Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Lightguns and 100hz TV compatibility

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-03, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightguns and 100hz TV compatibility

I've been playing quite a few lightgun games recently (Resident Evil: Dead Aim was more fun than I expected), and I've been looking for a gun compatible with my main TV - a Sony WEGA 36XBR450. I came across this lightgun:

http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?cat...ducts_id=3687&
(Xbox version linked, but there's also PS2 version)

I'm finding conflicting information about these models - these FAQs generically say the gun is compatible with Sony WEGA TVs, but another FAQ says the PS2 model's compatibility is the same as a gun called the Scorpion 3, who's FAQ then says it's incompatible with a similar TV.

Anyway, all this aside, I'm posting here because I was wondering if anyone had experience with this lightgun, or knew whether it was compatible with my TV. Also does anyone know why the XBR line is incompatible with most lightguns (it sounds like it's more than just the 100hz refresh rate)? Thanks.
Old 10-07-03, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your TV is an HDTV.

HDTVs and EDTVs are incompatible with current light gun technology. There are a few exceptions; you can find a short list of compatible TVs at http://www.namco.com/support

This kinda sucks, because as more and more people buy HDTVs, less and less people will be able to play light gun games. Either that, or engineers are going to have to come up with some new way to implement light gun technology.

I have an HDTV (Sony 34xbr800), and my light guns don't work with it, so I have a regular analog TV sitting next to it for the times I want to play gun games.