Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Good Howard Hawks dvd's?

Good Howard Hawks dvd's?

Old 10-16-03, 04:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good Howard Hawks dvd's?

I'm wondering what editions of Howard Hawks movies are any good, mostly in terms of extras. Also any boxsets available?
Old 10-16-03, 05:00 PM

I don't know of any box sets, but it would be great if they did one akin to the Billy Wilder one.

The Big Sleep contains 2 versions of the film and a documentary on both of them, which is pretty cool.

His Girl Friday and Only Angels Have Wings under the Columbia Classics label are good, Friday has a commentary and featurettes, though Angels is pretty skimpy. Those are the only ones I know about, I think most releases are pretty light on extras though.
Old 10-16-03, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To Have and Have Not is coming out on November 4 but I haven't seen a review of it yet.

The Thing from another World looks to be pretty bare bones from the review I read.

I'd love a SE disk of Bringing up Baby but I haven't heard of any plans to rerelease it.

Sounds pretty slim on supplements.
Old 10-16-03, 06:23 PM

I'm a HUGE Howard Hawks fan. This would be my list (in order of priority):

His Girl Friday (1940/Columbia TriStar)--Cary Grant & Rosalind Russell. Perhaps the greatest comedy ever made. [Loaded SE]
To Have and Have Not (1944/Warner)--Bogey & Bacall's first pairing. Being released 11/4/03 [barebones??]
Rio Bravo (1959/Warner)--Western with John Wayne, Dean Martin, & Ricky Nelson (!) [barebones]
Red River (1948/MGM/UA)--Western with John Wayne & Montgomery Clift [barebones]
Only Angels Have Wings (1939/Columbia TriStar)--an overlooked drama with Cary Grant & Jean Arthur [barebones]
The Big Sleep (1946/Warner)--Bogey & Bacall Part II [so-so docu included]

Still MIA:

Bringing Up Baby (1938/Warner)--Grant & Hepburn. The definitive screwball comedy. Likely due in 2004.
Twentieth Century (1934/Columbia TriStar)--Lombard & Barrymore. I'm dying to have this on DVD.
Scarface (1932/Universal)--I refuse to buy the $60 Scarface: Deluxe Gift Set just to own this much superior film; I'll hold out for the separate release it deserves.

Others (some people love these films--they're just not my cup of tea):

Gentlemen Prefer Blondes (1953/Fox)--Marilyn Monroe & Jane Russell musical [barebones]
I Was a Male War Bride (1949/Fox)--Cary Grant in a dress. Yeccch. [to be released 1/6/04; barebones??]
The Thing from Another World (1951/Warner)--sci-fi co-directed with Christian Nyby [barebones]

Last edited by FilmFanSea; 10-16-03 at 06:35 PM.
Old 10-16-03, 10:58 PM
Cool New Member

Film Fan Sea, you left out Rio Bravo's evil-twin El Dorado (John Wayne, Robert Mitchum, and James Caan), and the OOP Ball of Fire.
Old 10-17-03, 02:26 AM

Thanks, ClaviusB--mine was a pretty selective list, but with a career like Hawks', I was bound to leave out a lot of good films.
Old 10-17-03, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In my opinion, El Dorado is a superior film to Rio Bravo. Better story line, better acting, and a tighter run time all add up to being more enjoyable to watch.

Although, his third try at a remake (Rio Lobo) did not turn out anyway near as good as the first 2 films....
Old 10-18-03, 08:20 AM

To answer FilmFanSea, I Was a Male War Bride will be one of Fox's Studio Classics releases, so it should have some decent bonus features. And I disagree with your assessment -- it's a very funny movie.

On the other hand, I fully agree about Twentieth Century. It's one of the funniest comedies ever filmed, and a crime that it's still MIA on dvd (WHY???). My poor old VHS copy is about worn out.
Old 10-18-03, 11:03 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You've all forgotten Hatari! Great movie. Great transfer.