Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Why close a thread because of a single post...

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-03, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

...instead of just removing that particular post?
I refer you to this recent thread as an example: http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=322970

Why can't the offending post be simply removed, as personal attacks often are, as opposed to terminating the otherwise normal discussion and effectively punishing the innocent parties? Seems like the needs of the many are outweighed by the needs of the few...or the one.

Just curious.
Old 10-10-03, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, if someone goes through and quotes that person, I think it obviously is a bit too late. But if a mod can catch something like this quick enough, it might be an effective solution.

Of course, the value of an in-thread warning should also be considered.
Old 10-10-03, 12:39 PM
Mod Emeritus

Re: Why close a thread because of a single post...

<small>
Originally posted by Numanoid
Why can't the offending post be simply removed, as personal attacks often are, as opposed to terminating the otherwise normal discussion and effectively punishing the innocent parties?
</small>It can be a pain having to strip out off-topic posts. I've sometimes locked and gone back later to split and re-open but time-constraints or annoyance at repeat-offenders sometime will make one think....
What the heck. Let's just punish those innocent parties. Anyway, they were probably guilty another time and got off scot free so, <i>nyerr</i>!
.... or something!
Old 10-10-03, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

At this time, I guess I should note that I have been and ever shall be your friend.

das

I never took the Kobayashi Maru test until now. What do you think of my solution?
Old 10-10-03, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Asked a mod this a while back and the answer simply was that if a warning was given to a specific poster in the thread, that member usually would then answer back to the warning, rather than discussing it with that mod by email. In this case, the member was suspended, so that complicates things, I've seen many other threads in which a member was immediately suspended for inappropriate comments that were not related to the thread but the threads resumed. In this case, the inappropriate comments were somewhat related to the thread (in a bad way). Different situations call for different measures.

We all can agree that for certain threads, some members will immediately turn ignorant, rude, and obnoxious. Maybe next week, I'll make a new "Civility" sticky for Other if the mods approve.
Old 10-10-03, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Idiot Moderators!!!!!
Old 10-10-03, 06:21 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I don't understand...why was this comment enough to close a thread when bhk posts about "All liberals should be in jail" on a regular basis?
Old 10-10-03, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Groucho
I don't understand...why was this comment enough to close a thread when bhk posts about "All liberals should be in jail" on a regular basis?
Hmmm...I hadn't heard that.
Old 10-11-03, 08:46 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Groucho

Maybe it's because no one is reporting it when he says this? Remember, we're only human and most of us have lives outside the forum, so we can't actually read every post of every thread. We are trying to crack down on the blanket insults, but even at our best it's impossible to catch them all.
Old 10-11-03, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
I commented on this a while ago, and since have taken note that these types of closures only occur in Other.... The mods of the rest of the forums, and even some of those covering Other, do not normally seem to close the thread, and give an in-thread warning with no further problems.

Personally, I hate how one troll can close a perfectly good discusion with a single post even when everyone ignores it. I have even seen threads closed for a post many pages back that no one even responded to. What's the point in that?
Old 10-11-03, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Dead
Remember, we're only human and most of us have lives outside the forum
Is that a potshot at X? I mean, he doesn't have a life outside the forum, so why hasn't he come in here to defend himself?

Old 10-11-03, 01:25 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
Originally posted by RandyC
F**king Shithead Idiot Moderators!!!!!

Fixed.
Old 10-11-03, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by SunMonkey

Personally, I hate how one troll can close a perfectly good discusion with a single post even when everyone ignores it. I have even seen threads closed for a post many pages back that no one even responded to. What's the point in that?
Perhaps, the mods' strategy is to have the hate aimed towards the member whose comments got the thread locked. Like I said before, I think we could use a new civility thread, the other one just seem a bit outdated and ended up being off-topic. Maybe something like Dead's old thread for the war forum.

Originally posted by Bandoman
Fixed.
Strike three! You're outta here!

Old 10-11-03, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Ranger

That kid's balls are perilously unprotected.