DVD Talk
My Music Folder ... help with album art/folder preview [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : My Music Folder ... help with album art/folder preview

Venom
10-07-03, 12:51 AM
since i now have my comp hooked up with my stereo i've been trying to put all my cds on the computer. while browsing my music i've noticed that if i click on a folder i'll see the album sub folders and some will have a picture of the album art. but others do not.
i like the album art preview and would like to have it for all the folders but i don't know how the art is appearing.

i'm using musicmatch to rip the cds. some newer cds don't get me the art and some older ones do. so i'm thinking it isn't grabbing any info thats on the cd itself. is it musicmatch doing it on it's on? and then why aren't some albums appearing?

joeblow69
10-07-03, 10:00 AM
I noticed that MS Media Player will put the album art onto the folder when you rip to WMA. It looks neat, but isn't worth having wmas on your computer, IMO. You can do it yourself by right clicking on the folder and choosing properties (somewhere in there there's an option to change the image for the folder).

Xanager
10-07-03, 11:49 AM
You can always go to amazon or something, and search for the album. The just save the jpeg to your folder. This is a little more time consuming though.

DVDealer
10-08-03, 02:38 AM
Originally posted by Venom
since i now have my comp hooked up with my stereo i've been trying to put all my cds on the computer. while browsing my music i've noticed that if i click on a folder i'll see the album sub folders and some will have a picture of the album art. but others do not.
i like the album art preview and would like to have it for all the folders but i don't know how the art is appearing.

i'm using musicmatch to rip the cds. some newer cds don't get me the art and some older ones do. so i'm thinking it isn't grabbing any info thats on the cd itself. is it musicmatch doing it on it's on? and then why aren't some albums appearing?

It depends on what Musicmatch has stored for a given CD in it's CD information database, that it has along with title information. Once you rip your CD's, you can of course add your own artwork to your MP3 files if they haven't got artwork already stored in them from MusicMatch's title info database when the files get initially ripped.

Just right click a song in your library or select a whole album's worth and then click "Find Art File" button and find either a JPG file or a bmp file (IE should be able to save GIF images as BMP files that can be imported), and presto, you have album art for those MP3 files.

There are many other things you can store such as lyrics, genre, etc. with this editing function.

Venom
10-09-03, 05:20 AM
thanks for the replies

TheSilverSurfer
10-09-03, 09:56 PM
heres how it works....

tools-folder options-view-show hidden files and folders
and uncheck hide protected operating system files...

now when you go into the folders that have a picture you'll notice 2 more files.... an .ini file and a .jpg file i believe. xp gets the album art from the jpg. so know you know where it graps it from you can put whatever jpg u want there....

go to AMG - All Music Guide (http://www.allmusic.com/)

and browse to your album...

right click that picture and save it to the very folder you want the picture to go to...

example... david bowie - heroes album save the picture to the david bowie - heroes folder...

then when you browse to my music where the david bowie folder is you should see the album art.

***i might be wrong on the location of the jpg (i'm on win2k) it might be in with the tracks....cant remember...but use your others that do work as a template...just do it like that for the others.***

when i ran xp i used windows media player to rip the cd's to mp3's...i've got the dvd & mp3 x pack. windows media player will grab the album information, including art from the cddb (cd database) and save this configuration automatically.

hope this helps...