Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Animation in Kill Bill ... other similar?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-03, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok, I've never been a big anime fan... except for GI Joe (and knowing is half the battle!) ... but watching Kill Bill, the animation sequence describing whats-her-name's past was awesome!

Can anyone recommend anime movies that have that same sort of feel to it, similar genres/etc?
Old 10-13-03, 10:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Animation in Kill Bill ... other similar?

Originally posted by BradJ
Ok, I've never been a big anime fan... except for GI Joe (and knowing is half the battle!) ... but watching Kill Bill, the animation sequence describing whats-her-name's past was awesome!

Can anyone recommend anime movies that have that same sort of feel to it, similar genres/etc?

You might want to check out:
ghost in the shell
akira
ninja scroll
Blood: the last vampire
Vampire hunter D & its sequel vampire hunter D: bloodlust
animatrix
berserk
fist of the north star (at least the manga....not really sure about the anime)
and some other that I can't think of right now

you might want to check out www.animeondvd.com for more information.
Old 10-13-03, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts
It was a bit strange at first because this animation didn't look like the usual stuff that Production IG comes out with (Like Ghost in the shell,Jin-Roh or Blood:The Last Vampire)

But it rather looked like a combination of Shinichiro Watanabe's sketch work (Animatrix--Kid's Story) and Toyoo Ashida's animated violence (The punches and "Boss Matsumoto" reminded me of Fist of the North Star)

However, I have to say that this guy here was probably the most memorable anime character that I've seen in quite some time:

Oh, you wanted recommendations huh? Well, give the ones that I mentioned up above a start!

Last edited by Mondo Kane; 10-13-03 at 01:15 PM.
Old 10-13-03, 11:24 AM
Banned

The art in Kill Bill looks almost exactly like that in Blood the last Vampire, a 45 minute movie worth checking out on DVD. Also very bloody and involves swords and gushing blood. Very stylish.
Old 10-13-03, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts
Speaking of Ninja Scroll ...

There was even a moment during the "O-Ren/Bride" battle that reminded me of the "Jubei/Utsutsu" fight. Anyone know what I'm talking about.
Old 10-13-03, 12:55 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Blood the Last Vampire and Kite are both very similar
Old 10-13-03, 01:25 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by Mondo Kane
Speaking of Ninja Scroll ...

There was even a moment during the "O-Ren/Bride" battle that reminded me of the "Jubei/Utsutsu" fight. Anyone know what I'm talking about.
When they started running with swords drawn with the bamboo fence(?) in between them...
Old 10-13-03, 01:29 PM
Suspended

I'd pass on the original Vampire Hunter D. It's main redeeming value is nostalgia, as it was probably one of the first anime features many saw.

I'd recommend Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust, Ninja Scroll, Ghost in the Shell, and Cowboy Bebop (TV series and movie) if you liked the sequence in Kill Bill and would like to get started with the more "mainstream" and slick-looking anime action flicks.
Old 10-13-03, 03:03 PM
IIG
DVD Talk Special Edition

I know absolutely nothing about anime/japanimation/manga/whatever.... Unless you want to count the Street Fighter 2 movie! Anyway, are the films mentioned above halfway as violent as the anime in Kill Bill?

Last edited by IIG; 10-13-03 at 03:07 PM.
Old 10-13-03, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
Ninja Scroll is essentially about the violence you saw in the anime clip, extended to 90 minutes. The first half is excellent, the second half falters - but it's still worth seeing. (It's actually a little more graphic, with limbs actually being torn off)

Blood: The Last Vampire (which can be rented from most blockbusters) looks similar to Kill Bill's bit and is quite bloody (it's done by the same company - Production IG), it's 45 minutes long but man is it a blast the first time through, tho by the end - it makes KB: Vol I seem like a complete movie (it too is part of an apparently expanding series)

Cowboy Bebop The Movie isn't too violent, just stylish and fun - plot is 'eh and it shoulda been better imho but still quite good.

Berserk is essentially what happens when you cross the bit from KB with Lord of the Rings.. Ultra bloody (spraying everywhere) and massive/epic scope. (The first 3 are movies, this is a TV series, 26 episodes that plays out like a 10 hour movie.)

I haven't seen much ultra violent anime in the last few years, so can't really comment. The movie X is highly stylized and violent but not very entertaining and there is now a Ninja Scroll TV Series coming out.

... and I forgot about Spriggan, this movie is covered in blood and is basically a bombastic, anime rendition of Raiders of the Lost Ark with a little less plot and a lot more ass kicking. Entertaining flick just be sure to check your brain at the door.

Oh yeah and can't forget Kite, that's a semi-classic, it was even remade into a music video for No Doubt by director Hype Williams (for the song "Ex-Girlfriend") a few years ago. I haven't seen it's followup, Mezzo Forte, yet though. Though to note - both Kite and MF are hentais at their core (sex anime) the Kite edited version is a pure out action movie - and a kickass one - without the sex, the sex scenes are only needed for like 2 scenes in the movie (since there's a sexual abuse undertone at points) the rest were gratuitous - and the "Director's Cut" I do believe doesn't even have the vital ones since she's "underage" in the scenes. Anyway - check out the edited versions of both if you can (Yes, first time I've ever recommended edited versions.)

IGNORE THIS LIST

Sorry, I was going straight for the gore, you want revenge-style stuff with unique animation style and good (generally speaking) artwork, I don't really know of many thought Kite offered a similar theme, it has a more.. standard.. artstyle to it.. Do check out Blood:TLV though, it has a very similar "feel" to the Chapter 3 of KB.

Also, I've heard many really good things about the new korean animated movie, Wonderful Days. (It looks a little more cartoonish that most anime does (heh that's .. odd way to put it)) yet it still rather 'adult'.

Last edited by RichC2; 10-13-03 at 03:57 PM.
Old 10-14-03, 02:31 AM
Banned

Berserk is as violent as you can possibly get...PERIOD. Infact the violence in Berserk makes KB look tame in comparision...especially the very last episode, and the nature what was actually happening to the people involved. Best anime ever....if you're twisted like me
Old 10-14-03, 04:57 AM
Banned

Animation wise you might want to check out "Spriggan".

Personally I thought the movie sucked but the animation was so lifelike and fluid I almost forgot I was watching a cartoon.
Old 10-15-03, 01:02 AM
Banned

yeah