Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Indiana Jones Trilogy and "blind buy" discussions

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Indiana Jones Trilogy and "blind buy" discussions

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-03, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Indiana Jones Trilogy - good blind buy?

Oh yes, this is no joke. I saw the third installment when it came out in theatres MANY years ago and remember very little. Believe it or not, as a big big movie fan, I haven't seen more than 5 minute clips of ANY of these Indiana Jones movies in my 21 years.

Crazy, huh?

Anyways, I'm thinking of finally picking it up when it comes out this week. My question is am I guaranteed to enjoy this trilogy? What makes these movies so damn good?

Mock me all you want...I too can't believe I haven't seen these yet. Quite a disgrace (I'm told).
Old 10-19-03, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What a question?! You´ve got to be kidding! There is no question that this is a MUST BUY. This box-set will definitely make it onto all-time best selling DVD list over time. Mark my word!
Old 10-19-03, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
umm...Yes.
Old 10-19-03, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Probably.
Old 10-19-03, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Guaranteed? of course not.

but probably? yeah, probably.
Old 10-19-03, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The second and third movies are pretty good, but the first one is more than worth the price of admission.
Old 10-19-03, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

oh.. uh.. i mean.. yeah, i think they're pretty safe blind buys.

Raiders of the Lost Ark is the greatest adventure film ever! in my opinion, anyway.

Last edited by Grizzly; 10-19-03 at 07:48 PM.
Old 10-19-03, 07:59 PM

Originally posted by Grizzly

oh.. uh.. i mean.. yeah, i think they're pretty safe blind buys.

Raiders of the Lost Ark is the greatest adventure film ever! in my opinion, anyway.
I will second the assessment that Raiders of the Lost Ark is THE GREATEST action adventure movie of all time. The other two are ok. The third one gets annoying at times. It is more of a parody IMO then a sequel.
Old 10-19-03, 08:39 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Nobody's guaranteed to like anything. I'm know there are people who hate these movies on this very forum. However, chances are you'll love them like everybody else.
Old 10-19-03, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Indiana Jones Trilogy - good blind buy?

Originally posted by PJsig08
Believe it or not, as a big big movie fan, I haven't seen more than 5 minute clips of ANY of these Indiana Jones movies in my 21 years.
I have no problem with you not having seen the Indy movies. However you are NOT a big movie fan if you haven't seen all 3 of these films, in fact you are less than an average movie fan. "Fan" is short for fanatic, & it is simply IMPOSSIBLE to be fanatic about film, & not even seen the single greatest adventure movie every made. It just doesn't work that way. Plus, a "big movie fan" would not ever have to ask this question. I'm sure you dig movies, I'm not denying that, but one simply cannot be a "big movie fan" & not have seen perhaps one of the 10 most iconic movies ever created. It's like saying, "I'm a huge Yankee fan, but I've never actually seen a Yankee game before". Do you like movies, I'm sure, are you a "big movie fan", not even close.

Oh yeah, & to stay on topic. For an average person they would be perfect blind buys, but for you I'm honestly not sure.
Old 10-19-03, 10:45 PM

i saw the indiana jones set on the shelves but alas, it was code 3. coming from singapore, where our censorship board are over-zealous with their scissors, many dvds ended up being censored.

i do however recall vaguely from somewhere that steven spielberg refuses to let his films to be edited in any way (that is why we don't get Saving Private Ryan here for sale). so is it safe to assume the trilogy will be uncut in any territory? otherwise i may have to order them online, which will take weeks to reach me...
Old 10-19-03, 11:03 PM

did you enjoy star wars? if so.. then you will probably like indiana jones, but its a very different kind of movie.. (in a good way)

they are considered classics.. like people say about the godfather, and other oldies but goodies.

JACOB
Old 10-20-03, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Raiders of the Lost Ark is the greatest action-adventure movie of all time.

Yes, blindy buy this set.

Last edited by DavidH; 10-20-03 at 02:30 PM.
Old 10-20-03, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Treasure of the Sierra Madre is the greatest action adventure of all time.

Having said that, Indy is a definite blind buy.
Old 10-20-03, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by $lave
so is it safe to assume the trilogy will be uncut in any territory?
definitely not. the second film has been edited for dvd release in the UK Region 2. I have no idea what has been done in other regions though......
Old 10-20-03, 04:08 PM

Educate and enrich yourself young man... run, don't walk to your nearest DVD dealer and purchase this DVD.
You will be enlightened...
Old 10-20-03, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Forget Indiana Jones and rush out to by Kieslowski's Trois Couleurs trilogy. That will make you a TRUE movie fan.

Seriously, I'd pay $46 easily for Raiders of the Lost Ark alone on DVD. The sequels are garbage and easily skippable, though. YMMV.
Old 10-21-03, 05:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Matt Millheiser
Forget Indiana Jones and rush out to by Kieslowski's Trois Couleurs trilogy. That will make you a TRUE movie fan.
You cannot compare Kieslowskis´s Trois Couleurs to the Indiana Jones Trilogy in any way. It´s a good trilogy, yes. But please, don´t even think about comparing the two trilogies. They are two very different kinds of genre. Kieslowski´s trilogy isn´t exactly a rollercoaster ride or a popcorn flick.
Old 10-21-03, 06:56 AM

Originally posted by Hiro11
Treasure of the Sierra Madre is the greatest action adventure of all time.

I couldn't disagree more. Treasure of the Sierra Madre is a heck of a movie but I wouldn't call it an action adventure. It is more of a psychological thriller.
Old 10-21-03, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Originally posted by Dane
You cannot compare Kieslowskis´s Trois Couleurs to the Indiana Jones Trilogy in any way. It´s a good trilogy, yes. But please, don´t even think about comparing the two trilogies. They are two very different kinds of genre. Kieslowski´s trilogy isn´t exactly a rollercoaster ride or a popcorn flick.
I like you. You seem like a good kid. Have a muffin... go on... take one!
Old 10-21-03, 01:18 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow I thought I was seeing things when I saw this post. To answer your question, yes this would be a great blind buy.
Old 10-21-03, 01:36 PM

Dude, do you even have to ask??? "Gee, is one of the BIGGEST GROSSING MOVIES OF ALL TIME and one of the most eagerly anticipated DVD releases EVER worth buying on a blind buy?"

Needless to say, I think you will be safe spending your hard earned cash on the Indiana Jones Trilogy.
Old 10-21-03, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Matt Millheiser
I like you. You seem like a good kid. Have a muffin... go on... take one!
Thanks, but calling me a kid is nice compliment. But, I don´t mind taking that muffin anyway. If you buy the muffin, I´ll buy the coffee.... and then let´s us discuss the two trilogies. What do say?
Old 10-21-03, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Rogue588
umm...Yes.
You beat me to this.
Old 10-22-03, 11:46 AM
Suspended

Did anyone 'blind buy' Indy?

Speaking as someone who's seen Raiders at least a hundred times, the novelty of seeing those movies for the first time must be amazing. So the Big Money question is: now that you've seen it, what do you think?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.