Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Perl programmers...lend me your ears.

palebluedot
10-10-03, 10:22 AM
So I do all my programming in Perl but I am in a situation where I need to hide my source code. I am looking for any way I can do that or convert it a different code so I can create a binary out of it. It has never been an issue for me so it's something I have never learned how to do. Any ideas on this one?

CharlesC
10-10-03, 11:33 AM
Hide it from who? To users that you are distributing it to?

Maybe there is some third party tool that can encrypt the script files and decrypt them at run time.

palebluedot
10-10-03, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by CharlesC
Hide it from who? To users that you are distributing it to?

Maybe there is some third party tool that can encrypt the script files and decrypt them at run time.

Yeah...I need to make it so the source code is not visable. I know how to do that using database tables but it is a very diffucult process and not good for distribution.

Kiljin
10-10-03, 05:59 PM
Compile it. That would make it machine dependent, but not human-readable.

Article on it:
http://lists.evolt.org/archive/Week-of-Mon-20010604/034159.html

palebluedot
10-10-03, 10:13 PM
Thanks...I actually found Perl compiler after a bit more searching and it is something completely new to me. That is a great arcitle you linked though...thanks much.

Gunshy
10-11-03, 12:56 AM
I've used the perl2exe product on a trial basis and it worked well for the most part. I had some errors however, even thought the binary seemed to run so I emailed the author(? I assume it was the author anyway). This person was very helpful with the problems I had, replied very quickly and forwarded me fixes to try. Very impressed by that attention to service. We ended up shelving the project for the time being but I might be looking into buying perl2exe some time in the future.

I have yet to hear of a Perl code obfuscator - maybe it's time I wrote one! :)

Good luck.

-Gunshy

AGuyNamedMike
10-13-03, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by Gunshy
... Perl code obfuscator...

Wouldn't that be redundant?

:D