Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Blink 182's New Single "Feeling This"

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-03, 06:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just heard it... excellent song... I can always rely on Blink 182 to put out great albums. They just always get better and better. I don't give a poo if they don't sound like they used it. In all honesty, they SUCKED back then. They sounded amatureish and sloppy. Every new studio album they've put out sounds progressively better and better. Bands shouldn't stay the same. They need to evolve, and get a new sound once in a while. And Blink 182 is definately a band that does this, and still rocks! You would never hear a song like "Stay Together For The Kids" or "Adams Song" on their older albums.

They've really grown up, and their new single proves that once again. It sounds unlike any of their other work, which is a great feeling. I can't wait for November 18th!

For anyone who hasn't heard it on the radio, you can go to Blink 182.com and check out the downloads section. They have it streaming there with WMA and Real.
Old 10-10-03, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Personally I like the earlier albums like Buddah and Cheshire Cat better...even though Buddah really isn't an album.
Old 10-10-03, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I really thought this new song sucked. When I first heard it I didn't know who it was and I actually thought it was a radio commercial song for like beer or something. The sound quality is pretty awful -- I guess because they didn't record it in an real studio.

And, this isn't a Blink bash. I like their stuff (new & old), I just think this song is trash.
Old 10-10-03, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
it blows (IMHO)... no offense.

I think it's kinda funny how all these bands can sign to a major label and they end up all sounding the same... and then people insist that it's just stupid to suggest that they're sellouts just cuz they sign. I guess "sellout" has a stigma attached... maybe the new term should be "cashing in". Nothing really wrong with it, but I just kinda wish these bands could maintain 100% creative control. Now one could argue that B182 has 100% creative control - and that might be true (doubtful), but the truth is they haven't really been around that long and they weren't around for very long at all before they got 'discovered'.

Sorry - I'm just rambling.
Old 11-11-03, 01:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not "feeling this"...

I can agree with Trigger.... it does blow.

I managed to hear the entire album last night and some this evening.

- The track "The Fallen Interlude" sounds way too similar to Limp Bizkit.
- "All Of This" featuring The Cure's Robert Smith may have sounded like a good idea at the time, but in the end, it sounds completely off. It litterally made me say WTF? while i was listening to it. Mighta been a good B-side to a hit single.
- "Violence" has some annoying sound effects used as a bridge between the chorus and a verse. (imaginary example: record some silence from an FM radio broadcast then play it back extremely loud)

I can understand the need to break off for a bit and do side projects to "musically vent". To do something completely different from what the band is used to playing. U2 did it with the Passengers. Beastie Boys did it with BS2000. The jury's still out on whether the recent "Green Day" album was (part/all of) them or someone else. And I thought Blink 182 did it with Boxcar Racer.

DodgingCars: I feel ya... 100%. I went and bought some of the older albums and I could get into them so easily. The songs are still great and the hyped feeling I got from these albums played thru up until I heard this album.

Whether or not Blink is trying to reinvent themselves, they should "ease it in". Obviously, on the last album you could tell they tried to ease in another "Adam's Song" because that's what they knew would get the audience's ear. They did something right. Now, it's as though they just said "well, we're tired of this" (which can be understandable) and here's the new Blink, hence a self-titled album. No warning. I feel alot of the "Enema" bandwagon Blink 182 fans are gonna be sorely dissapointed and it will hurt their record sales.

I might have a few more listens to the album and have a different opinion later but my opinion right now is: This might not be a CD I'll want to add to my all-time collection.
Old 11-11-03, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I listened to some samples from each song on their album, and some of them were pretty good. Not sure if I'll buy the album though.

If they add it to Rhapsody, I'll probably just be content with hearing it there.
Old 11-12-03, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I picked up the album a few days ago, and so far it's OK. They definately have matured their sound... or rather, taken a more mature approach... gone are the days of dick and fart joke songs... and I kind of miss them. They take themselves too seriously on a few tracks, but overall, it's a pretty decent album, just not the fun party record I was hoping for.

I think a lot of their younger fans are going to be bitterly disappointed.

MATT