Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

I wonder if this line will be removed from Indy and Last Crusade

Old 10-19-03, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The last time I saw the film on TV, it had this line removed.

When Ford tells the Nazi's how the person will disappear and that no one will see him again, he knows 1000 voices, languages, etc.

Then you see his friend and he says "does anybody here speak english" to a bunch of strangers...

I believe it was from Crusade (could have it mistaken with another film i guess but i was sure).

Was this line edited out?

Sanjay
Old 10-19-03, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I can't imagine a reason in the world why that line would be edited out for the DVD. I remember the line too. If you saw it on TV, they probably edited it out for time constraint reasons.
Old 10-20-03, 11:00 AM

Ugh, but it is a line that never should have been written. I felt bad that they turned Marcus into a buffoon. Between that line and him falling off his horse at the end...

Clearly Marcus was a great archaeologist as he comments (in Raiders) that a few years earlier he would have gone after the Ark himself. He survived long enough to become Indy's boss, so he clearly knows his stuff.

Then they turn him into a clown for a few cheap laughs. Unforgivable.

Also, I'll buy it the second it comes out.
Old 10-20-03, 11:16 AM
Suspended

I like that part of the movie. I thought that it was hilarious.

I do not think that Marcus was a great archeologist. I always thought that he was just museum curator with lofty aspirations.
Old 10-20-03, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Danger1313
Ugh, but it is a line that never should have been written. I felt bad that they turned Marcus into a buffoon. Between that line and him falling off his horse at the end...
Marcus is supposed to be a bit of a buffoon . . . that's the point. He is a lab/research/administrative archiologist while Indy is a field archiologist. While it is a stereotype, I have known a number of friends in lab/research/administrative fields who are excellent examples people who fall apart when they leave the confines of their lab/library/museum/office. It's not necessarily a bad thing, just different skill set that can lead to some humorous results.
Old 10-20-03, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
As Arnie would say: Negative.
Old 10-20-03, 11:33 AM

Speilberg states on the "Making The Trilogy" documentary that the reason they had Marcus like this was so they could show how completely out of his element he was outside of his own museum...

Besides, Indy immediately clarifies the line about Brody speaking 1000 languages (which he said to Ilsa to try and fool her into thinking Brody wasn't to be taken lightly) by telling his father that Marcus "Got lost in his own museum".
Old 10-20-03, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think it's a funny line,

"does anyone here speak english...or even ancient greek ?"
Old 10-20-03, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 369 Likes on 263 Posts
It's in there.

"Water?"

"No thanks, fish make love in it."
Old 10-20-03, 11:55 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
OMFG!

CENSORSHIP!!!
Old 10-20-03, 12:06 PM

Here is the exchange from Indy to Donovan and the Brody's line. It's as close as I can remember.. but that last line.. as MajorJoe listed caught me off guard when I first heard it....Brody does say it... listen close it's hysterical.

Indy - "He has a two day start which is more than he need. Marcus has friends from here to the Sudan, can speak a dozen languages, he'll blend it, disappear, with any luck... he has the grail already."

Cut to Marcus

Marcus - "Does anyone here speak English? or even ancient Greek... Water? oh no thank you, fish make love in it."
Old 10-20-03, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 158 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally posted by Tigger
Water? oh no thank you, fish make love in it."
Geez I don't remeber that part of that whole line, I do remember the English Acient Greek part of course.
Old 10-20-03, 12:37 PM

I'm just saying it seems like the Marcus Brody from Raiders seems like a real human being while the Marcus from Last Crusade has turned into a bumbling dunderpate.

I understand the comedic aspects of making such a decision, but I think it betrays the character. And really, he can't stay on his horse? That's the best they could do for humor regarding Marcus? To end the movie? Hoo boy.
Old 10-21-03, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My friend who did quality control for the Indy titles found a funny subtitle error. When Sean Connery says "I should've mailed it to the Marx Brothers," the subtitle read, "I mailed it to the Marx Brothers." It got written up, of course, but it's pretty hilarious when you think about it.
Old 10-21-03, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wonder if this is true on the DVD....

In the Theatrical Release when Walter Donovan (Julian Glover) is trying to aquire help from the Sultan (Alexei Sayle) he points to a chest of gold items and says "... donated by the finest Jewish families in Germany". In the later releases (Video, TV brodcast etc) the word Jewish was edited out.
Old 10-21-03, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My VHS of the movie has long since deteriorated, but I believe that line was intact on it. Could be a false memory though.
Old 10-21-03, 11:17 AM

Originally posted by Rammsteinfan
I wonder if this is true on the DVD....

In the Theatrical Release when Walter Donovan (Julian Glover) is trying to aquire help from the Sultan (Alexei Sayle) he points to a chest of gold items and says "... donated by the finest Jewish families in Germany". In the later releases (Video, TV brodcast etc) the word Jewish was edited out.
This was NEVER even in the theatrical release...it was something Speilberg dubbed over in the editing room. The idea that it was in the theatrical release is a long-standing myth.
Old 10-21-03, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Danger1313
I'm just saying it seems like the Marcus Brody from Raiders seems like a real human being while the Marcus from Last Crusade has turned into a bumbling dunderpate.
It's not just Marcus. Nearly everyone in the film is a mugging idiot, overacting like they're in a cartoon. I hate this movie.

I love Raiders. Temple of Doom has a few enjoyable moments. I'm passing on the boxset. I wish they were selling them individually as 2 disc sets.
Old 10-21-03, 01:31 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I'm with Spooky. The "Jewish" line was never in any version of the movie.
Old 10-21-03, 09:42 PM

The "Jewish" line WAS there in European video releases. Sorry, Groucho, I know better.

And by the way, I think "Crusade" was a pathetic sequel with cartoonish characters and situations, and no substance at all.