Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Viewtiful Joe Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-03, 10:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Go buy Viewtiful Joe today!

It's out today. If you own a Gamecube you MUST buy this game if you don't own a Gamecube you MUST buy a Gamecube and buy this game!

Don't just take it from me. Read what others have to say!

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/562548.asp
Old 10-08-03, 11:13 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd love to buy it just to support 2D gaming, but after playing the demo (and given my tight grad student budget) I'll have to pass. I just didn't like it enough to pay $40 for it. I'll wait for it to hit the bargain bins (which unfortunately probably won't be long since it's 2D) or pick it up in the trade forum.
Old 10-08-03, 11:18 AM

I'll be picking it up in about an hour unless Gamestop jerks me around.
Old 10-08-03, 11:21 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
FYI, free shipping at www.ebgames.com 39.99. I bought it w/ my MSN Dollars.
Old 10-08-03, 11:22 AM

What did you not like about the demo? In the demo you don't even get all of Joe's superpowers. But if you don't like action games then even the extra superpowers won't help you to like the game.
Old 10-08-03, 11:26 AM
Retired

I'm not big into action games. They tend to be repetitive, and this was a short demo and it was already getting repetitive. I didn't like having to wait for the little skull to pop up to dodge and make the enemies dizzy. That's pretty boring. I also would have preferred to just have his super powers all the time. The meter stays full most of the time, so having it run out just adds frustration when you're getting ready to punch a bullet back in slowmo, onlk to have it run out and end up getting hit.
Old 10-08-03, 11:29 AM

If you had the super powers all the time then it would be

1 too easy
2 too repetitive

It is designed that way so you have to manage your super powers and not just use them non stop. This creates strategy in the game.

Also your super power meter gets bigger as you play the game but you have to earn it.
Old 10-08-03, 11:33 AM
Retired

I don't think it would make it too easy though. Most enemies are just as easy to beat just dodging and countering and not even bothering with the super powers. But maybe there's more variety in the later levels. I didn't get that impression from the EGM review, which said after the first level, you'll seen 90% of the way enemies will attack you.

As for making the game repetitive, it's a beat'em up action game, it's repetitive as hell by nature.

Like I said though, I'm not big on action games in general. This one has a lot of style going for it, and I'll pick it up eventually....just not for $40.
Old 10-08-03, 11:37 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ok, I havent read any of the comic books or seen any of the cartoons or whatever is causing the hype so i have a question:

What does 'Viewtiful' mean? They're trying to say he's 'beautiful'? Does he have powers to see stuff or what? any backstory to share?

I seriously want to know because the word is annoying.
Old 10-08-03, 11:47 AM

I can't buy it today, but it'll probably arrive tomorrow from the mail! $39 shipped with bobble head Should be fun!
Old 10-08-03, 11:48 AM
Retired

I'm not sure what the deal with "viewtiful" is. He doesn't have any powers to see anything, just slowdown and speed up time, and zoom in.
Old 10-08-03, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Seems like an old school game done in a stylized manner, probably doesn't appeal to the 3D generation. Looks awesome, I wish it came out for the xbox or PS2, since I don't have a GC.
Old 10-08-03, 12:00 PM
Retired

It might get ported over eventually. Especially if it doesn't sell well on the GC.
Old 10-08-03, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's ok Maynerd.......you tried....

some people just don't like some kinds of games...

just as some people don't like to celebrate holidays.

I am pickin up my copy today
Old 10-08-03, 12:11 PM
Retired

Just to clarify, I really hope this game does well as I love 2D games and would love to see this spur a rebirth of them. If I had the money, I'd totally go buy it just to offer my support, even though the demo didn't impress me that much. But alas, I'm poor.
Old 10-08-03, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i'm getting it. this demo was good, the reviews are saying the whole game is good. its cheaper then most games... i'm out of excuses for not buying it.
Old 10-08-03, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
I don't think it would make it too easy though. Most enemies are just as easy to beat just dodging and countering and not even bothering with the super powers.
I'm pretty sure that the demo level plays on the lowest difficulty setting.
Old 10-08-03, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
It might get ported over eventually. Especially if it doesn't sell well on the GC.
Interesting enough in a interview with the creator, the creator of the game said if it sold well they might port it. But if it didn't then they likely wouldn't.

Interview

Why was GameCube your platform of choice?

Inaba-san: Actually, the GameCube was able to create the look we were really going after. It had just the right amount of flexibility to do everything we wanted to do with effects, all the particles on the screen, etc. Also we figured for Japan, as well as America, that GameCube had the kind of hardcore action gamers that would want to play the game, so it fit the target

As a possible way to bolster sales, are you thinking of releasing it on other platforms?

Inaba-san: That hasn't been decided. Sales are key and we have to see how it does in America. If it's a stinker, we wouldn't release it for other platforms. We'll have to wait a while longer and find out what happens.

What does it mean to be Viewtiful? Is it just about the pink, or is there more?

Inaba-san: [laughs] Viewtiful symbolizes everything that Joe has. So, his moves are cool, he's cool -- he's viewtiful. I mean that not in a feminine way but a masculine way. Even with the pink as his color, it's viewtiful, and he can stand out and get the job done.
Old 10-08-03, 01:14 PM

The demo is on the easiest setting. The game has 2 difficulty settings at the start and there are 2 higher settings that become available after you beat the game. Trust me this game is HARD.
Old 10-08-03, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
So Gamecube has a lot of hardcore action gamers? Hmm, but I thought GC was for kids?
Old 10-08-03, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 961 Likes on 668 Posts
Originally posted by Maynerd
What did you not like about the demo? In the demo you don't even get all of Joe's superpowers. But if you don't like action games then even the extra superpowers won't help you to like the game.
Don't even try. Just because it isn't exactly like he hoped he will put it down and such. Because it is too hard or not enough like the original.

As far as getting it I too am on a tight budget and will pick it up when it hits around $25. I hope it sells well but they keep it on the cube.
Old 10-08-03, 01:49 PM
Retired

Originally posted by jeffdsmith
Interesting enough in a interview with the creator, the creator of the game said if it sold well they might port it. But if it didn't then they likely wouldn't.
That's odd. My reasoning was if it sold poorly, they might slap some ports out to try to break even, or make a little, rather than take a loss.

I guess it would make sense if it sold super well to, as it would maximize profits.
Old 10-08-03, 03:03 PM

Picked up the game about an hour or so ago. All I can say is don't judge the game by the demo at all. You should rent the game to get a true feel for it now. When in regular Joe form the screen takes on a old movie grainy look including hairs on the print look,very cool effect. I almost died against the first enemies as well playing on the adult difficulty.

Found out you can buy an upgrade for comboing in mid-air,no longer dislikingThe only thing I dislike that seems to have changed is when in mid air you can't continually just punch combo and stay afloat anymore, it seems you have to alternate kick,punch. Unless a power up changes that. Another very small nitpick is when I fought against the first boss that wasn't Cap Blue, there were no subtitles and the character voice was hard to understand sometimes.

Last edited by Galanthas; 10-08-03 at 09:51 PM.
Old 10-08-03, 03:12 PM
King Voodoo

Picking it up today. Question though. Does it support progressive scan? Thanks.
Old 10-08-03, 03:14 PM

Originally posted by King Voodoo
Picking it up today. Question though. Does it support progressive scan? Thanks.
Yes. It also says in the manual:"Please note that on some TVs, activating the progressive scan mode will set the format of the image to a widescreen (16:9) format".

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.