Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Star Trek V: Special Edition'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-03, 08:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Aaron Beierle's DVD review of Star Trek V: Special Edition at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=7923 and...

I thought he was way off on the video. There is "dirt" all over the print, and it has a very soft look to it...I'm guessing this may be the same transfer that was on the previous release (other than the fact that this one is anamorphic...I don't believe the first one was).

The extras are also much better (at least for Trek fans) than he lets on...but his description of them is pretty accurate.

Last edited by Spooky; 10-20-03 at 11:40 AM.
Old 10-20-03, 06:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would have to agree. The picture quality on this new release is dirty and shows it's age.
Old 10-20-03, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Since we're piling on , I'll take issue with the review of the content of the film. While one of the worst of the series, Sybok's search for God isn't the only story being told here. This film is as much about the personal journeys of Kirk, Spock, and McCoy as individuals and as friends, coming to terms with the choices they've made in their lives and the deep familial bond they've found with one another.

"I lost a brother once. I was lucky I got him back."
"I thought you said men like us don't have families."
"I was wrong."

I'm always quick to praise Aaron's reviews, and I don't necessarily disagree with 2.5 stars, but in this case I would have appreciated a bit more depth in the content portion of the review than what amounts to box cover summary followed by "that's pretty much it, really."

You still rule, Aaron!

das

P.S. It's "Yosemite"
Old 10-22-03, 05:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by das Monkey
Since we're piling on , I'll take issue with the review of the content of the film. While one of the worst of the series, Sybok's search for God isn't the only story being told here. This film is as much about the personal journeys of Kirk, Spock, and McCoy as individuals and as friends, coming to terms with the choices they've made in their lives and the deep familial bond they've found with one another.

"I lost a brother once. I was lucky I got him back."
"I thought you said men like us don't have families."
"I was wrong."

I'm always quick to praise Aaron's reviews, and I don't necessarily disagree with 2.5 stars, but in this case I would have appreciated a bit more depth in the content portion of the review than what amounts to box cover summary followed by "that's pretty much it, really."

You still rule, Aaron!

das

P.S. It's "Yosemite"

I couldn't agree more. That is why this is my personal favorite Trek sequel.
Old 11-06-03, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was really looking forward to this release. I'm in the camp that thinks this film gets a bum wrap. Yeah, its quite flawed, but it has some great moments, as have been mentioned already. I*d like to add, the Uhura dance. I laugh so hard every single time.

However, what a disgrace of a rerelease. Big thumbs down to Parmount on this one. I compaired the dirt to my non anamorphic release. Its identical. And I dont know what process they used to create the anamorphic transfer, but I find the overall look of the film to be muted and dark.

As a trek fan, I appreciate the fact that we don't have to wait until our eye site fails to get our movies on disc (sorry for your star wars fans), but expect that there is some better treatment of the film for a 2nd release.

I've been a bit disappointed in each of the rereleases.

Big thumbs up for the Motion Picture Restoration, but I think i've just about had it for my star trek purchases. I will get The Undiscovered country as it is by far the worst DVD release of the entire franchise. But if SEs come out for the next gen films, I think i'll pass. And if any one from Paramount is reading, the reason i'll pass is because of this pitiful 2nd attempt at the transfer for Star Trek 5. If you are not serious towards the fan base, I guess i'm not serious about spending my cash.

Note: That there is an anamorphic release of Generations in zone 2 so i have no need of a SE of that.

Jim
Old 11-06-03, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oh I have to add one more thing. When I "order" the films form favorite to least favorite, I general go in order with 1, 2, 3, 4 ranking "first" and in that order, and 5 and 6 flip floping. The reason..... I think ST TMP is a classic film. It sets the age theme for the rest of the franchise and though, it has its problems, it creates a mood that continues to work today. Kahn was a classic sequal and together with 3 and 4 form a series of films that is unmatched (well, maybe Lord of the Rings) in cinema.

I used to rate 3 the worst having hated it when it came out, but when I bought the DVD release I expected to watch it "just because", but i've really grown to appreciate this film. It contains many of my favorite scenes from the franchise. The meeting of Sarak and Kirk in Kirks appartment is a shining moment in the franchise.

Star Trek 4 I feel hasn't held up as well over the years, but its still a fun film. But, I get bored watching it these days, but can still sit through Kahn and Search for Spock over and over.

Which brings me to 5 and 6. I like star trek 5 better because of the real story line. This movie continues the tradition of movies 1 2 and 3, kirks struggle with getting older, and we learn new things about the characters.

Star trek 6, plays more like ST 4 and I feel it hasn't held up as well over the years, because it doesn't fully explore the topic of growing old.

What's extraordinary about the ST movie franchise is how consistantly the films dealt with this central theme, weaving it around the rest of the plot. I even extend this to the Next Gen movies. Generations dealt with picards realization that he has fewer days ahead than behind. Insurrection dealth with the depths one will take to remain young, and in Nemesis, we had the crew moving on. Picard was almost like the parent watching his kids grow up and leave home, and dealing with the loss, perhaps even a throw back to the loss of his nephew.

First Contact, plot holes aside, was a wonderful film and though not specifically dealing with the "age" thing, it did expand upon the depths of character already given to Picard, and it was just a real fun film.

So, its ST 4 and ST 6 that I feel deviated from these themes, and though they may have done well at the box office at the time, they have not held up for me in terms of interest.

Jim

Last edited by FaustBos; 11-06-03 at 03:42 PM.