Community
Search

#1 DVD selling DVD for 2003: Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-03, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
#1 DVD selling DVD for 2003: Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

According to DVDfile.com, Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers has just become the #1 selling DVD for this year. Harry Potter was #1 before, but it is now #2 on the 2003 sales list.

Amazing that it in just 7 weeks it has risen to the top the of list and HP has been out for atleast 4 months.

http://www.dvdfile.com/news/sales_st...can/index.html
Old 10-18-03, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts
Give it a few weeks, and Matrix Reloaded will top that.
Old 10-18-03, 11:25 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah man, I hope so.
Old 10-18-03, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Does TTT Enhanced Version count as a totally different release/title? If so, then yeah, Matrix will beat it.
Old 10-18-03, 02:40 PM
Suspended

Don't count on Matrix Reloaded to hit the top spot.. as there are many that have decided to wait for the possible box set of the trilogy.. save your money now and save money on the box set. It all makes sense.
Old 10-18-03, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Coral
Give it a few weeks, and Matrix Reloaded will top that.
I do not think Reloaded will top TTT, there are too many people who were disappointed with Reloaded. I have yet to hear of one person who was truely disliked Towers.

I just rented Reloaded, but I had no problem buying TTT. Reloaded would not have been so bad if they would have cut the rave sceen, it was out of place in the movie.

**Yes they do count the 2 versions of TTT as different releases. And I will be buying both versions.**
Old 10-18-03, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Videobusiness.com reported that the Matrix Reloaded sold 4 Million DVDs its first day, half the number that The Matrix has sold in four years.
Old 10-18-03, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Finding Nemo will crush it. (no pun intended)
Old 10-18-03, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts
Originally posted by LBPound
Finding Nemo will crush it. (no pun intended)
Disney is salivating at the thought of how many units they will sell just on release day.
Old 10-18-03, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Looks like it's a fan boy fist fight. I'll await the "Kill Bill Vol 1 will run circles around these" and the "Well Star Wars will kill it!" not to forget the "wait till indiana comes out on tuesday!"

Old 10-18-03, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Gigli. That's where it's at.
Old 10-18-03, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Iron_Giant
I just rented Reloaded, but I had no problem buying TTT. Reloaded would not have been so bad if they would have cut the rave sceen, it was out of place in the movie.
Okay . . . I never got a response the last time that I posted this question, so I'll try again here . . .
Originally posted by . . . well . . . me
You know . . . although I did think that Reloaded was merely good (mostly because it is, truely, only half of a movie), I actually liked the rave scene. I thought it was a good representation of the humans getting to be human. It was a great example of freedom, self-expression, and playing outside of the rules. Something completely "anti-Matrix".

I haven't been paying attention to the posts against it. Why don't people like it?
I even tried doing a search for some comments, but searching for the word "Matrix" on this board is about as useful as searching for the word "DVD".
Old 10-18-03, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: #1 DVD selling DVD for 2003: Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

Originally posted by Iron_Giant
According to DVDfile.com, Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers has just become the #1 selling DVD for this year. Harry Potter was #1 before, but it is now #2 on the 2003 sales list.

Amazing that it in just 7 weeks it has risen to the top the of list and HP has been out for atleast 4 months.

http://www.dvdfile.com/news/sales_st...can/index.html
Hey great! I hope you own AOL Time Warner stock!
Old 10-18-03, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts
Looks like it's a fan boy fist fight.
hehe...

trust me, I'm not a fan of either the Matrix series of LOTR... I just think Matrix Reloaded will sell better.

As someone else mentioned, Finding Nemo probably has the best bet at selling the most DVDs this year.
Old 10-18-03, 07:08 PM

What no one betting Indiana Jones will beat it? Still I am sure at the end of the year Nemo will be the biggest seller. Its the biggest movie this year, its a family movie and that always helps. I know I will get it, and my daughter will watch it 1,000 times a day
Old 10-18-03, 07:26 PM

Originally posted by talemyn
Okay . . . I never got a response the last time that I posted this question, so I'll try again here . . . I even tried doing a search for some comments, but searching for the word "Matrix" on this board is about as useful as searching for the word "DVD".
I've heard it described as tacky and overlong. The film has pacing issues and stopping for a 10 minute dance sequence did not help things considering the audience was there for thrills and action. But my favourite comment read here goes something like, "why aren't you preparing for war instead of dancing around in a cave like idiots??" Classic.
Old 10-18-03, 07:43 PM

What all the rave scene naysayers don't understand is that in Revolutions there is a counter scene where the agents are preparing for war and they do a 10 minute pop and lock routine featuring the caterpillar, the worm, the windmill and yes, the robot...
and the real title will be "Matrix : Dance Dance Revolutions!"
Old 10-18-03, 07:44 PM

I don't think you should write off HP yet. While the series is far from my personal favorite, I think that as the Xmas season nears, you'll see a huge upsurge in sales as grandparents, aunts, and uncles by the latest Harry Potter as the sure-win gift for the kiddies.

I don't think the new Matrix has that big of a fan base. The first was a must-have as much for the DVD as for the movie itself. The new one has less going for it in my opinion. Of course, it may be that my opinion is influenced by my disappointment in the movie. However, I still think HP is a marketing monster that will be hard to beat in in the long run.

As for me, the Indiana Jones Trilogy is the one I've been waiting on the longest. Whoop!

-D
Old 10-18-03, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm surprised that Lion King hasn't overtaken it yet, even after a week. Wasn't Lion King the #1 selling VHS ever?
Old 10-18-03, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by landosystem
What all the rave scene naysayers don't understand is that in Revolutions there is a counter scene where the agents are preparing for war and they do a 10 minute pop and lock routine featuring the caterpillar, the worm, the windmill and yes, the robot...
quoted because it's comedy gold.
Old 10-18-03, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally posted by WildcatLH
I'm surprised that Lion King hasn't overtaken it yet, even after a week. Wasn't Lion King the #1 selling VHS ever?
yes, and I believe that the DVD sold a couple mil the first day. I wouldn't count this one out yet.

I wouldn't count on Indy making it to the top. It is a $50 set. I think it could be #1 if they released them individually.

My $$ is on Nemo or Lion King. I don't think TMR or TTT has the legs to make it through christmas. The disney movies always make great gifts for any audience.
Old 10-19-03, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by landosystem
and from a "cool new member" no less.
Old 10-19-03, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Two Towers scored bigger at the boxoffice, why would anyone assume that The Matrix Reloaded is easily going to beat it on DVD sells?
Old 10-19-03, 03:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by Joe Molotov
The Two Towers scored bigger at the boxoffice, why would anyone assume that The Matrix Reloaded is easily going to beat it on DVD sells?

Yeah, cause as we see with classic examples such as Austin Powers, the home video market means nothing and has to follow the same rules as theater box office draws...
Old 10-19-03, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Yeah, cause as we see with classic examples such as Austin Powers, the home video market means nothing and has to follow the same rules as theater box office draws...
That's nice, but it still doesn't answer my question of why anyone would just automatically assume that The Matrix Reloaded is destined for #1.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.