Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Official N-Gage Launch Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-03, 02:48 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
The Official N-Gage Launch Thread

This is the official thread to discuss the N-Gage and its launch games. DO NOT Post here if you are going to bad-mouth the system.

With EB's recent trade-in promotion (old GBA and any 7 games for $100), it knocked the price of the N-gage to $200, which sounds more reasonable for me. At launch, I will be picking up Pandemonium and Monkey Ball (Tony Hawk was delayed, and I was never really a Tomb Raider fan).

Anyone else looking forward to the N-Gage? I am still uncertain if I want to use it as a cell phone, or just a MP3 Player/FM Radio/Game system.

Also, at launch, the only retailers carrying it will be EB, GameStop, Target, Best Buy, and Circuit City.
Old 09-30-03, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd still need to get a hands-on before passing judgement either way. $200 plus the cost of games. still seems kinda expensive.
Old 09-30-03, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts
Did you see the EGM review of the system? Let's just say they weren't real impressed. The title of the article was 555-LAME.

Please don't shoot the messenger here; I'm not bashing (in fact I have no feelings about this system one way or the other). I was just suprised they were as harsh as they were. Are there any reviews on the web yet?
Old 09-30-03, 04:57 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://www.netjak.com/review.php/417
The Game Boy Advance, right now, has the kind of market saturation that Microsoft could only dream of. Seriously, what was the last challenger to any edition of the Game Boy that was taken seriously? Of all companies to come with the backbone to take on Nintendo, Nokia is not the one I saw coming. But they saw a natural convergence between their phone services and the portable gaming market, possibly because games are such a profitable portion of the portable phone industry.

As such, we are about to see the launch of the N-Gage. Due to a benefactor, I got a week with one, complete with ten launch titles. So for everyone out there, I did a crash gaming session, complete with messing around with the phone’s various other functions and in general giving myself a case of bad eyestrain. All this, and Nokia wants to charge you 300 bucks, before service, for this. Oh boy.

Anyhow, the first thing is handling the system itself. In terms of architecture, it’s very compact. It’s about two-thirds the length of the standard Game Boy Advance, but otherwise the same dimensions. It’s also really light, half the weight of a GBA with batteries and game. Not like the GBA was a heavy burden, but you’ll hardly notice this at all in your pocket. Nokia should be applauded for fitting it all in such a package.

However, the button layout is very poor. The power switch is a small, black switch on the upper right side, and you will likely not notice it the first time you pick it up. There are no shoulder buttons for games, and the primary game function keys are the 5 and 7 keys on the dialing pad, on which there is no space between the numbers. The entire layout feels almost claustrophobic, with a very busy design and it’s quite easy for the more ham-handed to hit multiple buttons at once. Moreover, with no shoulder buttons, your thumb has to do all the work during games, which quickly becomes no fun.

First, I should discuss the phone’s other functions. As a phone itself, well, it’s terrible, to be honest. The onboard microphone and speaker are terrible, and the only way you can hear correctly is if you hold it perpendicular to your head, as the photo above is showing. Moreover, due to its shape, you’ll end up saying much what I said to my fellow Netjak staffer Clay when I called him: “Guess where I’m calling you from? A taco!” In fact, for the rest of this review, this product shall now be called El Taco. You can plug headphones into a jack at the bottom, and these function much better than the built-in equipment. I’d complain, but sadly most phones are being built like this and there’s precious little my complaints are going to do about it.

Anyhow, El Taco does get rather strong reception, and I had no problem calling from anywhere in my house, whereas my actual cell phone service varies from totally clear to not available depending on where in my kitchen you stand, let alone the rest of the house. This may vary from carrier to carrier (the phone came preloaded with T-Mobile), but I was overall impressed with the quality of the phone.

I then went into messing around with the mp3 player. I placed my Totally Legal mp3 files (tm, and thanks to They Might Be Giants for selling them to me) onto the machine with the handy USB adapter that the phone came with. Not bad on its own by using the loudspeaker, but with headphones, Long Tall Weekend (TMBG’s mp3-only album) came through like I was at the studio. The interface wasn’t totally intuitive, and it wasn’t as effort-free as the iPod, but it certainly holds up as a portable mp3 player.

I then decided to try the radio setup on El Taco. This was perhaps the strongest suit of the phone. I tried several stations in the area, even a few that I knew didn’t come in too well where I live. Each one came in clearly, and it wasn’t hard to find them either by random channel scan or inputting their frequencies manually. I must say, the internal antenna on this is quite powerful.

The phone also comes with some PDA-style tools on board. You have a notepad, a calendar, and an address book. What you don’t have, however, is a stylus or a keyboard pad to make these useful. I’m sorry, but I refuse to sit there hitting the number pad repeatedly to take down some notes when I could do it much faster with this amazing pair of inventions, “pencil” and “paper” which cost a fraction of a phone shaped like a Mexican entrée.

But hey, that’s not why you’re reading Netjak. You want to know how this holds up as a gaming machine. Well, to be honest, it’s the most idiotic idea to come across in gaming. Ever. Well, no, that would really be the Phantom, but this is the worst idea that actually happened.

To begin, let’s actually get a game in there. First, you take off the back cover. Then, you remove the battery from its position. Finally, you can hit the tab that causes the game to slide out. Then after you put the game in, you can get it back together and play. Many problems spring to mind. First, this easily sets records for the longest it takes just to start playing, even if I’m switching which console is hooked up manually to my television. Secondly, taking apart everything constantly is a good way to start losing parts of your phone, which if I may say sounds like an exceptionally Bad Thing. Third, wouldn’t it have made more sense to simply have an external slot with an eject button to get the game cards (about the size of my thumbnail) out? Finally, I remember being told not to mess around with my battery when I got my cell phone (also made by Nokia), because it would cause it to lose charge. Is Nokia doing something stupid, or was the guy selling me my cell phone giving me the run-around? Either way, something about that doesn’t sit well with me.

One thing that does, though is the use of Bluetooth for connecting with others. All you and someone else have to do is enable it, and you can start playing multiplayer games. Moreover, you don’t have to get close and personal, like you do with the Game Boy Advance’s link cable. Nintendo, if they’re smart, should take a cue from this and try to figure out how to do this with their own portables.

It could be partly because I’ve had to remove the battery so much. Or maybe because I have to rely on the system’s backlighting to see. But this sucker eats battery charge fast. Granted, as a cell phone, it does come with a charger. And it does hold its charge well for a cell phone. But as a gaming console, it just eats power at an absurd rate. With a couple of Duracell Ultras, I can play the GBA for around 5 times as long. When does this matter? When I’m playing on the subway, when someone wants a portable for a plane flight or car trip, or anytime when you plan on being with your portable for a long time. That, and spare batteries are much cheaper for the GBA.

The biggest problem, though, is that the launch titles, even the best of them, feel like an afterthought on behalf of the manufacturers. Playing the games, I know each of these manufacturers could do better. Yeah, even THQ, although they’d only marginally improve. When every single game on the system feels like a pale imitation of what is available elsewhere, you don’t feel the burning need to own it for any games.

Of course, I do fear what would happen if a game ever tried to use its full potential. As it stands, the system has the worst load times this side of a malfunctioning Playstation. This is true across the board, with every game and function the system has. It very well may be that in order to make the system as light as it is, they sacrificed some of the guts required to make it as powerful as it should be.

What bothers me the most, though, is the screen. Yes, it is backlit, but that’s sacrificed by the fact that the screen size is exactly half of that as the Game Boy Advance. They are the same height, but the GBA’s screen is half the width. Look, Nokia, my vision is bad enough, did you have to attempt to exacerbate the problem by making me squint constantly at this? I really don’t want crow’s feet, you know. The small screen makes manufacturers choose whether to sacrifice clarity as ease of seeing or sacrifice the playability of the game by making the pixels so large that you can’t see what else you might need to see.

In theory, El Taco is a great idea. However, Nokia tries to do too much with the machine. Seriously, I already own a GBA, a cell phone, and a Walkman, and it cost me less than the $300 that Nokia wants for this. Moreover, I find that each of these dedicated machines generally outperforms the Nokia at their tasks. Okay, so I could stand to use a new Walkman, but still, it’s not worth it to replace everything with an N-Gage. Maybe, if the price comes down and they work out the kinks, this will be worth it. Until then, though, Nintendo doesn’t have to worry for the time being about their portable hegemony. Until Nokia learns the lesson Microsoft swallowed before they entered the console market (a gaming machine must focus on gaming to succeed), they’re not going to do anything but be a distraction.
Old 09-30-03, 08:05 PM
Suspended

Any EB Employees here? I just did the GBA and 7 games for $100 off, and then EBGames has a promo where if you buy a N-Gage and 2 games, you get a $100 rebate (gift voucher). However, it states you must buy it from EBGames.COM, not the store. I was then reading my new GMR issue, and it states the $100 gift voucher is available at EBgames (does not say .COM). Is this promo available at the actual store?
Old 09-30-03, 08:34 PM
Suspended

I just confirmed with 3 different EB's that the $100 voucher for buying the system and 2 games will work at the retail stores as well. This helps the cost of the system for some thinking about buying it...

N-gage and 2 games (Lets say $400 with tax)
Trade-in a GBA and 7 games for $100 off. ($300 now)
Gift Voucher for purchasing a N-gage and 2 games (Still $300 out of pocket, but you will be able to pick up 2-3 more games/accessories when you receive the voucher)

This helped me decide to purchase an N-gage, even though it will not be used as a phone. With the abaility to play Monkey Ball and Pandemonium, and then receive Tony Hawk, Taito Collection, and Red Faction for free...for a combined total for $400, its a great deal to me. (Thats not including the face that it has a MP3 Player, Radio, Blue Tooth, PDA Functions, Cell Phone, and downloadable stuff if you use it as a cell phone...)
Old 09-30-03, 09:05 PM
Banned

This picture is at gamespot. It basically a size comparison.

http://www.gamespot.com/gamespot/mis...s/dsc03042.jpg
Old 09-30-03, 09:20 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Originally posted by Pender
This picture is at gamespot. It basically a size comparison.

http://www.gamespot.com/gamespot/mis...s/dsc03042.jpg
That's a really tiny screen. How is anyone suppose to see that?
Old 09-30-03, 09:23 PM
Suspended

The screen isn't as bad as the picture posted, but I dislike the fact that its not like the GBA's. I'll be giving a full review on the system as soon as I get mine next week.
Old 09-30-03, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That screen would be sweet for some "old school" vertical shooter action. Where are the Treasure ports? I'm looking forward to reading your review Gizmo!
Old 09-30-03, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Maybe when Nintendo goes thrid party they will release some of their good GBA games on it.
Old 10-01-03, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Gizmo, you've got balls buddy. Best of luck with your purchase, I'm looking forward to your review.
Old 10-01-03, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts
Although I've had a cell phone for years, I have no idea how service with a new cell works. Can you just buy this machine, go to your service provider and have them hook it up? Or do you have to wait until your provider gets the phone in?

The real test for this system will be if Verizon, T-mobile, Cingular, and others will adopt it, and give people a discount when they sign up for service. Although most cell phones cost hundreds of dollars, I would think that very few people buy them at retail...
Old 10-01-03, 11:58 AM

Re: The Official N-Gage Launch Thread

Originally posted by GizmoDVD
This is the official thread to discuss the N-Gage and its launch games. DO NOT Post here if you are going to bad-mouth the system.
How can you discuss something if you're demanding just one side of the story? (And based on every review so far of the system and its games, it's a miniscule side.)

Seems like two contradictory requests, if people "badmouthing" it can actually bring up a legitimate issue ('You have to take apart the machine to change games? That kills any chance of success right there.'), rather than, "Dude, it suxxxx!!"
Old 10-01-03, 12:16 PM

Re: The Official N-Gage Launch Thread

Originally posted by GizmoDVD
Hmmm....
Maybe I should start an official PS2 thread.

Old 10-01-03, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Who here is buying one?
Old 10-01-03, 12:41 PM
Suspended

The last N-Gage thread got shut-down because everyone was bad-mouthing the system before it was even released (and only some people have used it). Its rather unfair to judge a system before its released. If you have played the system/games, and don't like it, feel free to post. But don't just post "It sucks!". I agree if someone says that changing the games is a hassle, thats a great point, but again, just saying It sucks is NOT a good reason.

Decker, I have a PS2 (well, a few of them), therefore I beleive I have every right to give my opinion on it. I am purchasing an N-Gage, and wether I like it or not, I will give a review based on it (as well as pandemonium and monkey ball)

Expect my review around October 8th/9th as I want a few days to test all the functions.
Old 10-01-03, 12:51 PM
Suspended

I am (I am sure there must be a few others).
Old 10-01-03, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
*crickets*
Old 10-01-03, 01:31 PM
Suspended

I never said this thing would be a complete success, but I did look at my EB's Pre-order book and they had 29 N-Gage pre-order's...so there ARE some of us out there, hehe.
Old 10-01-03, 01:35 PM
Retired

My take on it (aka why I won't by one).

-Too expensive even with deals currently IMO
-likely won't sell well and thus won't have many games
-current games are all ports or spin offs of existing games
-screen is too small
-vertical screen is lame
-awkward to use as a phone as you have to hold it sideways
-looks stupid when using as phone for same reason
-too big for phone, I only like super small flip phones I can carry in my pants pocket comfortably
-lame to have to take it apart to change games
-button layout looks awkward
Old 10-01-03, 02:43 PM
Banned

heres 2 more screens from gamespot. First pic is the comparing the size of the packageing of the game and the video game cartiage. The second pic is the back where you put the game and where the battery is.

http://www.gamespot.com/gamespot/mis...s/dsc03030.jpg

http://www.gamespot.com/gamespot/mis...s/dsc03027.jpg
Old 10-01-03, 03:01 PM
Banned

I actually like that packaging design. Nice idea.

fujishig - you buy the system with a preinstalled chip from either AT&T or T-Mobile.
Old 10-01-03, 03:07 PM

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
My take on it (aka why I won't by one).

-likely won't sell well and thus won't have many games
-current games are all ports or spin offs of existing games
-screen is too small
-vertical screen is lame
-awkward to use as a phone as you have to hold it sideways
-looks stupid when using as phone for same reason
-too big for phone, I only like super small flip phones I can carry in my pants pocket comfortably
-lame to have to take it apart to change games
-button layout looks awkward
I agree with these points. It just seems like a recipe for disaster. $300 for a system that requires you to remove the battery to swap games?

My main question is what does Ngage have that the GBA/SP doesn't (at 1/3 of the price)? Aside from the MP3 player- does anyone seriously intend to use this as their cellphone? It also will not have one of the main things that makes the GB so successful- Nintendo games! I do hope for the people here that bought/will buy the system that developer support won't die off too soon.

(edit: the packaging for the games is neat- enough with the paper boxes already Nintendo!)

Last edited by chucks888; 10-01-03 at 03:15 PM.
Old 10-01-03, 03:39 PM

I think Nokia was on the right track with putting together a phone that was also a decent gaming unit. The so-called games that are available on my phone are pathetic. The Bluetooth technology was a great idea also. But to make it so hard to change cartriges is silly. Very bad idea and when the word gets out, that'll hurt sales. In the short term, the price hurts, so does the lack of a camera, which seem to be all the rage in cell phones now. I think they should have gone with a fold up design similar to the GBA SP since it would be more compact, easier to use as a phone and would allow for a larger screen.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.