Reload this Page >

Anyone read Lorrie Moore's "Birds of America?"

Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Old 10-13-03, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

I just now got back from seeing David Sedaris speak (HILARIOUS!). Anyway, he said that each time that he goes on one of these tours he recommends a different book. Tonight he couldn't stop raving about Lorrie Moore's "Birds of America" and I was wondering if anyone has read it and, if so, what they thought of it.

I'm sure that I'll pick it up eventually. I just wanted some other people's input.
Old 10-18-03, 07:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I read it .... I remember really liking it, but because of the sheer amount of info that goes through my head on a daily basis, I can't right now remember WHY I liked it... hehehe...

I do remember that I picked it up on the discount rack at Barnes & Noble for $5.95, tho.

Muse
Old 10-18-03, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
I'm a fan of Lorrie Moore, but I'm fonder of her earlier work than her more recent stuff like Birds of America. Nevertheless, she writes great little short stories, ones that manage to be both funny and emotional at the same time. I can see why Sedaris would like her, they kind of come from the same perspective on life. I would recommend "Birds," but I remember that it was a little darker and more cynical than some of her works have been. I'd also recommend "Like Life" and "Self-Help," her two earlier short story collections. I haven't been as big a fan of her novels that I've read.