Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

First "Old School", then "Elf", now "Bewitched"?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-03, 03:11 PM

Received 812 Likes on 528 Posts

Looks like he replaced Jim Carrey...

I'll skip it for sure... I rate this right up there with "McHales Navy" as one of the worst remakes ever conceived.

Ferrell Brings Magic Touch to 'Bewitched'

Hollywood Reporter - 10/10/03

"Old School" star Will Ferrell has landed the coveted role of Darrin in a feature remake of "Bewitched."

The Columbia Pictures project, which is expected to star Nicole Kidman in the lead role of Samantha, is being directed by Nora Ephron ("You've Got Mail").

Ferrell has been busy of late, with starring turns in the upcoming New Line comedy "Elf" and the DreamWorks comedy "Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy."
Old 10-19-03, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
That's one role I think Jim Carey would be best suited for.
Old 10-19-03, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No interest in this one.

(Unless Nicole wears sexy lingerie through the whole thing)
Old 10-19-03, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Man I'm torn. on one hand I'm going to see this because of Nicole. on the other hand I dislike Will so much it might push me away from even watching.
Old 10-19-03, 04:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am sort of the opposite I would only watch because of will, I hate remakes, and I don't care for nicole, I think jim would have been a better pick for the role though
Old 10-19-03, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,854 Likes on 1,147 Posts
Speaking as someone who hates Jim Carey and loves Ferrell I wll check these out.

Elf looks hilarious.
Old 10-19-03, 07:43 PM

Abner!!! Abner!!! They're on their third Darren!!! Theres something screwy going on at that Stevens house...

Dammit Gladys! Shut your hole!... Anyway, anybody is better than that Dick Sergeant fellow...
Old 10-19-03, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 492 Likes on 290 Posts
I'm a Ferrell fan so I'll keep an eye out.
Old 10-19-03, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 920 Likes on 653 Posts
nicole who?
Old 10-19-03, 11:03 PM
Banned

Originally posted by ArchibaldTuttle
I am sort of the opposite I would only watch because of will, I hate remakes, and I don't care for nicole, I think jim would have been a better pick for the role though
Agree with everything.
Old 10-19-03, 11:03 PM
Premium Member

Received 725 Likes on 478 Posts
Will is cool, Nicole as Sam doesn't seem like a good choice to me. Doesn't sound like movie material overall.
Old 10-19-03, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 704 Likes on 434 Posts
Nora Ephron's name alone will keep me away from any project. Writing "When Harry Met Sally" can only take you so far if you're responsible for "Michael", "Hanging Up", "You've Got Mail", and "Mixed Nuts."
Old 10-20-03, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What they need to do is have Ferrel play Darrin for like the first 40 minutes of the movie then, with no explanation at all, replace him with Jim Carrey. Then, and only then, would the Bewitched movie be complete.
Old 10-20-03, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Darrin is the straight-man to Samantha. That's not the sort of role Carrey should play. Ferrell is a better choice.

Honbk!
Old 10-20-03, 04:27 AM
TCG
DVD Talk Special Edition

it seems unpopular here, but i think nicole kidman is incredible! her acting is good, but i find her so hot! i'll see the movie. Ferrell is hilarious, too.
Old 10-20-03, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 293 Likes on 213 Posts
Originally posted by Charlie Goose
Darrin is the straight-man to Samantha. That's not the sort of role Carrey should play. Ferrell is a better choice.

Honbk!
I actually like the idea of someone making this into a movie. Years ago on the internet, polls started going around about who should play who if they brought "Bewitched" and "Jeannie" to the big screen. I've said from day one that I thought Nicole Kidman should play Samantha. There was a shot of her in "Batman Forever" where she so looked so much like Elizabeth Montgomery, it was scary. From that point on, I thought if they did make "Bewitched" into a movie, she'd be perfect for the part if not just for her looks. I also said in a perfect world Jim Carrey should play Darren because he kind of has the same facial features and Dick York. But then it would turn into a "Jim Carrey movie". Not to mention his salary requirements. Then I thought the guy from the "Evil Dead" films would make a good Darren. Now? Collin Farrel would be good. I don't like the idea of Will Ferrell playing him. Just doesn't feel right. Now maybe he should play Larry Tate. Any word on who's playing Endora? I've said for years I thought Shirley MacLaine or Joan Collins should play her.
Old 10-20-03, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by calhoun07
What they need to do is have Ferrel play Darrin for like the first 40 minutes of the movie then, with no explanation at all, replace him with Jim Carrey. Then, and only then, would the Bewitched movie be complete.
Now that is the best idea I've heard in a while.
Old 10-20-03, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by calhoun07
Old 10-20-03, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Daytripper
Then I thought the guy from the "Evil Dead" films would make a good Darren. Now? Collin Farrel would be good.
Bruce Campbell. You are correct. He has the PERECT chin for it too.

I don't like the idea of Will Ferrell playing him. Just doesn't feel right. Now maybe he should play Larry Tate.
Ick - he shouldn't be involved with this project. Short of his role in Zoolander, I haven't liked him in anything he's made.

Any word on who's playing Endora? I've said for years I thought Shirley MacLaine or Joan Collins should play her.
BOTH choices have definite perks. I'd love to see either of them. Now who would you cast as Aunt Clara and Uncle Arthur?
Old 10-20-03, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 293 Likes on 213 Posts
Originally posted by rfduncan
Bruce Campbell. You are correct. He has the PERECT chin for it too.

Ick - he shouldn't be involved with this project. Short of his role in Zoolander, I haven't liked him in anything he's made.

BOTH choices have definite perks. I'd love to see either of them. Now who would you cast as Aunt Clara and Uncle Arthur?

I almost talked about the other characters in my first post, but left it at just the leads. I think Joan Plowright would make a great Aunt Clara. And back when I first saw this poll, and he was alive, I thought Phil Hartman would have made a great Uncle Arthur. Or (again) Larry Tate. He could have gone either way. Now? (And I just saw a few of these choices being discussed on IMDB), I think Scott Thompson from "Kids in the Hall" would be perfect as Uncle Arthur. And maybe Steve Martin as Larry Tate? Or would he be too old or too big of a star to play him? And although this is pipe dream, wouldn't Sean Connery be GREAT as Maurice? Would definitely bring the film some class. I can't remember who I picked for Dr. Bombay. But it's a British actor, and I'm drawing a blank. How about Edie McClure as Gladys Kravitz??
Old 10-20-03, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Scott Thompson - PERFECT!

Edie too!
Old 10-20-03, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I want more Will Ferrell!
Old 10-20-03, 01:48 PM
Banned

If Ferrell's in, Kidman should probably steer away from this.
Old 10-20-03, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 209 Likes on 161 Posts
Wonder if Nicole will pull double duty like Elizabeth Montgomery did and play Serena as well?
Old 10-20-03, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I miss Agnes Moorehead. Endora was the best character in that cast.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.