Reload this Page >

Halo PC (Singleplayer) What a Stinker.

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 10-17-03, 03:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did a search and couldn't find anything, so figured I'd give my say. We got the PC version of Halo in at work the other day and I got a chance to take it home and 'evaluate' it.
Going by the single player mission, I don't see why this was being touted as the Game as the Year for the PC. The overall design of the game is bad, the aliens look stupid, the indoor areas look boring, it runs like a slideshow on a computer that runs everything else fine, and it just 'feels' like I'm playing it on a console. Mouse response was horrible to the point where my wrist started aching after 5 minutes.
It's understandable that all PC games require after purchase patches and stuff but how long have they had to perfect this game?
Even if Microsoft hadn't intervened and Bungie made this for the PC when they meant to, it would still pale in comparison to the single player gameplay on the original Unreal and Half-Life. And they were released long before Halo even came out on the X-Box.
Did anyone else find the game dissapointing?
Old 10-17-03, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I didn't think Halo single player was that great. I have the PC version and it's really no better.

Multiplayer is great though. Try it out.
Old 10-17-03, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 378 Likes on 282 Posts
Halo is cool once you get into it. When I first got it, I was totally bummed that it was so hard to control the vehicles, and I kept dying, etc, etc. But now, since I have played it more and more, I can't put it down. Not to mention the vehicles are much easier to control now, and very fun to use. In fact, I'll probably run through it a second time before I finally get tired of it.

Of course I am talking about the Xbox version, mind you. I am assuming the PC version is exactly the same.
Old 10-17-03, 09:36 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm about 2 hrs into it for the pc, and have no complaints, really. Also, I like the fighting alongside other people parts, it draws you into it nicely. I will say, the game doesn't run as smooth as I would have thought though. I thought it was going to be flawless since the Xbox is so close to pc architecture (isn't it?)
Old 10-17-03, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
It's an old FPS and it feels dated for a reason. it was that great of a FPS anyhow. Just the fact that it was an fps for xbox brought it attention but along the lines of fps, it's nothing special really.
Old 10-17-03, 11:08 AM

I'd have to disagree w/ the most of you. I've played so many FPS from Wolfenstein 3D to Soldier of Fortune, and IMHO Halo is the best of the lot. Immersive story/atmosphere, great enemy AI, fun vehicles and weapons. Multiplayer is unmatched (although I have NOT played Battlefield 1942). Oh yeah the soundtrack is prob the second best I've heard in a video game (Soul Calibur is the best though). The only thing about this game that I do not like (and is shared by many reviewers of the game) is the repetitive level design in the latter parts of the game.
Old 10-17-03, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Marker
I'd have to disagree w/ the most of you. I've played so many FPS from Wolfenstein 3D to Soldier of Fortune, and IMHO Halo is the best of the lot. Immersive story/atmosphere, great enemy AI, fun vehicles and weapons. Multiplayer is unmatched (although I have NOT played Battlefield 1942). Oh yeah the soundtrack is prob the second best I've heard in a video game (Soul Calibur is the best though). The only thing about this game that I do not like (and is shared by many reviewers of the game) is the repetitive level design in the latter parts of the game.
Have you played half life? I'm just like you with FPS, I've played a ton and it's my favorite genre, but Halo is not the best on my list.
Old 10-17-03, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Halo is definitely overrated. Penny-arcade hit the nail on the head, so to speak.
Old 10-17-03, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
It's an old FPS and it feels dated for a reason. it was that great of a FPS anyhow. Just the fact that it was an fps for xbox brought it attention but along the lines of fps, it's nothing special really.
My sentiments exactly. I think if it was released solely on the PC two years ago you wouldn't hear about it nearly as much as you do because of the Xbox. It's a decent game, just nothing special. It wouldn't have been anything special 2 years ago either.

As for your issues, the mouse control seems fine to me. Driving controls are stupid. Game runs alright on my system but i have a Radeon 9700.
Old 10-17-03, 12:59 PM

Its a good game, not a apecial must have amazing game it is made out to be, its not that well made, the animation on the good guys and bad guys is crap, and looks very old. Wolvenstein looks better, and the weapons in HALO are not very good either, and you can only carry 2!!! the vehicles are good, but not that good.
I have a good gaming PC, and never once had any problemns with any game, but this PC HALO is badly made, it can be unplayable at times, indoor place I have to reset the Rezolution to wayy lower than I want to get the game running well, out doors seem to work perfectly! strange.

overall, a great game, flawed and bugged, but fun and overrated, still Unreal 2004 will be out soon, will Look far better, and play far better and have vehicles, so I got rid Of HALO today, and might pick it up when its a lot cheaper.
Old 10-17-03, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I was interested in the PC version of this game to finally get my hands on this game but it won't run on my PC . Well not so much not running as it stumbles then falls.
Old 10-17-03, 01:51 PM

it seems a simple game, and should run perfectly on simple machines, but its just not made well enuff

a patch may solve that, but get it right the 1st time!
Old 10-17-03, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It was great for its time,you all would probably think diffrent if it was released on PC a year or 2 ago,I think since its been out so long on Xbox and didnt do to much to the PC version made people a little upset or dissatisfied with the final result.

Why wouldnt they add some extra's to the PC version is beyond me,this could have been the greatest PC FPS if M$ wouldnt have stuck there big noses into the picture.
Old 10-17-03, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally posted by Romerojpg

a patch may solve that, but get it right the 1st time!
If you only played PC games that got it right the first time, you wouldn't play many PC games... unfortunately...
Old 10-17-03, 04:17 PM

Originally posted by mmconhea
Have you played half life? I'm just like you with FPS, I've played a ton and it's my favorite genre, but Halo is not the best on my list.
Yes, I have played Half-Life. Great game as well, but I have to admit I got bored of it half-way through (never finished it, same thing w/ Unreal). I logged many hours of Team Fortress Classic and Counter-Strike, though.

You know what? Scratch what I said about Halo being the best FPS. My fave is actually Shogo: Mobile Armor Division

MONOLITH! RELEASE A SEQUEL!
Old 10-17-03, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Romerojpg
Its a good game, not a apecial must have amazing game it is made out to be, its not that well made, the animation on the good guys and bad guys is crap, and looks very old. Wolvenstein looks better, and the weapons in HALO are not very good either, and you can only carry 2!!! the vehicles are good, but not that good.
I have a good gaming PC, and never once had any problemns with any game, but this PC HALO is badly made, it can be unplayable at times, indoor place I have to reset the Rezolution to wayy lower than I want to get the game running well, out doors seem to work perfectly! strange.

overall, a great game, flawed and bugged, but fun and overrated, still Unreal 2004 will be out soon, will Look far better, and play far better and have vehicles, so I got rid Of HALO today, and might pick it up when its a lot cheaper.
I disagree. I liked Wolfenstien, but Halo blows it out of the water. I also think Halo was much more fun then Half-Life, and I loved Half-Life. I don't see anything wrong with the animations.

The vehicles are the best part of the game, IMO. Shooting down an approaching Banshee with guns blazing is intense!

As for the 2 weapon carrying limit, all I can say is genius. I got tired of the FPS where you carried an armory in your shirt pocket. Allowing only 2 weapons at a time makes you think strategically, and conserve ammo a bit more.

Halo is as good as people say, and better.

Old 10-17-03, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by nickdawgy
I disagree. I liked Wolfenstien, but Halo blows it out of the water. I also think Halo was much more fun then Half-Life, and I loved Half-Life. I don't see anything wrong with the animations.

The vehicles are the best part of the game, IMO. Shooting down an approaching Banshee with guns blazing is intense!

As for the 2 weapon carrying limit, all I can say is genius. I got tired of the FPS where you carried an armory in your shirt pocket. Allowing only 2 weapons at a time makes you think strategically, and conserve ammo a bit more.

Halo is as good as people say, and better.

Listen to this guy. He is making all kinds of sense. Halo is a great game. Keep'm coming.
Old 10-17-03, 10:16 PM

nickdawgy, you are right on the money.
Old 10-17-03, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,032 Likes on 4,117 Posts
I dunno how it plays on a PC, but it's a very fine FPS on the Xbox in my humble opinion. I'm not sure how much room for improvement the genre has left. They all feel a little artifical and too similar tp me. I tend to get bored with them after a few levels. Maybe XIII can shake things up a bit; at least it looks different...
Old 10-18-03, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
you havent played HL2 then..
Old 10-18-03, 02:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Another thing about Halo is it kept me interested. Once Half-Life got to the alien world, I was like "OK, this is boring now"

It's the little things that make Halo great. Throwing a plasma grenade at someone and watching them run around, knowing they'll be dead shortly is a blast. Plus, the chain reaction explosions from the grenades where the bodies go flying, and of course running out of ammo and having to pistol whip an alien for his rifle.....

I should go play right now
Old 10-18-03, 05:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Dunno about you guys, but the Halo multiplayer experience doesn't come ANYWHERE close to multiplayer CTF/RA Q2. In my opinion few multiplayer games have. Quad damage, invincibility, runes, grapple hook, rail guns, rockets galore, and raining grenades from a launcher. I realize it's a different style of FPS, but for frenetic fast paced action, Halo doesn't even come into the ballpark. And yes, strategy is most definitely required. Esp for 16 vs 16 CTF. Unfortunately, Q3's CTF didn't really live up to its predecessor. Not sure what it was, but I just never got into it like I did Q2. I LIKE Halo. But I LOVED Q2. I'm anxiously awaiting Doom 3's CTF.

Also with, kb and mouse, you have the instant-speed-of-thought responsiveness that you do NOT get with Halo. When I know someones shooting at me from behind, it's frustrating as hell when I have to use a joystick to take 2 seconds to turn around.

Last edited by hahn; 10-18-03 at 05:14 AM.
Old 10-18-03, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by nickdawgy
It's the little things that make Halo great. Throwing a plasma grenade at someone and watching them run around, knowing they'll be dead shortly is a blast. Plus, the chain reaction explosions from the grenades where the bodies go flying, and of course running out of ammo and having to pistol whip an alien for his rifle.....

I should go play right now
I might be part of a very few that thinks this but the new game Freedom Fighters on all platforms has these little touches as well. IMO it performs better than Halo on the PC and is much easier to enjoy. You have the 2 main weapon limit (frustrating at times but it's more realistic. Enemies runs away when you lob a grenade at them. Bodies fly all over the place when an explosion goes off. Pistol whipping at close range is a last resort option as well.

Don't know what it was, I just didn't like the cliched alien world theme of Halo. It borrowed too much from Unreal and Half-Life and IMO didn't better anything.

And I'll repeat what Jackskeleton said to Decker.
Check out the Half-Life 2 videos on the net. It'll open your eyes and have you drooling.
Old 10-18-03, 07:39 PM

Your timing is bad. Freedom Fighters and HL2 are coming out over a year after Halo. To note that they have the same or better features is meaningless. The fact that it's hitting PC just now doesn't change the fact that it's still an older game.

Also, since when does a game have to be better than all classics of the genre to rate a mention? It just has to be good. It's a very well done game. I think the Halo experience was far better than Unreal and it succeeded at sustaining a truly bad-ass macho flavour that few games have been able to do.
Old 10-19-03, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I might check out Freedom Fighters. How is the replay value on it?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.