Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Would you buy a Virtual Boy now?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-03, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Would you buy a Virtual Boy now?

For some reason I feel like buying a Virtual Boy. I know everyone thinks it was the worst system ever made, but I imagine it can't be that expensive now, and it would be a cool novelty to have. I remember playing it at Blockbuster when I was younger, and I thought it was fun then but who knows what I would think now. What do the rest of you think? Should I try to get one?

On a side note, does it plug into the wall or does it require AA batteries?
Old 10-06-03, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Takes an AC adaptor.

Can usually be had on ebay for $25 or less, games around $5.

I always thought it would just cause a bad headache... and be painful to keep your head in the same position all the time while playing it. Still, I wouldn't mind a chance to check out the games.
Old 10-07-03, 12:17 AM

I know someone who got one not too long ago. Just as a collectors item type of thing. Theyre fairly cheap and if you like collecting or just having that sort of thing, go for it. I know I'm going to get one sooner or later, for collection purposes. What kind of console collection would be if I only had the successful ones?
Old 10-07-03, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts
I do wish I had gotten one when they were selling for $20. How much was it when it came out? $199?
Old 10-07-03, 12:26 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Tanman, I think $199.

The VB uses an AC Adapter AND 6 AA Batteries.

I own two Virtual Boys, and break them out every once in a while. Game wise I would reccomend Mario Clash, Mario Tennis, and Wario Land.
Old 10-07-03, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I remember getting used VB games from Blockbuster for only $.01, and only later getting the actual system. Why, Gunpei Yokoi, WHY?!
Old 10-07-03, 05:57 AM

I still have my Virtual Boy. It's not a great system but I love it. The boxing game is cool. The screen "cracks" when you get knocked out. It takes 6 AA batteries or the adapter. The adapter is sweet since it goes through batteries pretty fast. Anyway, I'd get it if it were cheap. But don't get the baseball game, wow was that one bad.
Old 10-07-03, 06:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have one and do enjoy it. No headaches or anything like that...

I think I have every game made for it except that Jack pumpkin game.

The system is not that bad, the problem for Nintendo is that is wasn't that good either. There no was no killer ap for the unit, so all the games were just glorified GB games. So I don't think anyone saw it as being a worthwhile investment.
Old 10-07-03, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have one and wouldn't have bought one now.... the all red graphics is pretty straining to your eye, most of the games' graphics isn't that great (more like paper cuts, like N64's paper mario graphics but it wasn't intended to be that way, unlike Paper Mario). Red Alert is really the only game where I felt the 3D worked. I mean seriously, the system has a number of puzzle games, do you really need the 3D effects for Tetris???
Old 10-07-03, 09:12 AM

I bought one for $10 on clearance many years ago. I had tennis and one other game. It was pretty fun, but the thing gave me a headache, and it was mostly a novelty game. I gave it to a friend to give to his kid.
Old 10-07-03, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Damn, I'm looking on ebay and the auctions are ending at around 60 bucks. A little higher than I thought, but I still might have to pick one up.
Old 10-07-03, 09:25 AM

Yeah, they have gained value as of late as a collector item. Another 5 years and I bet they are over $100. That's better then inflation, so it's an ok investment!
Old 10-07-03, 09:28 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

I bought one when they hit $20 along with 8-10 games for $4 each. It was cool for a while. Mario Tennis was fun.

Anyway, I waited 3 years and sold everything for $200 on Ebay.
Old 10-07-03, 09:31 AM

I bought one of these stupid things when they first came out. Mario Tennis was fun for about an hour, but I never really enjoyed any of the other games, and I also got a headache after playing it too long. Plus it is bulky and awkward, not very handheld at all.
Old 10-07-03, 09:39 AM

Got one off ebay a few years ago with a large assortment of games for about $50. It is a cool little toy but hardly a great gaming system. I recommend Teleroboxer, Galactic Pinball, Wario Land, Tennis, and Vertical Force (Kinda like Ikaruga but instead of switching colors you switch from top to bottom).

I will second the vote that the baseball game is TERRIBLE

As a side note, the most comfortable way to play this is lying on your back, VB resting on your face with stand on your chest. Warning - you WILL get a VB outline around your eyes like you've been skiing.
Old 10-07-03, 04:35 PM
Moderator Emeritus

I almost bought one a couple years back. I worked at a Waldensoftware in 95-96, and sometimes passed the time playing Mario Tennis. I was pissed when the manager gave our demo unit to the assistant manager instead of me.
Old 10-07-03, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Still have mine. If this would have head a head strap and been in color it would have been a great system.