Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Hollywood destroys films to thwart pirates

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-03, 10:50 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a tidbit off of the Chicago Sun-Times you guys might find of intrest. . . .

Have you been seeing spots when you go to the movies? It may not be your eyes! More than 20 years ago Kodak devised a system called "Cap Code" designed to uniquely mark film prints so that pirated copies could be traced to the source. Cap Code uses very tiny dots that flash occasionally but are so small that the average viewer almost never notices them.

Well, something new and horrible has been introduced on some studios' prints. Sort of a giant picture-marring version of Cap Code dots: Very large reddish brown spots that flash in the middle of the picture, usually placed in a light area. They flash in various patterns throughout a given reel while other reels of the same film may have none at all.

A Kodak spokesman who helped devise the original Cap Code says this is not the work of his company but theorizes that it may be intended to be more visible on the murky compressed copies that get posted to the Internet where the original, very subtle Cap Code may be difficult to discern.

On one movie technical forum they are referring to this new system as "Crap Code" or "Cap Code on Steroids." There are reports coming in of viewers complaining of the spots on the pictures. While theaters strive to keep prints free of dirt and scratches, Hollywood starts sending out prints with built-in marring. Among the films known to be afflicted are "Ali," "Behind Enemy Lines," "28 Days Later" "Freddy vs. Jason" and "Underworld," probably many others as well.

A. You're the expert projectionist at our Chicago critics' screening room, with a fierce love of high-quality film, so I can imagine how upset you are. What's amusing about Crap Code and the other efforts to catch pirates is that most of the thieves are apparently industry insiders. A recent news story says studios may even be discouraged from distributing advance DVDs of their Oscar contenders to academy members, because some of these movies quickly find their way to the Web.
Old 10-06-03, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

wow
Old 10-06-03, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Hollywood destroys films to thwart pirates

Originally posted by El-Kabong
A. You're the expert projectionist at our Chicago critics' screening room, with a fierce love of high-quality film, so I can imagine how upset you are. What's amusing about Crap Code and the other efforts to catch pirates is that most of the thieves are apparently industry insiders. A recent news story says studios may even be discouraged from distributing advance DVDs of their Oscar contenders to academy members, because some of these movies quickly find their way to the Web.

It is true that the dvd screeners are often the material that spreads out to the net, but considering advance promo copies to stores and so forth are also apart of that, killing off screeners wont stop it.

If they actually took some measures to follow up on who's copy is being used as the master print then they could stop that act of screeners. But theater cam and telesync versions will always be around.
Old 10-06-03, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts
(Image removed, will return it later. -Rich)

Just a quick sample of it.. See that little T?

I've only ever really noticed it during one movie - Once Upon a Time in Mexico.

To it's credit, it's only a frame or two, and no more irritating than Cigarette Burns (which I never would have started noticing had it not been for Fight Club... grrr)

Last edited by RichC2; 10-07-03 at 10:19 AM.
Old 10-07-03, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by RichC2

Just a quick sample of it.. See that little T?
"Who is she? She's beautiful..." - Luke

-Gunshy
Old 10-07-03, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts
That's Tara Reid. (Photo is from My Boss's Daughter)
Old 10-07-03, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Woah thats crazy! I dont think it'll make a difference but i bet some people are going to complain that their movies are "ruined" by it.
Old 10-07-03, 05:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
As long as they keep them on the DVDs!
Old 10-07-03, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by The Bus
As long as they keep them on the DVDs!
No Crap Code = No sale!
Old 10-07-03, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Holy shit! I started noticing this on Freddy Vs. Jason and have seen it on a few films since as well. I kinda thought it was some subliminal message or something!
Old 10-07-03, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've been noticing it all over the place... I thought I was going crazy!!! I've seen it in many films lately...but there was one film where it KEPT happening and was extremely annoying...but of course, I can't think what movie it was...maybe Underworld...

MATT
Old 10-07-03, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My eyes are NOT playing tricks on me after all! I thought I was going MAD, but now I see that those dots are really there.

I had a bet going about them, and now my friend the flying tyrannosaurus owes me fifty venusian dollars. Won't he be pissed! Thanks for proving I'm not mad!
Old 10-07-03, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

does anyone else have an image? rich hasn't returned his yet...
Old 10-08-03, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 626 Likes on 482 Posts
Originally posted by mdc3000
I've been noticing it all over the place... I thought I was going crazy!!! I've seen it in many films lately...but there was one film where it KEPT happening and was extremely annoying...but of course, I can't think what movie it was...maybe Underworld...

MATT
I saw this the most during Underworld (barely noticed it during Freddy vs. Jason and Once Upon A Time In Mexico). It just kept happening every so often but I assumed it was just a screw up whil;e printing the interpositive.