Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

DVD resurfacing to remove scratches... good?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-03, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I bought my LOTR : EE DVD when it released, it had a problem, a bit of plastic inside the case was underneath the disc which caused a few scratches. I assume from bouncing in shipping, etc... I had always planned on returning it to exchange for a flawless copy, but never got around to it because the scratches never proved to be a problem when viewing from my old Apex player.
Today I watched this wonderful DVD again, but with my new and 'better' Pioneer DVD player. While viewing, I was annoyed by those digital squares popping up in three different instances. I can only assume they are from the scratches because I don't have this problem with any other DVD.
As you know, some time has passed since this came out, and I don't have my receipt anymore, and I kick myself for not taking care of it then, but now I need to either A. buy another one, or B. remove the scratches. However, I've heard some stories, always just hearsay though, on how resurfacing a DVD can cause it not to play anymore. I can get it done at a local store for about three dollars.
What are your thoughts on this subject? I'm a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to watching my DVDs and I want them to be perfect with no other distractions so I must get this fixed. It's not a BIG problem, just three small instances where the screen pops with digital squares, and they are repeatable, I played the scene again and it happened in the same spot.
It doesn't help this is one of my favorite DVDs.
Thanks.
Old 10-19-03, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try boiling or toothpaste:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hlight=Boiling

Old 10-19-03, 01:12 PM

It's not dirty... it's scratched.
I'm worried it may become unplayable if resurfaced.

EDIT: And does someone think or agree that the 'digital box popping' could be caused by the scratches?

Last edited by blindrocket; 10-19-03 at 01:15 PM.
Old 10-19-03, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Originally posted by blindrocket
It's not dirty... it's scratched.
I'm worried it may become unplayable if resurfaced.

EDIT: And does someone think or agree that the 'digital box popping' could be caused by the scratches?
I'm not saying that it is dirty.

You might want to read the threads to see what other people (besides myself) have said. After all, we're only trying to help.

This thread specifically mentions the same problems that you noted:

Old 10-19-03, 01:21 PM

Thanks for trying to help! I just didn't see how boiling can remove scratches. I've heard of it cleaning disks, but not removing scratches. I'm more interested in having it resurfaced anyway.

And since you are so helpful, any answers to my questions?

Old 10-19-03, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Did you read the threads or any of them?

A lot of either people have found their DVDs readable again after a mild boil. It also works on CD-ROM games as well.

I'm searching the toothpaste angle now.
Old 10-19-03, 01:31 PM

Yes, I read through most of them.
Old 10-19-03, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You can try a CD Doctor or DVD Doctor as well.
Old 10-19-03, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...ght=Toothpaste

It seems that the second, third and fourth threads here talk about toothpaste and car wax to correct scratched disks.

Sorry it took so long to get back to you blindrocket. I had to re-read these myself!
Old 10-19-03, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

From my perspective, it does seem that Ivory soap, boiling, car wax application or disc resurfacing can solve your problem.

From a cost perspective, I always advocate trying the home remedies first before paying someone to resurface your DVD. We sell the CD / DVD Doctor machines at Borders but I have not used them myself and cannot attest to their efficiency. I can tell you however that I did tell a customer about the boiling method rather than spending $30 on a DVD Doctor. Yes, I talked myself out of a sale but two weeks later she returned and let me know that her "unplayable" DVD now plays fine.
Old 10-19-03, 01:52 PM

Ok, thanks.
Old 10-19-03, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by blindrocket

Sounds like a laser mis-read which is called pixellation.
Old 10-19-03, 02:14 PM

It only happened today. And on the exact same scenes. I viewed the same scene repeatedly and it happened everytime in the same spot on the screen.
Old 10-19-03, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have a Pioneer 525 and that happened to me only once in the four years that I've had the player.

You could try a cold boot: power off machine and turn on again in 3 or 4 minutes.
Old 10-19-03, 02:23 PM

Ok thanks for the suggestion.
I have a Pioneer DV-260 which is still fairly new, a matter of a few months.
Old 10-19-03, 04:38 PM
Banned

Car wax works everytime. If it doesnt fix it then you need it resurfaced. I did it to a copy gamecube games and it fixed them to where they look perfectly new.
Old 10-19-03, 05:07 PM

How about trying Inetdvd's professional disc repair for $2.99. They can remove light or even deep scratches and claim the final results are invisible to the naked eye.

http://www.inetdvd.com/store/tmp_pro...03.asp?id=4899

Devices like the DVD doctore supposedly leave the disc more scratched up then they were before.
Old 10-20-03, 07:19 PM

RDODOLAK: Do you know that from someone who's actually used a DVD Doctor before, that it leaves it scratched more than before, or is it something you've heard around?

I'm trying to find something myself, and have been recommended to the Dvd Dr. but don't know anyone personally who's ever used it. I was only recommended by people in Best Buy. That's why I ask?

I used this stuff that they have on a web page for "Novus Polish". It says that they've been used on cd's for quite sometime now, and works great. I e-mailed the company and asked them about using it on dvd's, but they didn't give me a definate answer about dvd's, but said it worked great on cd's. So I figuered they're almost the same kind of thing, but actually, I don't know that for sure. So I have a place in my city where I went to pick up a couple of sample packets of the stuff. One was Novus Polish #1. Clean & Shine. Novus Polish #2 Light scratch remover, and Novus Polish #3 Heavy Scratch remover. Number one worked for shining it, and that was about it. But I didn't want it for shining it, I wanted a scratch remover. It actually made more scratches on my dvd. Matter of fact, there's probably not one single area on that dvd now that isn't scratched. They're minor surface scratches, but they're still scratches. Luckily the dvd still plays without a problem. But it didn't do the job I wanted it to do. I'm just happy I used one i really didn't care so much about.

So what I would like to know is if anyone has EVER had experience with this DVD Doctor before I consider buying one for myself? Or some sure fire home remedy to remove scratches? Nothing deep or that effects the play, but they're just annoying surface scratches. I take excellent care of all my dvd's that i buy new, but ones I've traded or bought used, there are a few I have that are scratched up that I would like to take care of.

Sorry for the rambling good people.
regards,
Giallofan
Old 10-20-03, 08:59 PM

I have experience with the skip doctor and it leaves the surface looking worse than it did before. If you are concerned about aesthetics of the disk surface then get it professionally done. However, if you want to repair minor damage that affects playback then use the skip doctor. The skip doctor will absolutely not make the surface look like new. It does work however.
Old 10-20-03, 09:13 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally posted by rdodolak
How about trying Inetdvd's professional disc repair for $2.99. They can remove light or even deep scratches and claim the final results are invisible to the naked eye.
I used them on a rare OOP DVD and they did a great job!

The insured shipping actually cost more than their polishing.
Old 10-20-03, 09:33 PM
Needs to provide a working email

On a similar note, has anyone tried DVD X Rescue, made by the company that makes DVD X Copy? It is supposed to be able to recover data from scratched disks.
Old 10-21-03, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by iove
I have experience with the skip doctor and it leaves the surface looking worse than it did before. If you are concerned about aesthetics of the disk surface then get it professionally done.
It's not that bad. I have used mine several times, mostly on CDs. When properly sanded, the disc looks like it has thousands of radial lines in it. But only if you look closely or at the proper angle for light to reflect the new scratching. It will also still show deeper scratches that weren't sanded out by the process. It does not look shiny and new, but it can certainly look better than a beat-to-death, scratch filled disc. (and, of course, it can play again if the process worked) If nothing else, you could say it has uniform scratches after sanding. Most people would never notice. (although "most people" are not DVD Talk members)

Discs that are badly (but not deeply) scratched and are unplayable can be brought back by the Skip Doctor. It won't fix every disc, but it can help, esp if you rent/borrow a lot. About a quarter of the CDs I borrow from the library need resurfacing in order to play all the tracks. DVDs seem to be better, probably just newer, or because keepcases have softer plastic than CD jewel cases.

Last edited by Spiky; 10-21-03 at 01:51 PM.
Old 10-21-03, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Giallofan
RDODOLAK: Do you know that from someone who's actually used a DVD Doctor before, that it leaves it scratched more than before, or is it something you've heard around?

I'm trying to find something myself, and have been recommended to the Dvd Dr. but don't know anyone personally who's ever used it. I was only recommended by people in Best Buy. That's why I ask?

I work at a video store, and I can say without a doubt that the Disc Dr. line of scratch removal devices hurts discs more than they fix them. I bought one just to try it, spent 3 hours trying to resurface a mildly scratched disc, and ended up with a coaster. it tends to resurface the discs almost, but not quite, up to the very edge, thus making the discs unplayable. Plus, we would have individuals try to fix discs(rather than simply trying to clean them or bring them back), and then they would get returned ruined. When you look at a disc dr disc, you can tell exactly what happened.

We have a pawn shop here that charges 3 bucks to resurface discs, and it is worth every penny. They have a professional resurfacer, and they guarantee thier work. Looks like a brand new disc when it's done. I'd recommend that route.

robyn
Old 10-22-03, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by puddytay
Car wax works everytime. If it doesnt fix it then you need it resurfaced. I did it to a copy gamecube games and it fixed them to where they look perfectly new.
Unfortunately, "car" and "wax" cannot be used as search terms, due to their sub-4-letter stature.

Can you provide some details (or a link) to usage of car wax? What type/brand of car wax? What do you buff it with? etc.

Thanks.
Old 10-22-03, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by flix1
Unfortunately, "car" and "wax" cannot be used as search terms, due to their sub-4-letter stature.
Throw a "*" at the end of 3-letter search terms. While your results end up a little wider than you might like, it, at least, gets you some results.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.