Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

MAJOR help needed hooking up Xbox Live PLEASE!!!!!

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-03, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let me just say that this has been the hardest most frustrating thing ive ever done in my life. I have been on the phone with tech support alot and if i can even understand what they say it doesnt help. Here goes, hope i give enough info: OS is windows 98, and we have a cable modem.

So I bought a router and hooked it up but when i tried to get on it always came up with the DNS error screen. the first checkpoints worked. our modem is hooked up by a usb cable. so i think i figured out that since it is i would have to do a Windows ICS thing and buy some different ethernet cable (dont want to do that). but we do have a ethernet card on the back of our computer.

so should i switch the modem to be connected by the ethernet card instead of the usb port. if so how do i do that and if i do will that solve my XBL problems? I would GREATLY appreciate someone helping me out here, as this has been so FRUSTRATING. Thanks
Old 10-09-03, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts
I hook up my DSL modem to my computer via usb, and the Xbox via ethernet. That seems to work the best for me. My friend had the DNS error a few times, but it went away after he let it sit a few minutes.

I think there is a troubleshooting guide at Xbox.com, that might help.
Old 10-09-03, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by nickdawgy
I hook up my DSL modem to my computer via usb, and the Xbox via ethernet. That seems to work the best for me. My friend had the DNS error a few times, but it went away after he let it sit a few minutes.

I think there is a troubleshooting guide at Xbox.com, that might help.
ya it sucks. anyways so you have a usb cord from your cable modem to your pc. and then an ethernet cable from the xbox to what?
Old 10-09-03, 03:33 PM

Does your cable modem have an ethernet port on it in addition to the USB connection? If so, you would want to do what you suggest, switch the connection (from the computer to the cable modem) to ethernet instead of USB.

So ideally, you have four objects, all connected via ethernet:
[list=1][*]Your computer is connected to the router[*]Your XBOX is connected to the router[*]The router is connected to the cable modem[*]The cable modem is connected to the wall (via coax, just like it already is)[/list=1]

There may be another solution involving ICS and a crossover ethernet cable as you mentioned, but the above solution is far easier. Don't get too frustrated; it will work eventually
Old 10-09-03, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

still didnt work..........
Old 10-09-03, 06:29 PM

Don't know if this will help, but a friend of mine was pulling his hair out not to long ago with the same problem. I told him to unplug his power cord to his cable modem for a minute just for sheetz and giggles and wallah, it fixed his problem.
Old 10-09-03, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

oh did that a hundred times
Old 10-10-03, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts
Originally posted by rocketsauce
ya it sucks. anyways so you have a usb cord from your cable modem to your pc. and then an ethernet cable from the xbox to what?
What I said was I have my Xbox hooked up to the DSL modem with the ethernet cord, and the PC hooked to the modem with the usb cord. Seems to work just fine for me that way.
Old 10-10-03, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Make sure you are using a patch cable from your router to your Xbox and not a crossover cable.
Old 10-10-03, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 916 Likes on 676 Posts
Try to narrow down the issue by connecting the XBOX directly to the modem. If that works, then you know the router is the issue.
Old 10-10-03, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/connect/choose.htm
Old 10-10-03, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You are probably thinking about this too hard. Here is what you have currently:

A cable modem
A router
A PC
An X-Box

If you just throw all this stuff together, then yes, it's likely something isn't going to work. You need to go step-by-step.

First, you can connect using the PC. Good.
Now, try putting the router in between the PC and the cable modem. If the cable modem uses DHCP, you should be fine, things should just work. If it's like my DSL modem, and requires authentication, you'll have to configure the router to access the modem. You may also have to set your computer to DHCP to access the router (to change its settings). You may need to consult the router manual and call your broadband provider to ge this set up properly.

Once that's done, you should be able to plug the X-Box into the router and it should just work.