ highest selling solo books and remains a top seller for the Company.

Commented Marvel Studios’ Arad, “Although Frank Castle is a tough-as-nails vigilante, he is, at his very core, an extremely tortured soul, a victim of survivor’s guilt. Thomas Jane, being a character actor, is going to have all the dimension necessary to bring to life the depth of a character who is both the hero and the victim with the physicality of a Super Hero. By signing Thomas, we follow the Marvel tradition of bringing art-house actors in to tackle our complex characters. We are very excited to have him as part of our family.”

Added Artisan’s Saperstein, “Thomas is a very talented and focused actor who possesses both the physical and dramatic qualities we were hoping to find in our Punisher. He brings with him an intensity and strength that we believe will help to define the character and energize the film.”

Noted producer Gale Anne Hurd, “Thomas is one of our finest actors and comes from the indie world, as have other actors who’ve assumed Super Hero roles so successfully such as Tobey Maguire (Spider-Man) and Eric Bana (The Hulk). We are thrilled that an actor of this caliber will be our Punisher.”

Thomas Jane is a versatile actor with a wide range of strong performances to his credit. Jane can be seen in the Warner Bros.’ film, Dreamcatcher, starring alongside Morgan Freeman and in the title role of Stander for director Bronwen Hughes. Jane starred opposite Cameron Diaz in Columbia Pictures’ The Sweetest Thing. Prior to that, Jane starred as legendary baseball player Mickey Mantle in HBO’s acclaimed film 61*. Additional credits for Jane include roles in Lions Gate’s Under Suspicion, Warner Brothers’ Deep Blue Sea, 20th Century Fox’s The Thin Red Line and New Line’s Boogie Nights.

The Punisher’s writer and director Jonathan Hensleigh has written some of the genre’s most notable action films including The Rock, Armageddon, Jumanji and Die Hard: With a Vengeance. Hensleigh also executive produced Armageddon as well as Gone in Sixty Seconds and Con Air. Gale Anne Hurd, whose next project is the epic superhero tent pole release from Universal, The Hulk, directed by Ang Lee, has produced such box office hits as Armageddon, Terminator, Aliens, The Abyss, Terminator 2: Judgment Day, The Ghost and the Darkness, The Relic and Dante's Peak.
Old 04-04-03, 07:01 AM

that guy is waaaaaaaaaay too skinny to fill to Punisher role. i don't think it fits him at all, unless he hits the gym real hard. i say they should bring back Dolph.
Old 04-04-03, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Im glad they went with a good actor and one that is at least a little older, i swear i thought theyd go with a younger actor just to appease some demographic. Thomas Jane has been good in what ive seen him in and im sure he can bulk up but the Punisher is not really a leather clad superhero, all I want them to have is the damn skull on his chest, one of the many things not done right in the Lundgren version.
Old 04-04-03, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by harosa
...all I want them to have is the damn skull on his chest, one of the many things not done right in the Lundgren version.
But..there was a skull on his KNIFE..
Old 04-04-03, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thomas Jane sounds like a terrible choice, but I'll probably see this one anyways. I always like Punisher.

Now if they can hurry up and make that Ghost Rider movie...
Old 04-04-03, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a MUCH bigger problem w/ the decision of MAKING THIS MOVIE, than I do with the decision of the actor playing Punisher.

The comic book movies are just being milked to death. Punisher does not translate well into a movie. A guy w/ guns & grenades wanting revenge on all bad guys. The crazy catch, he wears a white skull on his shirt. Ooooooo that movie needs to be made. On the big screen unless they have some amazing script written, which I doubt. This movie has no soaring man with a cape, no swooping vigalante sweeping from building to buidling. no masked billionaire w/ gadgets. There is nothing that seperates this from a million other guy with gun movies.
Old 04-04-03, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Sessa17
There is nothing that seperates this from a million other guy with gun movies.
Um... a BIG FRICKIN' SKULL ON HIS TORSO! Hellooooo!!!

With Hensleigh doing the script, I'm sure it'll be an entertaining ride, if not the most intellectually stimulating piece.
Old 04-04-03, 12:44 PM
Banned

I hope it doesnt suck as much as the 80's version. I watched a hour of it and had to turn it off.
Old 04-04-03, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

He better put on a LOT of muscle.

You can bad mouth the Lundgren Punisher all you want, but you cant deny that he looked like he could snap your neck in a second. This Jane guy looks a little wimpy.

D
Old 04-04-03, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
The crazy catch, he wears a white skull on his shirt. Ooooooo that movie needs to be made.

Sessa, you're too much.
Old 04-04-03, 02:39 PM
Banned

At least he has hair on his arms.

Old 04-04-03, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

Put a skull logo on his chest and he don't look too bad...

Just a shame that we won't see him against Spidey or Daredevil.
Old 04-04-03, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
i say they should bring back Dolph.
Please email me a QP of whatever you're smoking.
Old 04-04-03, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
I have a MUCH bigger problem w/ the decision of MAKING THIS MOVIE, than I do with the decision of the actor playing Punisher.

The comic book movies are just being milked to death. Punisher does not translate well into a movie. A guy w/ guns & grenades wanting revenge on all bad guys. The crazy catch, he wears a white skull on his shirt. Ooooooo that movie needs to be made. On the big screen unless they have some amazing script written, which I doubt. This movie has no soaring man with a cape, no swooping vigalante sweeping from building to buidling. no masked billionaire w/ gadgets. There is nothing that seperates this from a million other guy with gun movies.
Man, I so agree with you on this one, you posted almost exactly what I did on a comic book message board elsewhere... To Joe Moviegoer, there's nothing about the Punisher that screams out, "SEE THIS!" Even Daredevil, a modest hit, had the 'blind man' hook. Spider-Man, Superman, Batman, Hulk, X-Men all offer SPECTACLE. The Punisher is very down to earth as an idea and I just can't see the movie being a huge success. Unless it's done just like the Garth Ennis comics which were wonderfully over the top and goofy, there'll be nothing separating this from "Death Wish Part XVII"
Old 04-04-03, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,193 Likes on 1,498 Posts
Dolph will always be The Punisher in my heart.

I really can't see the new movie being that great, for the above mentioned reasons. BUT, I think an Iron Fist movie could end up being pretty cool!
Old 04-05-03, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think I would have wrote a very dark and gritty R-rated version of the film, I hope that's what they do-nothing flashy, all grit.
I would have combined Road to Perdition and Dirty Harry for the Punisher. They need to have some Daredevil references, because they were great rivals/friends.

Maybe for a sequel have both in the movie?
Old 04-05-03, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I think it would be better to put Punisher in either a DD or Spidey flick as a villain, than to make another Punisher movie.
Old 04-05-03, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally posted by jonpeters
I think I would have wrote a very dark and gritty R-rated version of the film, I hope that's what they do-nothing flashy, all grit.
I would have combined Road to Perdition and Dirty Harry for the Punisher. They need to have some Daredevil references, because they were great rivals/friends.

Maybe for a sequel have both in the movie?
And which studio would allow that? No way we'll see Punisher in a Daredevil movie or vice versa, much like we'll never see Spidey or Kingpin in a movie. different studios, different character rights.

The Only studio that can somewhat have super universe continuity would be Warner Bros since they own the rights to all DC characters.

Last edited by devilshalo; 04-05-03 at 11:54 AM.
Old 04-05-03, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

All he has to do is build his chest & arms a bit to look a little rip,The Punisher wasnt a musle bound weight lifter dude(like Dolph was when he was the Punisher),he was normal size with pumped up chest and arms.
Old 04-29-03, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Old 04-29-03, 08:32 PM

Not sure about that picture. Looks kinda like a Halloween costume. I have my concerns with Hensleigh at the helm (his writing credits aren't exactly stellar...Armageddon? BAH). But, you know, I have no problems with having a movie where a guy runs around and just...blows stuff up real good. I like those movies, and if anything I look forward to another if it's at least done well. Though, ergh, I doubt that'll happen.
Old 04-29-03, 09:14 PM

errr can't make fun of CGI....errr....comic book movie...no CGI jokes...eerrrr....going back to the hulk thread to crack jokes on the CGI .
Old 04-29-03, 11:13 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
One of the only reasons to enjoy Dolph's PUNISHER is that the violence gets ultra vicious, sadly the pumped up gore factor was lost when the MPAA bestowed it's R-rating after some trims were made here and there. The Japanese laserdisc is a unrated cut of the film.
Old 04-30-03, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by White Knight
errr can't make fun of CGI....errr....comic book movie...no CGI jokes...eerrrr....going back to the hulk thread to crack jokes on the CGI .
Why would you make fun of CGI? Seems kind of pointless.

I think that outfit looks goofy. I want to see the unrated cut of the first Punisher.
Old 04-30-03, 12:25 AM
Banned

Punisher has no depth, why do you guys even care? They might as well make iron man or black lightning. They have no depth

Batman : Dark Side Of People
Superman : Good Side Of People
Spiderman : Loser Side Of People
Daredevil : Handicap Side Of People

WTF IS THE PUNISHER! @$@$ ARNOLD DID HIS STORY LIKE 50 #%#^# TIMES!

YOU KILLED MY WIFE NOW I WILL REVENGE HER.

Batman stops crimes, superman saves lives, xmen whine about their problems.

I cant wait for Thor. Gee I hope they bought up that property quick. Maybe they can mix together and do a reality thor movie!

@%@%@# STUDIO MORONS!!! ##%#%#

As sick as people are with reality tv they're going to get with comic book movies.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.