Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

a question about multi region players and surround sound systems.

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 10-16-03, 08:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a question that might sound simple but I'm about ready to buy a multi-region player ( probably the toshiba 3900) and am debating whether to hook it up to my surround sound or just the TV in the bedroom. With all the talk about the conversion from NSTC to PAL In genral, is there any problems in the conversions, difference or delays, with the audio?? How about with the Toshiba (3900) itself and playing other region discs ( I want to get the UK version of "Ed Wood" and I know its in 5.1.
Thanks
Old 10-16-03, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Some people think they can hear a speed up in PAL audio, other people don't. I think most people don't. It's up to your ears, really, and maybe your surround system. I'd definitely try it. No delays or anything like that.

I've got a 3900 also. Ed sounds really good in 5.1, and my R2 28 Days Later has a great 5.1 mix on it. I wouldn't think of listening to my R2 discs through the TV speakers anymore than I would by R1 discs.
Old 10-17-03, 08:23 PM

Thanks Renaldow!
I have actually, read several of your previous posts regarding the 3900 and they were part of the reason for selecting it. I also agree I would prefer a DVD player to be hooked up to surround sound system. However on my "non-profit" salary( I work in the mental health field) getting a set-up in the bedroom is a alittle ways away. I am lucky to have a decent one in the living room and will be looking forward to hooking up the 3900 to it, hopefully before the end of the year..Thanks again!