Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Alyson Hannigan (Willow) signs NBC sitcom deal...

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-03, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Here's hoping! I'd love to see Alyson hit it big with her own show...

Hannigan Takes Stab at NBC Sitcom
Sun Oct 12, 8:34 PM ET
By Nellie Andreeva

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" co-star Alyson Hannigan is returning to the small screen.

The actress, also of "American Pie" fame, has inked a talent deal with NBC to star in a comedy project for the network targeted for fall 2004.

"She has such a natural effervescence, she brought into 'Buffy' a real sense of humor to the role of Willow, and between that and the 'American Pie' movies, where she's so winning, we really think that this is the right time for her to try a half-hour comedy," NBC executive vp casting Marc Hirschfeld said.

Hannigan, who is meeting with writers and reading scripts, played Willow Rosenberg, the best friend of Buffy Summers (Sarah Michelle Gellar), on Joss Whedon's cult series. On the big screen, she most recently reprised her role as the nerdy band camp lover Michelle Flaherty in "American Wedding."

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter
Old 10-13-03, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hannigan =
NBC + Sitcom =

Here's hoping ...

das
Old 10-13-03, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think she is too good to star in a formulaic sitcom. Unless they can make it something different than the usual situation comedy dreck, I fear her talent will be wasted.

(See: Luis -- funny guy in movies...horrible show.)

I'd rather see her do an hour-long dramedy type show. She has a great vulnerability she could bring to a character who has both funny and touching moments.
Old 10-13-03, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would expect this to be going more for the American Pie crowd than the Buffy crowd. Maybe she'll be the Band Camp Counselor.

NBC has had good sitcoms, 2nd to FOX imho.
Old 10-13-03, 03:05 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Jadzia
I'd rather see her do an hour-long dramedy type show.
I agree 100%. She'd be great in something with the tone of Gilmore Girls or Freaks & Geeks.
Old 10-13-03, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree; I hope it isn't some traditional 3-camera/studio audience/laugh-track show... She could do so much more...
Old 10-13-03, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
Maybe this new show will end up being more comparable to Scrubs than W&G or Coupling.
Old 10-13-03, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
america pie the series
Old 10-13-03, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth Tom Banjo •<HR SIZE=1>Maybe this new show will end up being more comparable to Scrubs than W&G or Coupling. <HR SIZE=1>

Not likely unfortunately. It sounds like they just want her, and more often than not when a star is tapped for a vehicle comedy, it ends up being a standard formula show instead of anything original. There are certainly exceptions to this, but writing a show around a specific actress leaves a lot less freedom than writing a great show and then casting it with the right people.

das
Old 10-13-03, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
And her lonely geek fanbase rejoyces.
Old 10-13-03, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
yes, yes we do.
Old 10-13-03, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe it could be a lesbian comedy.

Willow and Grace?

Old 10-13-03, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Allyson's had a busy week, it seems...

Hannigan Charms New Hubby
E! Online Gossip/Celeb
2 hours, 11 minutes ago

By Lia Haberman

Buffy's former spell-wielding sidekick has finally come into her own.

Alyson Hannigan married her longtime beau, Angel's Alexis Denisof, this weekend, E! News Live has confirmed.

On top of that, she's just inked a deal with NBC to star in her own sitcom, the network confirmed Monday. (Beats a five-piece place setting off the registry.)

No details on the Hannigan-Denisof nuptials were released, but it's the first marriage for both.

Denisof proposed last January while winsome twosome were visiting California's wine country. The union was a long time coming. Though he and Hannigan originally met on the set of Buffy the Vampire Slayer during the 1999-2000 season, the two didn't become an item right away.

"Actually, I had a crush on him from the moment he showed up on set, and he was the good one who said, 'Not while we're working together...' blah blah blah, whatever," Hannigan once told E! Online.

"So we became friends for a couple of years, and I was dating somebody else [Marilyn Manson drummer Ginger Fish], and when that didn't work out, he was on Angel and we just started dating. We had always had a very flirty relationship."

Hannigan, who spent seven years on Buffy until the show ended last season, is unlikely to take an extended honeymoon with her new NBC gig looming.

The thesp, who expressed interest in headlining a comedy pilot while promoting American Wedding this August, was pursued by several networks but ultimately signed a talent holding and development deal with the Peacock.

NBC development prez Kevin Reilly told Variety Hannigan is "a great personality for us to anchor a comedy with."

"America watched her grow up on these movies, and she's come into her own as a young woman," said Reilly. "She's beautiful and funny and really charming. And she exudes a great spark comedically."

Already, NBC and the actress are meeting with potential writers to hear pitches. Per the deal, if nothing comes along by pilot casting season next spring, the red head is free to enter into negotiations with other networks for fall 2004.

The net is inking similar holding deals with much of its talent according to Reilly, offering actors more flexibility and less financial responsibility for the network.

"It's win-win for everybody," he said.

In the meantime, Hannigan will crack funny for That '70s Show. The actress is joining the Fox sitcom for a multi-episode arc this season. She'll play a new recruit at the police academy where Ashton Kutcher's character, Kelso, enrolls.

Hannigan, who got her start in 1988's My Stepmother is an Alien opposite fellow Scooby Seth Green, has starred in all three American Pie movies as band camp geek turned leading sexpot Michelle Flaherty.

Denisof, who continues to play Angel's brainy buddy Wesley Wyndham-Pryce, previously starred in Disney's video sequel Tarzan & Jane and the 1995 Sean Connery-Richard Gere Camelot flick First Knight. He and Hannigan also costarred in last year's straight-to-video dud Rip It Off.

Last edited by adamblast; 10-13-03 at 05:33 PM.
Old 10-13-03, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will definitely watch!
Old 10-13-03, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Here's hoping it doesn't suck!
Old 10-13-03, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Maybe she should have joined Charmed and become a part of the power of 4.
Old 10-14-03, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I was hoping she'd go into movies full time (succeding where SMG failed). Plus, on the big screen, it would've only been a matter of time before she did an 'art' movie.

D
Old 10-14-03, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

"..I was dating somebody else [Marilyn Manson drummer Ginger Fish].."
Wow, she had great taste in men.

Old 10-14-03, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
Unless they put her on Thursday night before ER, this will most likely fail. I think we have enough " typically funny girl gets into a situation that isn't that funny but is supposed to be" like sitcoms already.

Last edited by Dr. DVD; 10-14-03 at 12:39 PM.