Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Mockumentaries - Best In Show etc.. - getting tired?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-03, 03:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As much as I love Christopher Guest, I have to ask, is he capable of directing an actual narrative driven film? Isn't he tired of the whole Mockumentary style of filmmaking? I think he is very talented and I love Spinal Tap (I know, that was Rob Reiner) Best in Show, Waiting for Guffman and A Mighty Wind. I don't know if I am getting tired of the whole Mockumentary thing, or just tired of it from the same people all the time. Is this just a style that should be considered his trademark, even though it is a style used by many.

Not sure how much of a point I have in this thread, other than to see if anyone else feels the same way I do.

I would really like to see Christopher Guest direct a non - Mockumentary. Has he done one in the past that I am not aware of?
Old 10-16-03, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I think as long as he keeps the ideas coming and the stories fresh he can do one every couple of years for another decade.

A Mighty Wind was more of a documentary than Best in Show, for example.
Old 10-16-03, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Mockumentaries - Best In Show etc.. - getting tired?

Originally posted by rushmore223
I would really like to see Christopher Guest direct a non - Mockumentary. Has he done one in the past that I am not aware of?
Yep, The Big Picture (with Kevin Bacon and Martin Short) which is quite good, as well as a couple other films which I haven't seen.
Old 10-16-03, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Like The Bus said, as long as he keeps pumping out quality films I will still watch them. If he gets to a point where he is basically just doing retreads of old material then I might say differently, but until then I will continue to enjoy them.
Old 10-16-03, 09:36 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Guest also directed that movie with Chris Farley and Matthew Perry. Almost Heroes I think it was.

When you look at all the movies that are released, Mockumentaries are a tiny drop in the bucket. Yet when one is released people say "How unoriginal...it's been done and it's tired." Yet, when a conventional linear comedy is released...one of THOUSANDS...not a peep. I don't get it.
Old 10-16-03, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i love his style! as long as they continue to be fresh and hilarious (which they always are) i'll still line up to see them!
Old 10-16-03, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
getting tired? Nope.
Old 10-16-03, 10:21 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Groucho
Guest also directed that movie with Chris Farley and Matthew Perry. Almost Heroes I think it was.

When you look at all the movies that are released, Mockumentaries are a tiny drop in the bucket. Yet when one is released people say "How unoriginal...it's been done and it's tired." Yet, when a conventional linear comedy is released...one of THOUSANDS...not a peep. I don't get it.
I think that's because you can still change a lot of stuff to make a comedy seem different while a mockumentary is pretty much what it is.
Old 10-16-03, 10:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think they're getting tired yet. I've said it a couple times already but I think the reason people didn't like AMW as well as BIS was not because of a poor performance on Guest's part. I just didn't think the SUBJECT was as funny. Obsessive dog owners are pretty darn funny. Folk music, yeah, but not as good.
Old 10-16-03, 10:40 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by lesterlong
I think that's because you can still change a lot of stuff to make a comedy seem different while a mockumentary is pretty much what it is.
That makes no sense. A mockumentary can be about a variety of different subjects and characters...just like a regular comedy.
Old 10-16-03, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Personally, I think Guest should broaden a bit.

Don't get me wrong, his stuff's funny. But it's not just him, it's the very talented recurring cast. I'd like to see them in a good narrative comedy.