Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Questions About 2 Channel Stereo

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-03, 09:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All, I'm new hear and have a few questions. First of all my EXTREMELY modest system is a Nakamichi SR-4 stereo reciever, a pair od KEF C20 bookshelf speakers, Sony DVP 315 DVD player and a JVC 4:3 TV. The problems that I see with my system are, I need a bigger HD 16:9 TV and a reciever that I can adjust the volume by remote. Here are the questions.

1) Am I crazy to think that my system sounds awesome? If I didn't have to get up to adjust the volume during movies I wouldn't change audio at all.

2) In replacing components I want a NAD320BFE and a new set of KEF Cresta 20s. It is a similar quality Intergrated Amplifier and speakers. The other componets will stay upstairs as a stereo. Can a 5.1 setup be had for the same price and will it sound better? (about $800 CDN + tax)

3) On a disk with Dolby 5.1 or DTS, if it is run through a stereo reciever will it default to Dolby 2.0? If not what happens?
Old 10-17-03, 01:58 PM

1) You are not crazy but you only have stereo. If you haven't experienced good surround sound before, you will be amazed. Find a place where you can demo surround sound. All the big chains usually have a demo room.

2) $800CDN is about $500US? I have never heard a $500 set up. I believe there is an Onkyo system in that range that a few people like. Be weary of lesser HTIB systems in that price range though.

3) DVD players only pass stereo via RCA audio (Red and white connectors). For DD or DTS, you would have to use a coax or optical cable. DD is not always the default and DTS is never the default. If you want DTS, make sure your player has DTS pass through and your receiver can decode it.
Old 10-20-03, 07:10 AM

Originally posted by NikePenguin

3) DVD players only pass stereo via RCA audio (Red and white connectors). For DD or DTS, you would have to use a coax or optical cable. DD is not always the default and DTS is never the default. If you want DTS, make sure your player has DTS pass through and your receiver can decode it.
I don't think you understood this question. I never suggested that DTS would be the default. On some of my DVDs I can choose 5.1 or 2.0 and in this case if the DVD player is hooked to a two channel reciever the DVD player automatically defaults to the 2.0. I have some DVDs that only list DTS - that I have noticed. They sound fine in two channel but I was curious about exactly what I was hearing and if I was missing some of the soundtrack.
Old 10-20-03, 03:39 PM

Sorry, if my reply was confusing. You are hearing the Dolby 2.0 soundtrack. All dvds have a dolby 2.0 soundtrack.

If your dvd player is connected to your stereo receiver via RCA audio cables, you will get the Dolby 2.0 audio. You will not be listening to just the FL/FR audio of a DD or DTS soundtrack. Is that what you were wondering?
Old 10-21-03, 07:02 AM

Originally posted by NikePenguin
Sorry, if my reply was confusing. You are hearing the Dolby 2.0 soundtrack. All dvds have a dolby 2.0 soundtrack.

If your dvd player is connected to your stereo receiver via RCA audio cables, you will get the Dolby 2.0 audio. You will not be listening to just the FL/FR audio of a DD or DTS soundtrack. Is that what you were wondering?
Yes. Thankyou very much for your patience. I was worried that I might be missing some of the sound on DTS DVDs.