Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Disney's Davy Crockett question

Old 10-16-03, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why does the poster artwork included on the Treasures set say “color by Technicolor widescreen” ?? Weren’t they all produced for TV and are 1:33:1 OAR???? Can anyone clarify this?? Thanks.
Old 10-16-03, 11:05 PM

Actually I think they were Orginally Shot as movies (3? I think) & then re-edited & put into the Hour long TV show format......Shot at 1.37:1 according to IMDB ...I haven't watched the set in a while but I think theres a Doc that tells about this ..Very enjoyable series I remember anyway ..Have to watch it again soon

Edit: Actually after a little checking it was Originally on Tv (Multiple parts) then put together for a run in Theatres

Last edited by Ttiberius; 10-16-03 at 11:15 PM.
Old 10-17-03, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Ttiberius
Actually I think they were Orginally Shot as movies (3? I think) & then re-edited & put into the Hour long TV show format......Shot at 1.37:1 according to IMDB ...I haven't watched the set in a while but I think theres a Doc that tells about this ..Very enjoyable series I remember anyway ..Have to watch it again soon

Edit: Actually after a little checking it was Originally on Tv (Multiple parts) then put together for a run in Theatres
so what was with the "widescreen" bit? It was matted for theaters?
Old 10-17-03, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"...It was matted for theaters?"

Yes.

. . . . . .
Old 10-17-03, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Weird that way back then they publicly advertised “widescreen” in a positive way (in conjunction with “color”). And on top of that CROPPED matted widescreen.

Today widescreen is never advertised in a positive way, even in 2.35:1 OAR! If anything they advertise cropped “full screen” positively.

Strange

But good thing they didn't censor Davy Crockett (back when it was released Disney was on a censoring rampage)
Old 10-17-03, 04:14 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just to clarify for everyone.

Davy Crockett was originally part of the Disney tv show called "Disneyland". Three 1 hour (really 44 minutes) episodes were originally created. The first three episodes ran in the winter of 1954/55. Although filmed in color these episodes were only seen by tv audiences of the time in black and white. The three episodes were then edited together into a feature film and released in full color (and matted to 1.85 "widescreen) in the summer of 1955. The poster that's included in the set is a reproduction of the poster for this theatrical release.

Two more episodes were subsiquently made, Davy Crockett and the Keel Boat Race and Davy Crockett and the River Pirates. I believe they were also cut together into a a feature and released (I'm not 100% on that.)
Old 10-17-03, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Pants
Just to clarify for everyone.

Davy Crockett was originally part of the Disney tv show called "Disneyland". Three 1 hour (really 44 minutes) episodes were originally created. The first three episodes ran in the winter of 1954/55. Although filmed in color these episodes were only seen by tv audiences of the time in black and white. The three episodes were then edited together into a feature film and released in full color (and matted to 1.85 "widescreen) in the summer of 1955. The poster that's included in the set is a reproduction of the poster for this theatrical release.

Two more episodes were subsiquently made, Davy Crockett and the Keel Boat Race and Davy Crockett and the River Pirates. I believe they were also cut together into a a feature and released (I'm not 100% on that.)
Funny how Georgia Russell clearly died in the Alamo but he appears in the next two eps!

So since you know a lot about this, how come certain scenes are B&W on DVD? Did they make a mistake filming it or is it a mistake on the DVD?
Old 10-17-03, 05:19 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Class316
Funny how Georgia Russell clearly died in the Alamo but he appears in the next two eps!

So since you know a lot about this, how come certain scenes are B&W on DVD? Did they make a mistake filming it or is it a mistake on the DVD?
Well Davy Crockett died at the Alamo too

Acording to Walt Disney's introduction the last too episodes are episodes based on his life before the Alamo. Their "flashback" episodes.

There's only one shot in true black and white. During DC Keel Boat Race there's a cutaway shot of a church bell ringing that's B&W. Since this is a cutaway it was probably a piece of stock footage that was only avialable in B&W. The other spots of the series that lack color are entirely due to bad elements having faded over time. I imagine some elements faded more than others due to a significant amounts of the shows being cut into the feature film, but other parts being left out. In order to present the 5 original episodes on the DVD they had to splice together elements from different versions.

Does that make sense?

Last edited by Pants; 10-17-03 at 05:28 PM.
Old 10-17-03, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

yea but they never actually showed getting killed.
Old 10-18-03, 05:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 101 Likes on 63 Posts
Holy Crap, I never even realized that Davy Crockett has been released, thanks for letting me know. I just ordered it from DVD Empire - one of the few places which has it.

Thanks again!
Old 10-18-03, 10:51 AM
Banned

yea but they never actually showed getting killed.
You are aware that there really was a Davy Crockett and he really did die at the Alamo, right?

So what if they didn't show it, it's an historical fact.
Old 10-18-03, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You are aware that there really was a Davy Crockett and he really did die at the Alamo, right?

So what if they didn't show it, it's an historical fact.
I know but I'm thinking with respect to the Disney ones. He was never shown dead or anything. So any idea why some scenes are B&W?
Old 10-18-03, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I know but I'm thinking with respect to the Disney ones. He was never shown dead or anything. So any idea why some scenes are B&W?
They should have filmed the scene!! Since they didn't and it's an historical fact that Davy Crocket was killed at the Alamo, this amounts to nothing less than CENSORSHIP!! You should NOT have this dvd in your library, you or anyone else! We should all write Disney nasty letters and vilify them in the forum until they right this wrong, and film the scene today, and splice it in with the footage. Then they should send all of us who have the dvd one of the new and improved ones. Damn Disney!!

BOYCOTT DISNEY'S BUTCHERED DAVY CROCKET!!!!!
Old 10-18-03, 01:05 PM
Banned

So any idea why some scenes are B&W?
I already answered this above.

Here's Savant's review http://www.dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/s389davy.html
Old 10-18-03, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I already answered this above.