Versus differences, what are they?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-03, 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i bought the r-rated not realizing there were multiple editions. a very rare occurrence in my case to buy a movie i haven't seen, but i do this occasionally for movies that will help me better my japanese on whatever level.
anyhow, it seems there is a total of one extra minute on the uncut version. just how much is that extra minute really worth, should i return this one and search for the unrated?
i don't care about the bonus stuff so forget the se.
thanks.
Old 10-17-03, 06:11 PM

Return the R-Rated edition right now.

It's not half the movie that the Unrated is.

The only ones worth buying are:

Versus - The Director's Cut

or Versus - Special Edition (which is the director's cut with a second disc).

Return the one you've got and get the Director's Cut.
Old 10-17-03, 11:21 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Gyno Rhino

Return the one you've got and get the Director's Cut.
I second that. I have the 2 Disk unrated version and the extras .. making of ... if you're into extras ... are worth it alone. It's comical listening to Sakaguchi and Sakaki float their own boats, but .. it's also interesting and somewhat insightful how this thing came together. The mini movie is a joke, but hey ... everyone has an opinion.

Haven't seen the R version and can't directly compare, but from what I hear, the 2 disk version is the way to go unless you're region free, then it's up to you. ....

Then again, you could pay more for the UK Reg 2 release, but it's lacking even compared to the unrated 2 disk Reg1 release. Go figure.

Lastly, the only thing that I could suggest is to not be compulsive with DVD shopping (not that I am suggesting that you are). Then again, may I should go on. Right. But, I've learned. I'll be region free end of year some time. Even still, I've saved myself a few here and there by checking out ratings and differences, important or otherwise .. online before choosing a disk (or two). Whenever I go into a store offline to browse, I always have a listing of availability. I've been spending too much on DVDs period and decided to go into most every buy with a plan. Stick to it, and you'll be satisfied. Do the same .... I highly recommend it. You figure, yeah, I can always sell it on eBay or somewhere, but ... heck with it .... do it right the first round and you will never be inconvenienced. Besides, if you're serious about your DVD selections and collection (which I am), you'l never go wrong, ya know what I mean .......... ?

Last edited by Rice Sniffer; 10-17-03 at 11:37 PM.
Old 10-18-03, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you like the extra material, get the special edition.
Old 10-18-03, 09:37 AM

SE versus

I just got the SE version and it's great! What also nice is that it now is a 2 disc case rather than the second disc being in an envelop loose in the case like I had heard about. One thing that I thought was kinda weird is that I thought the Cannes festival footage looked better than the same footage in the movie. Maybe the director decided to mute the colors some in the movie for effect.
Anyway I've spent $60 now on this film and I think I've finally got a copy that I can be happy with.
Old 10-18-03, 09:42 AM

Where did you get the 2-disc case? I've been looking for it.
Old 10-18-03, 09:44 AM

I ordered from DeepDiscountDvd
Old 10-19-03, 12:08 AM

alright. thanks for the word. back to the store with me and to hell with the man for consistently screwing me with multiple releases. appreciate the help guys.
Old 10-19-03, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I suggest you return the R rated version and Rent the unrated version. I didnt like the film much and i think that I should impose my views onto you via message board.