Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Rare/OAR films on Turner Classic Movies and Cable

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 10-10-03, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thought this might be a bit of a catch-all thread, based on the great info found in the Halloween films thread http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=321127 Hopefully, this can evolve into a tip sheet for films on the telly that are no so easy to track down in their OAR or on DVD. I'll get the ball rolling:

Monday November 24, 1:30 AM est. New York, New York (1977) A jazz musician and a singer fight and love their way through the show-biz world of the late forties. Liza Minnelli, Robert De Niro, Lionel Stander. D: Martin Scorsese. C 163m. LBX CC

Key here is LBX or letterbox, because this is not yet on DVD, and a great chance for folks to catch probably the least seen Scorsese-Deniro collaboration as it was meant to be seen.

SundayDecember 7, 7am Katharine Hepburn: All About Me (1993) In a rare interview, Katharine Hepburn shares her memories and memorabilia. D: David Heeley. BW & C 70m. CC

Documentary on Hepburn not availble elsewhere.

Hopefully, folks who recognize these kinds of rarities at
http://www.turnerclassicmovies.com/ can make the rest of us aware of things we might not want to miss. That goes for any any cable channel too, but TCM seems to be the homebase for this kind of stuff.
Old 10-10-03, 09:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love Turner Classic Movies. This past Sunday, we got the restored silent version of Phantom of the Opera, followed by yet-to-be-released-on-DVD Freaks. Turner Classic Movies is my favorite cable movie channel, and there have been numerous threads singing its praise.
Old 10-10-03, 01:36 PM
Banned

TCM rules, but don't bend over backwards to see New York, New York in it's OAR. It was shot only slightly wider than 1.33 (not even 1.66) so the black bars are very small (ie. you miss very little when watching the full frame, it might even be open matte).

Scorsese wanted the film to look as much like a '40s MGM musical as posible (Technicolor and Academy Ratio) but he couldn't get either, so he shot it very narrow on eastman stock. He used strong saturated colors in the sets, costumes, and make-up in the hope that when shot on eastman they might resemble I.B. Technicolor (they don't).
Old 10-10-03, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Pants
TCM rules, but don't bend over backwards to see New York, New York in it's OAR. It was shot only slightly wider than 1.33 (not even 1.66) so the black bars are very small (ie. you miss very little when watching the full frame, it might even be open matte).

Scorsese wanted the film to look as much like a '40s MGM musical as posible (Technicolor and Academy Ratio) but he couldn't get either, so he shot it very narrow on eastman stock. He used strong saturated colors in the sets, costumes, and make-up in the hope that when shot on eastman they might resemble I.B. Technicolor (they don't).
Thats interesting, thanks for the tip. I remember hearing about the musical shoot style, but I forgot about it. It's certainly not a critically acclaimed film, but I'm interested to see it just to complete my viewing of their entire collaboration. Probably one of the 3 most important in the last 50 years for me(with Leone/Eastwood and Kurosawa/Mifune)
Old 10-22-03, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Perhaps this post will be too late to be of use to anyone but Steven Spielberg's The Sugarland Express is being shown on TCM tonight. This film is not yet available on DVD (as far as I know).

Wednesday, October 22nd at 8:00 PM
The Sugarland Express (1974)

An ex-convict springs her husband from prison to keep their child from being adopted.
Goldie Hawn, Ben Johnson, William Atherton.
D: Steven Spielberg. C 110m. LBX CC

And here's the link at IMDb.com:
Spielberg's Sugarland Express at IMDb.com
Old 10-22-03, 04:21 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Sugarland Express is Spielberg's first theatrical film. It's actually pretty good, although don't expect it to be like Duel or Jaws.
Old 11-19-03, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just wanted to bump to remind everyone we're coming up New York New York soon. I didn't see anything in the January schedule, but I may just not know what's rare. Some interesting theme days at least.

And not quite a rarity, but for those who may not have seen any Kurosawa, and quite reasonably don't want to make the inital expenditure of $30 or so to find out what the fuss is, on Friday November 28, they have a night of Kurosawa, tied into the Last Samurai, featuring The Seven Samurai, Yojimbo and Throne of Blood. A nice introduction to Kurosawa right there for the price of your cable bill. The evening is hosted by the Samurai director and Tom Cruise.
Old 11-19-03, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I find myself watching more and more of TCM. They have great stuff!
Old 11-19-03, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm gonna be watching that samurai special.
Old 11-19-03, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

TCM lmost makes me wish I had cable instead of spending all my money on DVD's
Old 11-20-03, 08:31 PM

I love TCM-best cable channel ever. I just watched "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner" and "Kramer vs. Kramer" for the first time. Props to TCM for displaying the movies in OAR and uncut.

By the way, both movies were really terrific, and I'm so happy I have finally seen them now.