Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

MSNBC Slams Matrix DVD

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-03, 12:13 PM
dgc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MSNBC Slams Matrix DVD

"In all, unless you’re positively freaky about the phenomenon that is “The Matrix” trilogy in the same way that George Lucas fans go ga-ga over the “Star Wars” stuff, then buy this. Otherwise, morph yourself into a state of denial and seclusion."

http://www.msnbc.com/news/979755.asp?0cv=CB20

You got to love some of these self proclaimed dvd reviewers. While they did make a good point regarding no commentary and mediocre special features, there was no mention of the disc's A/V quality.

Last edited by dgc; 10-14-03 at 12:21 PM.
Old 10-14-03, 12:16 PM
dgc

I guess I'm "positively freaky".
Old 10-14-03, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is amazing, in life when you are on the top, you always get slammed by others.

The Matrix II was ok, I will not be buying it, but will most likely buy the 3rd movie.
Old 10-14-03, 03:09 PM

"In all, unless you’re positively freaky about the phenomenon that is “The Matrix” trilogy in the same way that George Lucas fans go ga-ga over the “Star Wars” stuff, then buy this. Otherwise, morph yourself into a state of denial and seclusion."
I LOVE this quote...it shows you the kind of people that work at MSNBC. Read it again folks...what it actually says is that everyone who ISN'T "positively freaky" about The Matrix should buy the DVD! "Unless you're positively freaky"..."Then buy this!"

Nice job reviewer-boy.
Old 10-14-03, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

crap, i just wrote a long, pissed off message about why the reviewer is RIGHT ON and it didn't go through...

Anyway, Spooky, I think it reads right. To translate: ...if you're positively freaky about "The Matrix" like Luca$ fans are for "Star Wars", then this movie is up your alley. Otherwise, realize this movie is *CRAP*.

The MSNBC review has it *RIGHT ON*, in my opinion. And for Iron Giant, it's not that this movie is being slammed because it was "on top", but because it is a bad movie. The same way George Luca$' movies are crap, even though he's "on top" (with each new SW release). I put Matrix Reloaded barely a notch above the SW drivel.

There is no danger now, to anyone. Neo is invincible, and it turns out other characters are too, now. The pointless travel, the pointless rave scene, the pointless characters, no gunfights, no bullet-time, pointless fights with Agent Smiths (who just "happen by" every time we get to a slow part of the movie), the boring swordfights, the boring architect, the boring politician, boring love triangle, stupid coincidences (Tank is "related" to the new pilot - WTF???), the lame connections to the first movie (a kid just gives the bent spoon to Neo???) - I could go on and on and on.

Certainly, my expectation level was too high, but I thought the first movie was beyond *FANTASTIC*. But this new one is like Episode 1 to Episode 4 or Ep. 2 to Ep. 5: Horrible comparisons.

And dgc, ok, the reviewer didn't mention the a/v merits of the discs, the only defense I can muster is: consider the new buying audience for DVDs as opposed to 1998 or 1999. Most people buying today are looking for the version that don't have those black bars on the top and bottom.

I only defend the MSNBC article because this guy (IMNSHO) hit the nail *right* *on* *the* *head*.
Old 10-14-03, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I dislike "dvd reviews" that weigh to heavily on the writer's opinion of the movie. Sorry, but we all know what the movie is about and got reviews back when it was actually in theaters.
Old 10-14-03, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,879 Likes on 1,237 Posts
Originally posted by fumanstan
Sorry, but we all know what the movie is about and got reviews back when it was actually in theaters.
In this instance, sure, but I wouldn't say that's generally the case for a fairly hefty number of the releases that hit stores every Tuesday.
Old 10-14-03, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
That's true, but in this case, where people seem to hedge so much on the rave scene and so called "pointless fights" that have been discussed enough back when the movie was released, reviewers for the dvd are going to skew the rating based on those tidbits. It's one thing to summarize the movie and general feelings, but more often then not i see overall scores lowered because of reviewer bias.
Old 10-14-03, 11:24 PM
dgc

BTW, IMO the A/V quality was refrence material. Something as important as that should be part of a dvd review.....a dvd review.....a dvd review.

My tastes in film vary, ranging from silent films to WB classics to mindless CGI filled scifi action flicks. I can appreciate all genres/forms of movie entertainment. Matrix Reloaded entertained me and looks and sounds incredible in my dedicated HT.

Mr. Obvious speaks:

Apparently, many people like the film. At $14.99 This 2 disc dvd set will sell extremely well regardless of any bad press.
Old 10-15-03, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Not as good as I hoped or expected, but better than Charlie's Angels Full Throttle, XXX, Fast and Furious 2, etc.
Old 10-15-03, 10:21 AM
Banned

Save your money and buy DarkCity. :)

I agree 100% with the review. Reloaded was awful. I think the reviewer hit it on the head.
Old 10-15-03, 11:12 AM

Re: Save your money and buy DarkCity. :)

Originally posted by effigy
I agree 100% with the review. Reloaded was awful. I think the reviewer hit it on the head.
Reloaded wasn't awful...Phantom Menace was awful. Reloaded was merely a disappointment - and one I'm reserving judgement on until Revolutions comes out...since those two are really supposed to be one long movie.
Old 10-17-03, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I couldn't have said it any better Spooky.
Old 10-17-03, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Regardless of what Msnbc thinks, it still sold over 4 million copies the first day!
Old 10-20-03, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's a sad realization when you discover you are in the minority of people who realize where the movie is going. That, in and of itself, is a BIG part of the movie that people are apparently not seeing. How would The original Matrix have done if people didn't 'get it'. This, of course, is my interpretation, which may or may not be where the 'brothers' are going. One simple fact remains......the 3rd one is going to be a TRIP!!
Old 10-24-03, 01:45 PM
Bru

maybe I went in with low expectations but I just got done watching it and was pleasantly suprised!!!! the trailer gave me not interest in seeing it. 30min into it I was wondering where is this going and why so slow but after that man did it get going. this movie was alot better than I thought it was going to be. just got done watching the movie on dvd and have to say I dont know why people are saying its not as good as the first. remember the first was something new and had a great beginning story, but unlike the ep.1 & 2 movies this one has a leg to stand on.

I went back and also watched the first and found myself wanting to watch the second again and realized the first is so great because it was the first and had a great ending to a beginning.

I think people need to go back and watch the reloaded again. I cant say enough how much I enjoyed it and I had no interest in it just because of the previews. shame on me!!!!

I dont know how anyone could say reloaded was a disappointment.

the video was beautiful on this disc too!!!!!!!

great movie!!!!!!

revolutions looks to be even better.
Old 10-26-03, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
If the "Blade-like" Techno Dancing and tribal beating of drums were removed from the movie, it would have been good. Even after the agonizing 10mins of freak-nasty dancing and feel-good brother talk, I was asking myself, what does this dancing have to do with anything in the movie? I was expecting Wesley Snipes to make a cameo and start slicing people.

Apparently, many are used to getting forcefed the same crap over and over. Matrix Reloaded, was not all it was supposed to be, and it was very easy to figure out that the directors gave into the hype and didn't make their movie as it was intended. It's a shame.

The car chase scene was not all it was hyped to be either. Honestly, it sucked. It could have been a 50min car chase, or even longer, as you would only need to repeat every few minutes. It was very repetitive, and there was no need for an extended car chase.

Another corrupted movie takes a downturn, thanks to Hollywood. It is all too apparent, this movie was rushed and it's no wonder both movies were made at the same time.

I think Point Break 2: Bigger Waves, will be more entertaining.

P.S. The audio was terrible. This I can confirm. The levels were going up and down in the dialogue tracks, not just during action scenes. Whoever mastered this audio track, must have been a total retard. This was not due to defective recording, but was due to defective audio training. A $100 db limiter you can buy at any electronics store, would have made this soundtrack sound better. I put the soundtrack into Wavelab, and the levels were just all over the place. Very immature recording, and the Wacko Brothers must have ran out of money due to Keanu, and hired a local deaf DJ.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 10-26-03 at 03:43 PM.