Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What is the name of this movie? (WWII concentration camp, homosexuals)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-03, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw the middle part of a movie and am trying to figure out the name so I can rent it to see the whole thing.

I believe it is from the last 5 years or so. It is a WWII concentration camp movie with the central characters being homosexuals. Where I started watching the movie there were to gay men on a train. One had glasses on, and because of this (when he was told to leave all personal belongings behind) he was severely beaten. His partner couldn’t help him because if he did he would also be beaten. The beaten guy dies and his partner is forced to have sex with a young (13?) girl in order to prove that he isn’t gay. At the concentration camp his job is to move a pile of rocks from one side of a courtyard to the other side, then back again. Day after day after day.

That’s pretty much all I can remember.

Thanks!
Old 10-09-03, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
I'm pretty sure you're talking about Bent.
Old 10-09-03, 03:44 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
It's Bent.
Old 10-09-03, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 479 Likes on 315 Posts
Yeah. if you are interested in seeing a concentration camp movie about the homosexual experience, get Bent.
Old 10-09-03, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
Harts War!
Old 10-09-03, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, that's it, I'll look for it on the shelves of the video stores I frequent ($1 rentals!).

From the review, it says that the guy wanted to be marked as a jew because being sent to the gas chambers was better than what happened to gay men in the concentration camps. Does the movie go into some detail as to what happened, or is that just a historical footnote that wasn't developed in the movie? And if it isn't in the movie, what did happen to homosexuals in the concentration camps?
Old 10-10-03, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by Heat
And if it isn't in the movie, what did happen to homosexuals in the concentration camps?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...05YUP1/dvdtalk

Pretty much the same as everyone else; maybe a bit worse, but how can you judge such things?

Clearly, having a pink triangle meant you were the lowest of the low in the camps... I'm sure they were picked on and abused horribly. And some gay men were medically experimented on in hideous ways... But all this was true of others as well. I wouldn't personally claim (in general) that "what happened to gays was worse than the gas chamber..." Only that there were a lot of us killed and tortured, and that history ignored it all until a few years ago.