Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Is there a way to check the speed of my RAM memory?

FiveO
10-16-03, 08:05 AM
Excuse the questions based on inexperience :)

I'd like to add some RAM. I currently have 512 mb's and would like to go up to 1024. One of the games I'm playing is a memory hog.

I just had my previous Dell replaced with a refurbished one from DELL after a mountain of problems over the last 6 months. I'm going to open the computer up this evening but was curious about a couple things.

I have 1 stick of 512mb. I have another open slot...at least 1. Do I need to have the exact same type of RAM memory in both slots or can I mismatch.

Is there a way to tell the type of RAM without pulling it out of the slot?

Its a 2.6 ghz P4 Dell Dimension 8300 (refurbished)
Running XP Home

Thanks in advance.

D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
10-16-03, 01:12 PM
dell memory is usually marked on the chip itself. www.crucial.com will tell you what ram is compatible with your machine, and will probably be the same stick, as both dell and crucial use micron ram. be careful if you buy it from other places, as some dells are very picky as to what ram they'll accept.

FiveO
10-16-03, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by D.Pham00
dell memory is usually marked on the chip itself. www.crucial.com will tell you what ram is compatible with your machine, and will probably be the same stick, as both dell and crucial use micron ram. be careful if you buy it from other places, as some dells are very picky as to what ram they'll accept.

Thanks....just read that in another thread.

I'll check crucial this evening. Appreciate the info.

CaptStormy
10-17-03, 10:31 AM
Look at the program called Sandra. Nifty utility that will give more information regarding your PC that you have ever cared to know.

FuzzyBallz
10-17-03, 04:14 PM
Google for CPU-Z. Version 1.18 is the most stable. 1.19's kinda buggy. It'll tell you everything you need to know about your processor, RAM, mobo w/o installing some 40MB junk, ie Sandra, on your system.

tlwizard
10-17-03, 06:29 PM
do either of these programs tell you the efficiency of your ram or if it's working properly?

i just upgraded from 640mb to a max of 768mb, but i feel like my computer is running slower of all things. my computer is recognizing the new memory, but things still seem more sluggish. thanks.

FuzzyBallz
10-17-03, 10:57 PM
Well, did you buy matching RAM or whatever's on sale at Office Depot? You have to realize to maximize RAM performance, you need to buy the exact same brand and speed of RAM that's already running on your system. Or at least the same speed. With 768MB, you can turn off virtual memory to eliminate file swapping, which does speed the system.

Sandra does give you readings on RAM performance.

D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
10-18-03, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by TLwizard
do either of these programs tell you the efficiency of your ram or if it's working properly?

i just upgraded from 640mb to a max of 768mb, but i feel like my computer is running slower of all things. my computer is recognizing the new memory, but things still seem more sluggish. thanks.

what are the specs of your computer? what kind of ram do you currently have, and what was the new ram that you got? if you install more than one stick of ram, the ram will operate at the speed of the slowest stick, so if the new stick you got is slower than your current ram, it'll slow down your computer.

tlwizard
10-18-03, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by D.Pham00
what are the specs of your computer? what kind of ram do you currently have, and what was the new ram that you got? if you install more than one stick of ram, the ram will operate at the speed of the slowest stick, so if the new stick you got is slower than your current ram, it'll slow down your computer.

i've got a p3 1ghz. the computer's from around 99 so ram at that time was pc100. all my ram is pc100. i updated two new sticks of ram 2 years ago, but I couldn't find those same sticks anymore. pc100 is a lot harder to find now, so I had to opt for pny pc100 ram which was indeed on sale from office depot. all three slots are filled with 256mb pc100 ram.

i did turn off virtual memory and that has sped things up a bit. it's now at the point where i've used my computer with the new ram for so long (a month now) that I don't remember the comparitive speed edge before the new ram.

i do a lot of video editing so I've been upgrading this computer cheaply bit by bit (ram, cpu, hard drive, next up video card) before moving to a new system at the beginning of next year for my new avid pro... so any other memory optimizations would be appreciated.

D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
10-19-03, 01:42 AM
SDRAM is very slow compared to the new dual channel DDR. especially for video editing, a newer computer would really help out.

but for now, what i can say is to make sure that the speed timing is optimized. try to go to your bios and set the timings as low as possible. if you mix and match, you'll be stuck with the speed timings of the slowest chip. also, pc133 or 150 should work fine, but it'll just run at 100mhz if that's all that your mobo supports.