Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Adventures of Tintin by Anchor Bay in UK

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-03, 11:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what I see on the Anchor Bay site in uk they have all the 5 Tintin Volumes out already which covers all the 21 episodes.

I was wondering if anyone who lives in UK would be willing to see if they can find these cheap locally and send them to me.

Or if someone can point we to a site that has them for cheap. Even at 15.99 pounds, which I found, it's over $150.00 after shipping. I'm trying to keep it close to $100.00 if possible.

thanks for any help or info
Old 10-06-03, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

RetroWarez did have the Tintin DVDs for only £9.98 as part of a special promotional sale from Anchor Bay (shipping was only £1 to the US). However, the promotion ended and they are currently going for £14.98 plus £1 shipping, quite a price jump.

drstevew on eBay is affiliated with the Retrowarez website (check the info on the site). Currently, volume 1 and volume 5 are available on eBay from drstevew for £9.99 plus £2 shipping, making them about $20 each. They did have all five volumes up for that price and they may put volumes 2 through 4 back up if they have enough stock.

I purchased volume 1 only to see if I wanted to own all five of them. I haven't received it yet, but it was only shipped last week. Here are links to the eBay auctions:

Forum Rules

Last edited by benedict; 10-06-03 at 01:26 PM.
Old 10-06-03, 11:45 AM

very nice, thanks dude.

Can you do me a favor and write up a little review when you get your dvd? I've been wanting this series for a long time and I figured this is a good time to buy since all 5 volumes are out.

I Originaly was going to buy the 11 dvd french box set but they discontinued them before I got a chance to buy it. However I do see that there is a chinese version of it. These are not the VCD's but actual dvds. They come in the very same dvd cover art as the french one except they only have eng/french/chinese languages and subtitles.

Forum Rules

I'm not sure how the quality on these things are and if they are just vcd ripes or something.

I was simply reffering to quality of a product that might be similar to vcd quality, a reference. My link in no way was pointing to a vcd rip or anything similar. thank you for reopening the thread.

Last edited by ashegam; 10-07-03 at 11:43 PM.
Old 10-06-03, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Bensonsworld has all five volumes on sale for £9.50 each. I believe that shipping is an additional 50p per disc.
Old 10-07-03, 11:48 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As a result of a member's request, I've re-opened this to facilitate discussion of legitimate releases.

Thank you all, in advance, for your understanding and co-operation.

Benedict
Moderator, International DVD Talk
Old 10-07-03, 11:56 AM

They were at 3 for 20 quids at HMV. My guess is that you have to wait a bit the offer will be back one day or the other.
Just watch dvdpricecompare from time to time.
Old 10-07-03, 01:28 PM

educate me butch. What site is HMV? and what form of currency is quids? thanks.
Old 10-07-03, 01:48 PM

HMV is a store much the same as Virgin, Tower Records, etc. They generally don't have great prices but every now and again come up with good deals. I remember they did HKLs for 10 quid a while back. There used to be a couple of stores in NYC (Times Square) but they closed a little while ago. They're much bigger in the UK, or at least were when I used to live there (18 months ago). They have various websites hmv.com, hmv.ca, hmv.co.uk

Quid is a slang term for british pounds. You might also hear sterling or dabs.
Old 10-07-03, 02:22 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by JonnyH
HMV is a store much the same as Virgin, Tower Records, etc. They generally don't have great prices but every now and again come up with good deals. I remember they did HKLs for 10 quid a while back. There used to be a couple of stores in NYC (Times Square) but they closed a little while ago. They're much bigger in the UK, or at least were when I used to live there (18 months ago). They have various websites hmv.com, hmv.ca, hmv.co.uk

Quid is a slang term for british pounds. You might also hear sterling or dabs.
hmv.ca has merged with Amazon, so I'd be curious to see if the sending time is sped up, since I haven't probs in that respect with Amazon. HMV.co.uk is still HMV and generally has some good sales here and now, they have excellent pricing for CD - DVD singles and international shipping.
Old 10-07-03, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow. Three for £20 at HMV? I wish that they were that cheap again. That's a great price. I can't even find any Tintin DVDs on HMV right now. Hopefully they come back at that price. (And £10 for HKLs?!? Wish I hadn't missed that one too...)

The £10 total for each at Bensons-world is better than anything I've seen of late, including the ones I posted above. Thanks for the info, Gypo66.

As for the review, ashegam, I'll be sure to write something up when I have a chance to watch it. It arrived yesterday in perfect shape. I popped both discs in to make sure they played and noticed that the picture quality isn't the greatest. It looks almost like they are a tape to digital transfer; i.e. no better than VHS. I could be wrong as I haven't seen a VHS of these.

Also, if it matters, while the discs are definitely PAL, they apparently are not region-coded. Every etailer I've seen lists them as R2, but that may simply be an assumption because they are UK discs. (It's annoying too because I still don't have a non-region 1/0 disc to try out in my new Philips 727!)

Thank you, benedict, for reopening the thread.
Old 10-07-03, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Butch Coolidge
They were at 3 for 20 quids at HMV. My guess is that you have to wait a bit the offer will be back one day or the other.
Just watch dvdpricecompare from time to time.
Can you give the exact URL for "dvdpricecompare"? I tried www.dvdpricecompare.com but they don't seem to have non-region 1 titles. Thanks.
Old 10-08-03, 03:49 AM

Sorry here it is

http://www.dvdpricecheck.co.uk

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=5254

Last edited by Butch Coolidge; 10-08-03 at 04:05 AM.
Old 10-08-03, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the link, Butch Coolidge to the "Multiregion DVD PriceChecker. I thought you meant another one. I'm familiar with that one. So you mean I should regularly check them by entering "Tintin" in the search field to determine if it's priced low somewhere, I guess. Okay. Cool.

Thanks for the second link to the review of volumes 1 and 2. That'll save me some time from doing a full review. From what I just read and from the brief snippets that I watched, I think my review would mirror that of the site. Thanks.
Old 10-08-03, 06:16 PM

You may want to see if the Benelux versions are still in print. These featured the same transfers as the French releases, which were much better than the Anchor Bay releases. Perhaps dvdzone2 might still have stock or be able to order them...