Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Do big time concerts ever start on time?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-03, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are they even supposed to start on the time on the ticket?

What time does a 7:30pm Concert Start

When a concert ticket says it's going to start at 7:30pm....what time will it actually start?

Do they intentionally start late? Do they ever start at 7:30pm.
Old 10-02-03, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
I have found that these days most concerts start on time, especially at larger venues. Club shows can be a different story though. They want you in there as long as possible buying booze.
Old 10-02-03, 03:50 PM

That(time on ticket) is normaly when the opening act goes on. As for the starting time, it all depends on if all the gear is fully set up on time, and in working order. Some shows can start five minutes early or even five to ten minutes late. Most of the shows I've been to have started on time. Some bands are known for makeing the crowd wait a little longer, but in this day and age of concert curfews being at 11:00 to 11:30 in most towns, the shows seem to go on as scheduled.
Old 10-02-03, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I can't think of any recent shows, big or small, that I've been to that were late. The most I can recall of any show would be about 20 minutes. I'd be pissed if they pulled shit like that just so more people would buy beer. A lots of places here serve alcohol too for shows, so I'm kinda surprised I never noticed this.
Old 10-02-03, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Depends a little but upon the band. Some are notorious for being very late.
For example, Bruce Springsteen has a reputation for starting about an hour late (no opening acts, you just sit there for an hour)
Old 10-02-03, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I recently saw a show with a big act who had no opening act. The showtime was listed as 8pm, and the doors opened at 7pm. Around 7:30, the bass player came on stage with an acoustic guitar and a stool and played some of his own songs for the crowd as they filtered into the venue finding their seats and buying beer. It was very informal. At 7:55, he left the stage, and at 8pm on the nose, the whole band was on stage performing. They played for over 3 hours. I had never really seen anything like that before. It was informal but professional and much better than standing around for over an hour waiting for the opening act to go on and then standing around for another 30-45 minutes waiting for the next act (and sometimes another 30-45 minutes before the headliner).

das
Old 10-02-03, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
well the recent g&r tour was really bad from what i heard. two crap opening acts, and then they make you wait an hour or even 2 hours, starting around 10 or 11 pm and then going on for the show for 2 or 3 hours.
Old 10-03-03, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Movie_Man
Some are notorious for being very late.
For example, Bruce Springsteen has a reputation for starting about an hour late (no opening acts, you just sit there for an hour)
True...it's typically 45-60 minutes before he hits the stage from the "ticket time". But the other side of the coin is that he's actually onstage for about 3 hours

Longest wait I can recall was 90 minutes for Zeppelin back in 77, no opening act. They did play for over 3 hours when they finally decided to grace us with their "Presence"

In 85, U2 made everybody wait for an hour after the opening act left, then played for about 80 minutes

Those extremes aside, most everybody else I've seen is onstage around 10-20 minutes after the scheduled time

Last edited by Illinois Enema Bandit; 10-03-03 at 12:11 PM.
Old 10-03-03, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

during the smashing pumpkins' farewell tour, there was no opening act, yet it took about an hour from the ticket time for them to come on stage. and the doors were opening about 30 minutes ahead of the scheduled ticket time. no biggie if you couldn't make it early, i guess.
Old 10-03-03, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've attended over 500 concerts in my life....and never expected a show to start on time. I'm there when the gates/doors open.
Old 10-03-03, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Out of the hunderds of shows I've been to, I'd say roughly 15% of them have started late - the remaining 85% were on time.
Old 10-05-03, 03:48 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I waited about 40 minutes for the aquabats, after their second opening act. that was way too long, considering it was a very small venue.

my feet hurt