Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Since the original was so bad...Sixteen Candles sequel on the way.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-03, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Joan Cusack was on Good Day Live earlier. During the interview, Jillian commented that she was good in it. Joan told her they're remaking it. Jillian said the same thing i'm sure will be said here..

They shouldn't touch those John Hughes movies..
Old 10-16-03, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
I don't think it's the remake.. they are doing a 32 candles, tho.

Yahoo! News - "Sixteen Candles," 16 Years Later
Tue Oct 14,10:40 AM ET
By Sarah Hall

Sixteen Candles has been granted a birthday wish--a sequel.

Pull out the yearbooks, throw on the varsity letter jackets--it's high school reunion time for the gang from the 1984 John Hughes comedy.

32 Candles will update the lives of Sam Baker, Farmer Ted, Long Duk Dong and the rest of the gang.

"Our goal is to pay homage to as many of the original characters as possible," David A. Newman, one of the writers chosen to pen the update, tells Variety. "Who wouldn't want to write this?"

The original film was based around Samantha Baker's (Molly Ringwald) 16th birthday, a day that went unobserved by her family. The made-for-television special will pick up the story around Sam's 32nd birthday.

Keith Merryman, the other writer on the project, called Sixteen Candles "a film that anyone who's Gen X on down has seen a hundred times. It's like a comfort film."

So far, no word on whether the original cast will be approached for the sequel. Ringwald's manager had no comment on the project.

The special lies in the hands of USA Network. Anthony Michael Hall, Sam's nerdy admirer, Ted, in the first flick, has current ties with the network--he stars in their series The Dead Zone.

The original film also featured John Cusack, Joan Cusack and Edward Andrews.

Buffy Shutt and Kathy Jones, producers of the 2002 surf-pop flick Blue Crush, will shoulder the responsibility of producing 32 Candles, along with Ken Holden.

It's not a task they take lightly. "We're all so concerned about getting it right, because it's such a beloved property," Jones tells Variety.
Old 10-16-03, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought I read that they making a sequel called 32 Candles, which followed up the lives of characters from the first flick...perhaps they're doing both? (link found at Fark.com)

www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,1,12698,00.html
Old 10-16-03, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Damn you devilshalo!

You beat me to it...and all because I was trying to copy a link and had a pop up window stick a new link address in there on me! Bloody black-balling bastards!
Old 10-16-03, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
whatever.

it's still a BAD idea.

ah...but, what do I know..they're still making Home Alone flicks..
Old 10-16-03, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by harpo787
Damn you devilshalo!

You beat me to it...and all because I was trying to copy a link and had a pop up window stick a new link address in there on me! Bloody black-balling bastards!
I remembered it cuz a friend sent that link to me yesterday.

Personally, I think a follow-up to Breakfast Club would be much better, though I guess it would just be a rehash of About Last Night.
Old 10-16-03, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Made-for-TV = Good
Old 10-16-03, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

32 Candles: Revenge of the Dong!
Old 10-16-03, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Without the original cast, it's a big waste of time. Still, I would rather have it left alone. There's no need for a remake or a continuation. The movie was about teenage angst, 80's style. They aren't teenagers, and this isn't the 80's, so what's the point?

Honk!
Old 10-16-03, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

No, John Hughes' movies hold a tender spot for those who grew with them in the 80's - leave them alone!
Old 10-16-03, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah without Hughes working on it, what is the point? As far as getting back the original cast, I know for DAMN sure they won't be able to afford John "Bryce" Cusack's paycheck, and I believe Michael Schoeffling basically retired after Mermaids to make hand-crafted furniture or something.
Old 06-06-05, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ringwald Mulls 'Sixteen Candles' Sequel

LOS ANGELES - Could it be time to put more candles on the cake? Molly Ringwald said she's in discussions to make a sequel to "Sixteen Candles," the 1984 movie about the obstacles and embarrassments a teen girl faces on her birthday.

The film, directed by John Hughes, shot Ringwald to teen stardom, but she hasn't appeared in a major role in many years. She said she's been appearing in theater, small TV and film parts and raising a daughter, now 18 months old.

Ringwald, 37, said she had been approached repeatedly about doing a sequel, but recently read a script that she liked and wanted to star in the movie.

"I've turned it down for years. I couldn't see how it would work," she said. "Now, it seems right."

Ringwald was reunited at the MTV Movie Awards on Saturday with Anthony Michael Hall, Ally Sheedy and Paul Gleason, three of her co-stars in 1985's "The Breakfast Club," directed by John Hughes.

Judd Nelson and Emilio Estevez didn't show.

"They're in Africa with Dave Chappelle," Hall joked.
Old 06-06-05, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by devilshalo
"I've turned it down for years. I couldn't see how it would work," she said. "Now, I need the money."
Fixed.
Old 06-06-05, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Numanoid
Fixed.
Haha, beat me to it. I read that sentence, and skipped over the rest of the article to see if anybody had already made that post.

-JP
Old 06-06-05, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts
This is one of those times I wished I was rich... I'd pay her NOT to do a sequel.
Old 06-06-05, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Even if they go ahead and make this, you can just do what I do. Pretend it doesn't exist. People still insist that there is a movie called Speed 2.

K
Old 06-06-05, 08:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rogue588
“In a world that has kept continuity…A thirty two year old man inherits a home by the most inauspicious means. [shaky close-ups of parents and siblings, cowering, imploring and screaming] “Now, trapped in a dwelling that seems to shrink with every second that his body grows. [A hand reaches the highest cupboard; feet planted firmly on the ground with no stepladder] “But, left alone he must deal with a third set of strangers.” [SWAT teams deploy into tactical positions as helicopters lumber into frame.]
“Alone again, Kevin has to take out the trash!” [32 year old Kevin drops a bulky Hefty bag and bloody hacksaw. Hilarious antics ensue, involving blunt trauma, fire traps, sling traps, battery acid traps and night vision circumvention.]
“Kevin didn’t count on this, but he was ready from birth!”
[Thirty two year old man, with palms to cheeks (blood spattered) screams defiantly as SWAT troops dragging wounded try to evac. Helicopter pilots, in panic, take off with people still dangling from the skids.]

FLASH TITLE AND CREDITS

“November …2006”
Old 06-06-05, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 160 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by Rogue588
whatever.

it's still a BAD idea.

yeah what's next, The Lunch Club or The Dinner Club?
Old 06-06-05, 10:45 PM
Suspended

THE DONGER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any movie with The Donger I am there!!!

What's happening, hot stuff?
Old 06-07-05, 09:50 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
What the hell has Molly Ringwald been doing for the past 15 years? The last time I saw her was in 'Not another Teen Movie'...for 30 seconds.
Old 06-07-05, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Donger! Donger! Donger!
Old 06-07-05, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

While any reason to re-visit the "Donger" is indeed a good, no, great I dea, I would rather re-watch the original with my joys intact than see all these actors in present day, attempting re-create the "Magic". Their gonna do this anyway but, It sure looks like it's gonna be bad.
Old 06-07-05, 11:03 AM

Did the OP say "made for television"? Excuse me while I faint.
Old 06-07-05, 11:27 AM

"Dong, where is Granpa's automobile"??????

"AUTOMOBILE"?!?!?!!?!??!?!

"Lake, big lake"

"No more yanky my wanky, the donger need food"!!!!!!!
Old 06-07-05, 11:44 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
The return of Michael Schoeffling! Maybe that recluse will have to come out of the Pennsylvania woods finally (see IMDb boards).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.