Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Gamecube Gameboy Player

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-03, 02:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gamecube Gameboy Player

Okay, does anyone have one of these? I just want some opinions about the quality of the game boy games played with the player. How is the quality, I assume it depends on which platform of game boy the game was released on? How big a window are the games displayed in? Any other opinions or thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you.
Old 10-07-03, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think you could search for hardware reviews online and get some pretty good answers. I know IGN did a video review of the product and was pretty pleased with it.

If I still had all of the original Gameboy games I once owned I would buy this right away. It's a great idea.
Old 10-07-03, 02:41 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The quality is awesome.

GBA games look just like SNES games, with a frame as the aspect ratio is differnt.

GBA and GBC games look good as well.

I love this thing, I got a GBA to play new 2D games, not for the portability, so it's ideal for me.
Old 10-07-03, 04:17 PM

All the games I play on my Game Boy Player look great. I like having them on a bigger screen than the GBA. I also got a Hori controller to go with it and that helped a lot. It's more like the SNES controller and has a better D-pad than the Game Cube controller.
Old 10-07-03, 04:32 PM
Banned

I always thought about getting the GBP but wasnt too sure if the games matched the quality of there SNES counter parts. I still have my SNES but right now, I have 3 systems played in and if I get the GBP, it would be down to 2. Like, can I get a comparison of Donkey Kong Country between the SNES and GBA.
Old 10-07-03, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 958 Likes on 665 Posts
Originally posted by Roan
All the games I play on my Game Boy Player look great. I like having them on a bigger screen than the GBA. I also got a Hori controller to go with it and that helped a lot. It's more like the SNES controller and has a better D-pad than the Game Cube controller.
I have been really wanting to get one of these but is there any cheaper place? The thing is almost $30
Old 10-07-03, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

$30? i'd pay that... where, may i ask?

--
wait, are you talking about the controller? or the gameboy player?
Old 10-07-03, 07:07 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
Love me GBP... the size is good, the graphics are great, the sound is better...

Can't go wrong.

I'm 100% satisfied!
Old 10-07-03, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm 100% satisfied!
Same here.
Old 10-07-03, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

out of curiosity, any reason why only the black version is available in the US?
Old 10-07-03, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Its good, quality of graphics on screen is great, plays in full screen or windowed (because GBA games are widescreen), if you have GBA games or want to play newer ones on your TV, you should defintely get it. Best peripheral ever released.
Old 10-08-03, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by young
$30? i'd pay that... where, may i ask?

--
wait, are you talking about the controller? or the gameboy player?
you missed the quote, talking about the controller.
Old 10-08-03, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Actually I just recently acquired one when I went into the EB to use that $40 Gift Certificate. He suggested that I pick up a used one for $40. I was hesitant at first but he said that if there is anything wrong you can return it and get a new one. I figure since it is hardware it should be pretty sturdy. So I went with it.

Also an odd thing is that he just took the Gift Certificate, no tax. I couldn't tell if he just did not ring up the tax or if $40 includes the tax. If I paid in cash I would have thought that he pocketed the money.
Old 10-09-03, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You can't go wrong with it. I play Mario Kart on it all the time and I forget that it's not SNES. It doesn't even feel emulated.
Old 10-09-03, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by tanman
Actually I just recently acquired one when I went into the EB to use that $40 Gift Certificate. He suggested that I pick up a used one for $40. I was hesitant at first but he said that if there is anything wrong you can return it and get a new one. I figure since it is hardware it should be pretty sturdy. So I went with it.

Also an odd thing is that he just took the Gift Certificate, no tax. I couldn't tell if he just did not ring up the tax or if $40 includes the tax. If I paid in cash I would have thought that he pocketed the money.
Because those "gift certificates" (vouchers) are like store credit. You only have to pay tax on what you spend over the amount of the "gift certificate".
Old 10-09-03, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by Shimmer35
Because those "gift certificates" (vouchers) are like store credit. You only have to pay tax on what you spend over the amount of the "gift certificate".
I don't believe that's true. The store still has to add the sales tax charge onto the item before they can let it go out the door. Otherwise, everyone in the country who goes shopping would just buy store gift certificates first so as to get out of paying sales tax. The government wouldn't allow a loophole like that when its income is affected.
Old 10-09-03, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's like how McDs charges you tax on a free item.
Old 10-09-03, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Roan
Does your Hori controller work pretty good?
Old 10-09-03, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just got the GBP in today. I had been putting it off, but I realized that I'd buy it eventually, so I might as well get it now.

I've had the Hori controller since it's been out, practically. I bought it in anticipation of the GBP, but I've been able to use it in the original NES games packed in Animal Crossing and Metroid Prime, as well as the Sonic Mega Collection. I'd say it works great. It feels a little different than a Nintendo controller, but after using it for a brief time period it feels natural. I can't find any faults with it, so I guess that means it's good.